1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you wish we had of kept Nikola Mirotic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingkingston, Mar 18, 2015.

Tags:
?

Should we have kept Nikola Mirotic ?

1. Yes

84 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I disagree, and I hate seeing this narrative around here that probably started from the long term D-Mo/Jones doubters (not pointing fingers but one of them has the word Hollic in their moniker). Its like we are already making excuses for Les not wanting to pay to keep the guys we developed long term prematurely. The Rockets developed them... they need to keep them.

Why in the world would you feel the need to move either before February of 2016 just because you thought you some how couldn't afford both? Because you need another position covered more??? How in the world does it make sense for the team to gut the roster of the 2 most reliable and useful young bigs who are set to be with the franchise long term for a PG, or a backup wing? How is a PG that much more important that a solidified front line long term??? Makes no sense.

You NEED both guys right now, and you sure as hell will next season. I believe both guys are restricted in 2016 with full bird rights, and an exploding salary cap. So if you are that scared of their free agency cost, you can move them then and still get assets. However the team is going to be back in the hunt again next year, and both players will be even better. Even a one-year rental of either player might have more value than getting back a 1st rounder or a worse rotation player that is cheaper the following year.

The Rockets have the assets elsewhere to still make whatever moves they feel they need to make. If another Dragic comes around (that wants to sign with Houston long term) then we will cross that bridge when we come to it, but right now I don't see that good of a player at the PG position being available for some time.

After they give up the pick for the Lin trade, they will have ALL of their 1st rounders, and other young players as well (player from Pelles pick, Capela, etc.). If they see a PG out there that is a difference maker, I think they can get him IF THEY WANT him. I don't think they really wanted Rondo, and I don't know if they really wanted RJackson. That was really all that has been available before.

If that's the case, I think the best thing for this team long term is to keep them unless a superstar type of deal comes along, and try and resign BOTH next Summer. I don't see a compelling case yet as to why the Rockets need to have urgency to trade either one just because they will command too much money to retain.

The urgency comes to make other moves that involves free agency before you have to resign them. That's really where they are on the clock.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

FT shooting is the only reason for Mirotic's advantage in TS%.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Mirotic has a much higher rate of 3 pointers and FT, and much higher FT%.

Getting to the line is the most efficient thing you can do overall.

And before anyone says otherwise, more fouls are called, and free throws taken per game in the playoffs.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Part of that is a consequence of their situations. With Dwight and TJones out for half the year, DMo has been our most consistent post presence.

Mirotic plays with Noah, Gasol, and Gibson, who are mostly post players themselves. That means Mirotic is playing more time on the perimeter, either shooting 3s or driving/drawing fouls.

No doubt DMo needs to improve his shooting from the line. < 60% FT for a 37% 3 point shooter is ridiculous.

5. anchel

anchel Member

Mirotic was a lottery prospect, but uncertainty about his future willingness to leave Madrid made him fall until 23rd pick. You never know, see Llull.

I wouldn't treat this as a Rockets mistake, in fact, to get Motiejunas with the 20th pick I considered it as a wise move at the moment and ultimately it looks like a success.

If me missed with Niko, at least 10-15 more teams did it. Same with Rudy Gobert... It happens all the time. But at least we did a very solid pick with D-Mo at the 20th.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Isn't Mirotic playing in the LEastern conference with Pau Gasol? DMo has had to anchor the Rox against the best teams in the NBA and unlike Mirotic who has a triple post threat beside him all he has are guys like TJones and JSmoove who are more of complimentary pieces rather than actual offensive threats. In light of that a less than 1% TS is neglible, in fact this means DMO is the better scorer since he played against harder competition, being in the West DMO plays more games against top teams like Portland, GSW and Spurs vs Mirotic who plays more games against Philly and other crap teams in the L.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mirotic is a 3-4 combination while dmo is a 4-5 combo. Just really depends what you need.

Mirotic gets his pts on the perimeter and has the ability to handle the ball and get a shot in situations. Dmo gets his in the post, dumpoffs, and as of late set 3's.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Those are all reasonable things to consider. I was just pointing out that the numbers that other people were using didn't give an accurate picture of their production.

Along that same vein, if you are going to discuss teammates, you should point out that one of these two plays with the MVP.

9. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Yeah, holy crap. The Hasheem Thabeet of guards.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Judging from the ESPN article on that draft, I'd rather have that Marcus Morris pick back than quibble about Mirotic vs Dmo. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but after Morris went:

15- Kawhi Leonard
    16- Nikola Vučević
    19- Tobias Harris
    22- Kenneth Faried
    24- Reggie Jackson
    60- Isaiah Thomas

Sigh...if only I had a time machine, all I'd have to do is convince Morey I was from the future and really knew what I was talking about...

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Picking DMo over Mirotic was not a bad choice, even though I would probably prefer Mirotic over DMo in hindsight. But giving up a first rounder for the right to pick DMo over Mirotic is too high a price.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

man how did we pick morris over leonard.

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

To be fair Dmo has been on fire from the 3 lately.

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

You do what you have to do to get rid of Brad Miller.

15. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Mirotic had another great game tonight (last night? Idk I'm in Hawaii :)). Starting to really come into his own lately. Obligatory comparison with D-Mo for this season (per 36 numbers):

DMo: 15 pts, 7.5 rbs, 2.3 ast, 0.6 blk, 49.9% fg, 59.3% ft, 36.7% 3pt
    Mirotic: 17.4 pts, 9.1 rbs, 2.2 ast, 1.3 blk, 40.2% fg, 80.5% ft, 31.1% 3pt

Both are 24 years old. Really tough call on who has panned out better. I think I'd still take Dmo right now for because of his size on D and his good percentages (except free throws :rolleyes:). Mirotic has imporved over a lot over the course of the season and is (not surprisingly) a better rebounder than Dmo. I think Mirotic may end up having the better career.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Both wouldve been a god send to this team either way. I think D-Mo serves the better purpose for us at the moment though with all the injuries to the big men and what not. So I think we lucked out that D-Mo was the guy to be with us and came into his own and not Mirotic but like I said in another post, he's looking really good and couldve been a perfect stretch 4.

Thank you D-Mo for adding the pounds, stepping up your game and banging inside even though you suck at rebounding.