1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

He's been inconsistent, but the talent is definitely there. The advanced stats are good, but I still never feel too confident when he is taking the mound in a save situation tbh.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Not really. I know stat wise he is fine. It I felt a lot more confident when Lidge or Wagner went out there with a one run lead. Although stats say differently I feel like Giles is a 50/50 proposition when he goes out there in a close game. I like Devo where he is at. But do wonder if he would relish being a lock down closer.

3. the shark

the shark Member

@Tex 1IP 1H 1R 1BB
    @KC 1IP 3H 2R
    TOTALS 11.1IP 9R 14H
    *runs in 7 of 12 gms
    *runs in 5 of last 8 gms

There's enough evidence to show that he's a different pitcher on the road compared to home.
    I don't care how some of you want to spin it, but a .810 ERA on the road (and giving up runs in 7 of the 12 gms he's pitched) is flat out horrible!!

For those that want to trust him I say do whatever it is that makes you feel good. As for myself, what I've seen since he's been here, there's cause for concern EVERY single time Hinch puts the ball in his hands. He may get on a roll, but that still doesn't mean that the concern goes away.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

At a 4.24 era it's time to put someone else back there. That's not good enough for this team

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I think he will turn the corner

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Still for Giles over other options.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. Anyone not concerned about Giles is in denial imo. I haven't felt he is THE answer since he's got here. This team is too special for the organization to just hope Giles figures it out. The organization needs to continue to find/try different pitchers to see if there's a better solution than him to close games.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The tallest midget....

The prettiest ugly girl....

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

So the questions are: Do you go out and try and find another starting pitcher that can consistently give you 7 innings? Do you stick with Giles and feel like he's gotta be the closer? Do you give other guys in the bullpen a shot at the job?

Devenski has looked really solid in his outings, and has a good ERA. Something to look at IMO.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Why not do a save rotation group of Feliz, Giles, and Harris to see if any of them do well in the role.

11. T-Perro

T-Perro Member

Giles blew the potential save, but he didn't ****up the game .

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I still trust Giles, and would still take the same tipjar bet I laid out before.

No, it's definitely not yet time for Feliz (inconsistent all year in easier roles) or Harris (we've seen him succeed in 7th/8th, fail in 9th, repeat a bunch of times). Giles has the best stuff, save for Devo--who is being used in a just-as-valuable and more flexible role (that no one else can really handle)

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My feeling is that we shore up our SP staff so the pen doesn't become over taxed. Assuming we can pull that off in some manner, I think we have a very good pen, especially if some combination of Peacock, Paulino, Centeno, Tolliver and Guduan are added to it on a permanent basis. Then may come the time to say goodbye to Sipp and Fiers.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I trust him at home. But his home/road splits (1.50/7.15) are a bit alarming. Its a shame that Gregerson is struggling, otherwise I could see him and Giles switching roles for a while.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wasn't that what we tried last season, in a sense?

kaleidosky likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say the only possible other in-house option with similar upside is Feliz... and the way they've been showcasing him in some end of game situations (albeit not save situations) leads me to believe they feel he could be groomed as a closer in waiting.

His numbers/peripherals are similar to what Lidge had the year prior to being given the closers job after the dotel trade.

I expect Giles home/road splits to even out. The road appearances have featured far more variable situations than the home ones.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Perhaps, but he has looked much more fallible than Lidge in that time before the Dotel trade. More inconsistent and mistake-prone. And that is something we saw from him last year as well. Not to say he doesn't have it in him, but I think he has much farther to grow before he's ready for an every day setup man (8th) role, much less closing.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

For some reason Feliz makes me feel more at ease when he's pitching in late game situations versus the likes of Gregerson, Giles, and even Sipp at times.

It may just be me but I wouldn't put it past the Stros trying to get him in some closing situations as we approach the All-Star break.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Giles is what he is.

He is mediocre.

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'd leave him in the closer role. I think reliever roles are overstated anyways, and taking him out of that role after 2 blown saves seems like an over-reaction to me. Would only further hurt his confidence, which has seemed to be shaky at times.