1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want the Rockets to renew JVG's contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGYPT, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mag

mag Contributing Member

He is just too stubborn. Now he has two healthy players in Snyder and Bonzi and he still keeps making remarks that the rotation is setup and it is difficult to include these two players. He is so rigid, that he does not realize those two players will help the team.
    Even though he is a good coach, his personality does not contribute the relations with his players. I have noticed during his tenure, that he always has issues with some of the players in the team.
    I am for a new coach.

2. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

i think the results speak for themselves. yes, renew that ****

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just don't know......

Believe it or not, I am on the fence about him.

I think he is slow to adjust, myopic in his views, refuses to try a zone defense when others are using it effectively, and is HORRIBLE at developing players that will make the team better in the end.

However, he has the team playing outstanding defense (Against most teams...those without 2 or more 3 point shooters), and they play with passion. Also, he has helped turn Yao into a monster on the court.

So, even though I despise his personality, and think his mentality leads to injuries etc.....I am not sure that there is a better option out there.

Now, if Rudy T expressed interest, I would do it in a heartbeat.

So....I am thinking before voting.

DD

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

If Alexander renews his contract before the season ends, it will be a huge mistake.

Playoff 2nd round should be the minimum requirement for him if Yao & TMac can play in the playoffs.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Pretty clear the majority supports JVG.

Q?: What kind of college coach would he be? Same? Better? Worse?

I would say better, as I believe his main attribute is motivation that there are no excuses. I say college kids respond to that kind of support more then pros.

6. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The key word here is head coach. JVG is a brilliant assistant coach for defense. IMO, he does not have the tools as far as offensive strategy, patience, developmental skills, etc. to be a head coach. I truly hope I am proved one of Batman Jones' idiots, but I don't see him taking us past the first round.

7. startover

startover Member

I kind of believe he is a good coach, but I do not think he is the RIGHT coach for the Rockets. So, the answer is no.

8. DaDakota

My sentiments exactly.

DD

9. DaDakota

The majority supported Bush too, look where that got us....

:D

DD

10. windfern

windfern Member

He is not a good coach, he is a great coach. And a great coach fits to any great team.

11. windfern

windfern Member

Not the majority of the voters.

12. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

83 extremely smart people think that JVG is a great coach...

way to go. he is a great coach, no doubt about that..

he puts the right players on the court at the right time. this was illustrated in PHX game when John Lucas III played 19 minutes (more than Bonzi and Snyder combined) and jacked up 13 shots making only 3 of them (in a game in which Nash took 10 shots, oh and btw, Steve Nash would be the MVP of the past 2 years). and he made the right choice by keeping him in because he was great on Defense and he shoots the 3 extremely well (1/6).. all of that while keeping Vassillis Spanoulis (AKA the cancer in this team) who is 100 times worse than JL3 and who cant pass the ball worth a crap. nice choice..

he is by far the best adjustment-making coach in history of the NBA. he is so good that I like to call him "the adjustments king". u can see his great adjustment skills if u watch any rockets game. it sticks out for everybody to see. one such instance of his great adjustment was in a recent game. where he took a time out to set things up, and the results were great; a 10-0 run by the other team..another instance is in the Bulls game when Gordon went D-Wade on the Rockets and he kept Luther Head and ALston on him until the double digit we had became a 1 point lead, that's when he made a great adjustment and put Battier on him. luckily, Battier saved his posterior and we got away with a win..

oh, by the way guys, I voted BY MISTAKE for "no, because I dont think he is a good coach".. so please ignore my vote and add a vote to the "yes, because he is good coach"..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If he continues to have players do what they're doing without having the benefit of both of his studs in there, then yes, I want him to renew his contract. If the team craters from this point on, then no, I don't. But good luck finding a better coach. Rick Adelman? Hahaha... he did wonders with all the talent he had in Sacramento, didn't he. He's no better a coach than JVG. The whiners on this board will end up whining about him, too.

14. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

Pick a team, and run with it. Your emotional opinions are ridiculous. One sec, you say "I think he turned yao into a monster", the next post you are on some "my sentiments exactly"?

Take a look at yourself. You are all over the place. You are a negative person. You have LITTLE knowledge of basketball. You are a fairweather fan. You use the internet to spew hatred. Hell, you may not have a life. Maybe this MESSAGE BOARD defines you.

Come on, dude.

I'm rooting for you to turn it around, but quit being such an a**hole. On top of that, you are not knowledgeable about the game.

NOW, post something about V-span, and how he should start. LOL

15. DaDakota

I do like some of the things that JVG has done...but that doesn't mean that I think he is a great coach.

I don't....I think he is an above average coach, but seriously deficient in several areas.

My thoughts are completely consistent......he has done some things well, but that is not enough....

Don't make things personal, it is just my opinion, if you disagree....great...no worries.....

You can question anything you like, in fact I encourage you to take off your blinders and see how we have a very talented team that's championship potential is being wasted with a Napoleonic egomaniac at the head coach position.

As for V-Span starting it worked well with Popovich and Tony Parker.....sometimes you have to recognize potential and let a talented player learn from his mistakes....GREAT coaches do that...JVG....not so much.

As for my knowlege....been coaching basketball for more than 10 years and refereed for 15...so I know a lil bit about the game of hoops...but that doesn't make me an expert....I am just a fan who sees problems with the Rockets that could be easily fixed.

DD

#35 DaDakota, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  16. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'm a JVG supporter. I stick up for him around here all the time.

That said, I still wouldn't renew him. I've said before that I'd prefer a "vanilla" coach to basically sit back and watch this team's talent cohere instead of forcing it into a mold it doesn't fit. Musselman, Barone, whoever. The talent here needs a coach that will let it grow, not cultivate it.

But, as of now, I still hold out hope that the Rox will win it all this year - so JVG's my man until his contract is up.

17. larocketer

larocketer Member

High five on the head coach and assistant coach part. Sure he has been in the league for a long time and has seen some success head coaching, but I just don't see him winning a title.
    Call me a doubter, but his lack of talent recognition and development and proper management will always make the team seemingly short handed, making on court players exhausted and bench players frustrated at the end of games and the season; his lack of game time adjustment will always cost lots of critical games. It'd be too big an odd to win it all under his unconscious control for any team no matter how many proven talents and huge potentials that team has.
    Don't be fooled by the 25-15 record. It could've been better! I won't be surprised to see the current team pass the first round though given the talents we have. But I don't ever see JVG winning a title with any team if he doesn't learn to improve his head coaching skills.

18. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

JVG is a snakeoil saleman...let's hope the rockets are smart and kick him to the curb after the year is over.

19. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

hell no! x 2!!!!!

20. larocketer

larocketer Member

Another game was stolen, this time by Denver :eek: ...