1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the Major Media has a ____ bias?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, May 25, 2006.

?

Do you think the major media has a _______ bias?

1. Liberal

33 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Conservative

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Neutral

21 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Embellished? How? Where's the quote from Gore? I do know that you and the folks you're defending certainly embellished his wording to ay that "Al Gore says he invented the internet," which he did not ever say.

As to his actual role:

Do you not understand the common sense meaning of "take the initiative"? As far as I can tell (and please, prove me wrong if you know otherwise). Gore does seem to be one of the first senators to propose internent-friendly bills & legislation. How is that not "taking the initiative"? How is that even embellishing? :confused:

#41 SamFisher, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. - Al Gore

3. SamFisher

Once and 4 all, the daily howler:

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh120302.shtml

#43 SamFisher, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 26, 2006
  4. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

The press has a laziness bias

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You could look it up like I did. I provided you the exact words (took the initiative in creating the Internet). Gwayneco provided a longer quote below that contains the full sentence. I am not defending anyone, I am challenging FBs assertion that Gore did not embellish.
    The problem is not with the "take the initiative" half of the quote, it is with the "in creating the Internet" half of the quote. I am sure there are many engineers at Boeing that have helped make commercial aviation what it is today, but they did not play any part in creating heavier than air powered flight. When they came along, there had already been airplanes. When Gore came along, there was already an Internet. Gore did a lot to help make the Internet what it is today, but he played no role in it's creation, legislative or otherwise.

6. SamFisher

And you've been proven completely wrong. He did not embellish. he was the leader in congress as far as internet development and legislation went. That much is undisputed.

"Embellishing" is saying that he said he was the "father of the internet" or "invented the internet", which is what the Washignton Times, the RNC and the rest of the idiotocracy put out.

Actually, wait, that's not "embellishing" -- that's LYING.

Oh I see, so you're taking a "biblical" version of creation of the internet where it was hatched in a lab in 1969 - shockingly this is straight out of RNC talking points. No part of the internet was created after 1969 - therefore the phrasing is impermissible - and he must be delusional.

To hang you hat on this grammatical quirk is - and I'm trying to be civil - indicates that you're either 1. an idiot, or 2. being deliberately obtuse and intellecutally dishonest to play political grab-ass, just like the RNC was when they dreamed this whole thing up in 2000.

By the way, this whole thing is a great exercise in the supposed left wing media bias. The left wing media certainly did their part in spreading around this talking point - so much so that people still cling to it today despite the fact that it makes them look rather foolish.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I knew what Gore had said vs. what the wingnut spin on what he said but, I didn't realize that Gore had played such a significant role in the creation of the internet. Couple this with what will likely be his extremely prescient and persistent alarms about global warming, and he is looking better all the time.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I think what's funny about the AL Gore and internet thing is that nobody really cares. It's used as the puch line for jokes...or to rile up some Democrats....but really...whether he said it, or was misquoted, or taken out of context...or whatever...nobody cares. Nobody took the comment seriously. Although it certainly gets under the skin of some people. Relax....let it go. Bush has certainly had many more misstatements (quite appart from his deliberate stuff).

It didn't lose him the election. It's probably quoted more by Leno, Letterman and OBrien than by the Major Media. It wasn't wingnut spin that attached the comment to him. It was simply a hook. It was funny. And people like funny.

9. StupidMoniker

Embellishing is saying you took the initiative in creating something 10 years after it came into existence. Al Gore did plenty to promote the growth of the Internet, but zero to create it. I think you are the one being intellectually dishonest when you will not just admit that the Internet was around for a long time before Al Gore got involved.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

One would hope so but as the numerous debates on this forum show facts are often spun in various directions. For instance you often hear posters arguing with each other over really what constitutes a fact.

When you look at the situation with the media it gets even more complicated. Reporters don't have a god's eye view of things so they have to make the decisions regarding where and how they collect information. Further since we don't have unlimited times to absorb raw feed the news is edited and as we know depending on how the news is edited that can make a huge difference in what is reported.

I know a lot of people get down on the media when they do things like put on a global warming skeptic with a global warming proponent since overwhelmingly the scientific community believes in global warming. This is where people get upset about being fair and balanced. The problem with this though is that if they didn't the counter charge comes into play that the media is just enforcing an orthodoxy and unwilling to allow counter claims to be heard. It become a no-win situation.

In regard to your specific example its not quite as clear cut as you make it to be. You're upset at the media for not being a fact checker on the President. While that is part of the media's role at the sametime the media is there to report on what the President says. If the President says that US tripled AIDS funding to Africa that is a fact that the President said that. The President may be wrong, may even be lying, but that doesn't change the fact that the President said it. In terms of fact checking that goes beyond reporting the straight story but into investigative journalism. In this case what you are asking for is not a journalism that just reports what they see.

As far as laziness in the media goes I agree that there is a lot of laziness and the media should be held accountable to maintaining a high standard but part of the problem is the nature of today's information society where every blogger is an instant fact checker out to get the major media. While there are several instances of major media getting things wrong or being flat out lazely there are way more times when they have gotten it right and bloggers wrong.

To get to the point what this comes down is to a matter of how much you trust the major media. In spite of Rathergate, Jayson Blair and reporting that Al Gore invented the Internet I will still trust the major media. That doesn't mean I don't maintain a certain amount of skepticism but in the end I will trust the CNN and the NYTimes over opinionjournal.com, dailykos and yes even Jon Stewart.

11. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

You're right that DARPANET existed long before Al Gore but that's not what we would consider the Internet (especially since you couldn't run Clutchfans on it). The Internet as we know it couldn't have existed without the funding to building the infrastructure to run it on so I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that Al Gore played a hand in the creation of the Internet anymore than its too much of a stretch to say that Ronald Reagan brought down the Soviet Union. Neither of them had a direct hand in either of those acheivements but that doesn't mean they don't deserve some of the credit.

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Media Matters essay on the topic was just published. Some snippets below-

"Media Matters"; by Jamison Foser

The defining issue of our time is not the Iraq war. It is not the "global war on terror." It is not our inability (or unwillingness) to ensure that all Americans have access to affordable health care. Nor is it immigration, outsourcing, or growing income inequity. It is not education, it is not global warming, and it is not Social Security.

The defining issue of our time is the media.

Eric Boehlert, author of the excellent new book Lapdogs: How the Press Rolled Over for Bush (Free Press, May 2006), has offered one example of the obsessive coverage the media gave Whitewater:

In the 24 months between Jan. 1994 and Jan. 1996, long before Monica Lewinsky entered the picture and back when Whitewater was about an alleged crooked land deal, Nightline devoted 19 programs to the then-unfolding scandal and investigation, for which no Clinton White House official was ever indicted.

And that's how it was for eight years: obsessive media coverage and hype of made-up Clinton "scandals" that never went anywhere because they never existed anywhere other than the fevered imaginations of a few far-right Clinton-haters and the credulous news media that took them seriously.

How bad did it get? As we're fond of pointing out, the Washington Post editorial board called for the appointment of an independent counsel to investigate Whitewater "even though -- and this should be stressed -- there has been no credible charge in this case that either the president or Mrs. Clinton did anything wrong." That's right: The Post called for an independent counsel to investigate "no credible charge."

Boehlert offered a comparison to the Bush era:

But during the 24 months between Sept. 2003 and Sept. 2005, Nightline set aside just three programs to the unfolding CIA leak investigation, for which Libby, an assistant to the president, was indicted. On the night of the Libby indictments, Nightline devoted just five percent of its program to that topic.

Exactly one year ago, we referred to "the most obvious example" of this:

The same news organizations that pursued the Whitewater "scandal" as though it were Watergate, Teapot Dome, and the Lindbergh Baby all wrapped into one virtually ignored Bush's controversial sale of Harken Energy stock. The basic information about that sale -- that Bush, while serving as a Harken director and member of the company's audit committee, dumped more than 200,000 shares of the company's stock shortly before Harken publicly announced massive losses -- was publicly available long before Bush ran for president. Yet The Washington Post, to name one news outlet, gave the matter a total of 26 words of attention during the 2000 presidential campaign. The July 30, 1999, edition of the Post reported:

Even now, questions linger about a 1990 sale of Harken stock by Bush that was the subject of a probe by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

That's it. Twenty-six words.

Two major news organizations, the Associated Press and Bloomberg news, ran substantive articles about Bush's stock sale, based on documents that were released by the Securities and Exchange Commission during the 2000 campaign. The AP reported in September 2000:

George W. Bush, before he sold his stock in a Texas oil company, was fully aware that the firm was suffering from a severe cash crisis and was poised to lose millions, according to newly released records of a closed insider trading investigation of the sale.

"The full capacity of the company is dedicated toward resolving this liquidity crisis," Harken Energy Corp. President Mikel Faulkner told Bush and the other members of the board of directors two months before the $850,000 stock sale in June 1990.

[...]

The Harken documents released under FOIA detail Bush's knowledge of the company's problems.

As a Harken director, he received memos in spring 1990 that referred in stark terms to the company's cash-strapped condition as banks demanded it pay down its debts. One document said the company was in the midst of a "liquidity crisis" and another told Bush the company was "in a state of noncompliance" with its lenders.

Bush also was informed that a company plan to make a public stock offering to generate cash was being abandoned because one of its lenders objected.

"On the eve of filing this offering, the Bank of Boston refused to grant waivers and consents necessary to allow the offering to proceed," Harken said in a letter to the SEC in 1991. "Bank of Boston refused to alter its position and instead made demands that it be removed from the company's credit." The company solved the crisis when two of its biggest stockholders loaned it the $43 million it needed.

[...]

The SEC investigators never interviewed Bush about what else he might have known about the company's financial situation before selling the stock.

To sum up: In the months before the 2000 election, newly disclosed documents revealed that shortly before he dumped his Harken stock, George W. Bush had been told that the company faced a "liquidity crisis" and was "in a state of noncompliance" with lenders and that its plan to raise money was being abandoned. The documents revealed that the SEC -- which, at the time, was run by a close ally of Bush's father, then-President George H. W. Bush -- never bothered to interview Bush about his stock sale during its investigation of the matter.

And The New York Times completely ignored it. Completely. The Washington Post completely ignored it. USA Today completely ignored it. ABC, CBS and NBC? Ignored, ignored, ignored. CNN? CNN is an all-news channel; it has a whole day to fill with news every single day. Surely CNN managed to squeeze in a mention or two of new evidence that a major-party presidential candidate may have made a fortune in an insider-trading scheme that was covered up by cronies of his father the president? No, CNN didn't even mention it. Not a word.

Again: Nobody should make the mistake of thinking this foolishness only applies to the Clintons and to Bush. By spectacular coincidence, Al Gore is also dishonest, according to journalists -- and everything is evidence of that premise, too. Even if it means making up quotes he never said, journalists will find a way to demonstrate his dishonesty. The classics -- the Internet, Love Canal, Love Story, et al -- should be well-known by now, so we won't repeat them. Instead, here's Los Angeles Times columnist Jonah Goldberg, offering a new riff on an old favorite:

In a recent write-up of Gore's visit to the Cannes Film Festival to promote his new film on global warming, which premiered Wednesday in Los Angeles, [Arianna] Huffington hailed the "new Gore" as the "hottest star in town," beating out Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks. Gore told Huffington that this was his second trip to Cannes. "The first was when I was 15 years old and came here for the summer to study the existentialists -- Sartre, Camus.... We were not allowed to speak anything but French!" This, gushed Huffington, "may explain his pitch-perfect French accent." Perhaps. Though according to David Maraniss' biography of Gore, the former vice president's 15th summer was spent working on the family farm. Remember those stories about how Al Sr. said, "A boy could never be president if he couldn't plow with that damned hillside plow"? That was the same summer.

How dumb does Goldberg think we are?

First, Al Gore's "15th summer" occurred when he was 14 (work through it, Jonah, you'll figure it out). Maraniss's actual wording is "the summer of his fifteenth year," which also suggests that Gore was 14 at the time (ok, Jonah, we'll help: Your first year ends when you turn one year old. Therefore, your 15th year ends when you turn 15. Therefore, during your "fifteenth year," you're 14.) So, taking Gore's memory and Maraniss's writing as truth, the two statements aren't in any way contradictory, despite Goldberg's attempt to convince you that they are.

More significantly, as The American Prospect's Ezra Klein has explained: "As for which summer Gore spent in France, think about Goldberg's critique here: He's not arguing that Gore didn't take that trip, but that he's misremembering the year. This is the strike against Al Gore; that a trip he took almost 45 years ago might have happened at 14, or 16, rather than 15. Given our mind's learned tendency to drift towards multiples of five, this is pretty weak sauce. Goldberg, a bright guy, isn't actually making this critique -- it's more of a meta-critique, trying to dredge up old doubts about Gore and his tendency to embellish."

Even more significantly: Who cares? Seriously, who cares? Is Goldberg suggesting Gore didn't really work on the farm? No, he can't be -- not honestly, anyway: he has previously acknowledged that Gore did. Is he seriously suggesting that Gore didn't really travel to France as a teen? No, he isn't doing that, either. So what is he suggesting? He's trying to demonstrate that Al Gore is a liar because maybe he really went to France when he was 16, not 15.

That's how weak the evidence is that Al Gore is a liar. And yet, his purported dishonesty and tendency to exaggerate is the underlying premise of so much media coverage of him.

At least Goldberg invented his own absurd anti-Gore story. The New York Times and countless other media elites -- David Broder, Tim Russert, and Chris Matthews among them -- chose instead to take the lead from the Globe supermarket tabloid.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200605260016

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am in agreement that there is often legitimate differences about what is and isn't a fact.
    I also like it when stories present differing sides of the same issue. I think the better informed we are from all perspectives the better it is. I think NPR on the whole does the best job of news media I have seen presenting different sides to the stories. But it is better to have multiple news sources and see the different ways the same story can be presented.

There are times such as with certain mathematical facts that there is only one side. Either the numbers are correct or they aren't.
    I understand and agree the media should report what the president said. They should report it even if he is wrong, or maybe especially if he is wrong.

What I object to is that after it comes out that he is wrong, they continue to just keep repeating the figure. The mythical numbers should have been dispelled and never again presented as if there is a chance they were correct. I am not upset at all the media reported Bush's initial claim. I am upset that they continued to keep parroting that information as if it were fact, and as if it were correct. Then once other people were getting the true facts and accurate information out there, the media presented it as a he said/she said argument, where it was just a matter of picking which one to believe in. That is shameful. The truth was known, but nobody in the major media presented it as the truth.

It also should not be seen as a sign of bias towards one side or the other to report accurate numbers, and disspell inaccurate ones.
    I still watch the main stream media, and read some blogs. I don't take either as 100% accurate, and I do look to see what sources are used in either case. I just feel that the media can and should do better. I think they have a duty to inform the public, and keep them informed. When they fail, or inform them incorrectly then the nation can suffer. Votes and opinions are changed. The course our nation takes is changed. It does have an effect.

14. SamFisher

No, I'm being perfectly honest: If you really read/hear that quote and think that he's implying that he invented the internet in a laboratory, you're an idiot with deficient comprehension skills or being a sackless partisan b**** to the point of caricature. Not sure which one you are, perhaps a poll is in order.

15. StupidMoniker

I read the quote and think he is implying that he called for something to be created that did not exist. When Kennedy said we were going to send a man to the moon, it wasn't after we had already sent a man to orbit the moon and landed some lunar rovers. There had not even been manned spaceflight when Kennedy called for sending a man to the moon. Therefore, I would have no problem with Kennedy saying he took the initiative in creating the Apollo program, even though he didn't invent the spacecraft in a laboratory. I would have a big problem with someone claiming that took the initiative in putting a man on the moon if they started working for NASA in 1968.

When Al Gore became a congressman, the Internet was up and running. He helped to expand it and make it what it is today, but he had no part in it's creation. He didn't come up with the idea, he didn't call for funding a new networking project, he just helped that already existing Internet to grow and expand. I have no problem with crediting Al Gore with helping to bring the Internet to the people, but he certainly did not create it, no matter how much name calling you want to do.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't the internet at that time. It was in an early incarnation and would eventually become the internet. It wasn't the internet as the internet is defined today, that is for sure.

Vincent Cerf and Newt even agree that Gore was integral in making the internet what it is today. Read the whole context. Gore wasn't trying to claim that he invented something new. He was saying that he took the initiative in creating what we now use as the internet. Others back up his claim. The fact that it was used among govt. agencies back then means it was a networking system, but not really what is known as the internet today. Gore didn't claim that he created it out of nothing. He didn't deny that there was something there before he worked on making it what it is today.

He wasn't embellishing, and he certainly wasn't claiming to have invented the internet as some people still claim today.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yet the public won't even believe that....

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The "Liberal" bias in major media is a myth. Look no further than the vastly different ways two First Couples' marriage problems were treated in several supposedly "liberal-leaning" news media:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200605260003

Coming soon to The New York Times? Globe reports Bush marriage breakup

Summary: In Patrick Healy's recent front-page New York Times article on the state of the Clintons' marriage, Healy noted that a "tabloid photograph" of former President Bill Clinton "was enough to fuel coverage in the gossip pages." Media Matters does not endorse the decision by elite media figures to take their cues from tabloids, but if they do so, we expect them to be consistent. As it happens, the cover of the May 29 edition of the Globe magazine contains a headline about another high-profile political couple: "BUSH MARRIAGE BREAKUP! EXCLUSIVE! SEPARATE LIVES IN THE WHITE HOUSE."

In his May 23 front-page article in The New York Times, staff writer Patrick Healy asserted that "[w]hen the subject of Bill and Hillary Clinton comes up for many prominent Democrats these days, Topic A is the state of their marriage" and how it "might affect Mrs. Clinton's possible bid for the presidency in 2008." Healy offered no specific reasons for this purported interest among "prominent Democrats" aside from the amount of time the Clintons spent apart, a mention of a decade-old affair, and a reference to year-old "concern[]" over a "tabloid photograph showing Mr. Clinton leaving B.L.T. Steak in Midtown Manhattan late one night after dining with a group that included Belinda Stronach, a Canadian politician." Healy continued: "The two were among roughly a dozen people at a dinner, but it still was enough to fuel coverage in the gossip pages."

It was also enough to fuel a front-page New York Times article, and the rapt attention of the Washington press corps, as Media Matters has documented.

Healy did not identify the "tabloid" in question, but he seems to be referring to the Globe magazine, which in the spring of 2005 ran a headline about Clinton and Stronach that read "Bill caught with blonde AGAIN! New divorce battle with Hillary."

Media Matters does not endorse the decision by The New York Times, NBC's Tim Russert, MSNBC's Chris Matthews, The Washington Post's David Broder, and countless other elite media figures to take their cues from tabloids like the Globe, or to pry into the personal lives of political figures. But if they are going to do so, we expect them to be consistent. [emphasis mine]

As it happens, the cover of the May 29 edition of the Globe contains another sensational headline about another high-profile political couple:

BUSH MARRIAGE BREAKUP!

EXCLUSIVE!

SEPARATE LIVES IN THE WHITE HOUSE

* Nasty fights
    * Booze problems
    * Laura urges counseling

On Pages 20 and 21, the Globe announces "Bush and Laura's 29-year marriage FALLS APART," adding: "They barely talk to each other," "[t]hey argue when they do speak," and "he's afraid he'll hit the bottle." Quotes in the article attributed to "a longtime friend" include the assertion that "[w]hen the cameras aren't on, they have nothing to do with one another," and that "[f]or all practical purposes, they've broken up." The "family friend" continues: "After their last fight over booze, they just stopped talking -- period." The Globe's report that Laura Bush is concerned that President Bush may "hit the bottle" is reminiscent of a September 21, 2005, National Enquirer article about "Bush's booze crisis," which reported: "Faced with the biggest crisis of his political life, President Bush has hit the bottle again."

Media Matters wonders when we can expect The New York Times to assign a reporter to tally the number of nights the Bushes spend together and to conduct 50 interviews with Republicans to assess their interest in the state of the Bush marriage, or in President Bush's reported relapse -- and when it will run a 2,000-word front-page article on the topic. If it does so, we wonder if Broder will refer to the article as "anything but unsympathetic" to the Bushes.

----------------------------

Globe's front cover:

[​IMG]

#58 wnes, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

SM, I saw JFK give his speech at Rice University (a fine institution, even if they let texxx in), having been lucky enough to have liberal parents that thought it worthwhile to take me out of school to attend. You might say that it was one of those defining moments in my life, the ones that stick with you, and that you look back upon like they happened yesterday, despite the intervening years. It was September 12, 1962. We had had our first manned spaceflight on May 5, 1961, when Alan Shepard became the first American in space during a fifteen-minute suborbital flight, and John Glenn made the first orbital flight nine months later. http://www.answers.com/topic/human-spaceflight

In other words, we had already orbited the Earth, although we were continuing to play catch-up to the Russians. Kennedy made the political decision to commit us to going to the Moon, when it truly seemed like something out of science fiction. Scientists didn't doubt that it was possible, someday, to make the journey, but most believed that it would take decades, not less than a decade. Through the force of his charismatic personality and popularity with the public, he put us on course to walking on the Moon... something only dreamt of for thousands of years.

Sorry to pull a Hayes on you, but you gotta get your facts straight. ;)

A video clip of the speech:

http://webcast.rice.edu/speeches/19620912kennedy.html

One should view it remembering that it was a political visit to Texas, as well has the chosen place for his announcement. Thus a few references that may seem a bit obscure to some today.

#59 Deckard, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  20. StupidMoniker

Kennedy called for sending a man to the moon in front of congress on May 25, 1961. So, he either decided to push for that plan before Shepard's flight or slightly after. I happen to think it takes more than 3 weeks to go from contemplating an idea to presenting it to congress, but that is just me. While it is nice that your parents took you to see him at Rice, that is not the only occasion upon which JFK spoke of going to the moon.

Here is a link to an article commemorating the event in case you think my facts are not straight. :p :D