1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think the Lottery Drawing is rigged? Why?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rocketsfan34, May 18, 2000.

Tags:
  1. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The NBA does its drawing behind closed doors, and hires a legit company to do it. However, it is known for a fact that what the NBA wants, its going to get. So, the question is, "Is the lotto rigged?"

------------------
    Check out the new and improved
    Draftsource.net

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hope it is. Way I see it, we have something like a 1.5-2% chance of getting the top 3 picks and if you ask me the NBA might actually be rooting for the new young and gun Stevie Franchise led Rockets, with at least that percentage, so who knows, maybe theyll rig it in our favor.

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But, keep in mind this fact: Contrary to popular belief, it isn't exactly 1,000s of ping pong balls. I think it's something like 13 balls and ALL are drawn up into combinations of all possilities (there are 1,001....1 combination isn't assigned, and if by chance that one is picked, they do it over.) Wouldn't it be easy to say "well, this combination has Chicago first, Clippers 2nd, and the the Rockets 3rd?"

Now, a little thing I just thought of: How often has a team with a rookie of the year gotten the #1 pick the next year? I can think of twice (Sampson's Rockets, got Hakeem, and Shaq's Magic, traded the #1 pick (Webber) and got Hardaway)

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This may be fantasy, but I'd like to think they gave each team a list of their numbers before they did the drawing. If they do, then it isn't fixed. If it is fixed, they don't do that.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV-sure they do.....but I think the NBA can call in a favor [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Looking at this: http://www.nba.com/news/lottery00_overview.html

Ernst & Young supervises the Lottery. I'd like to think they wouldn't be party to a corrupt drawing. Also, a representative from each team is present to watch the drawing. Obviously, no team or owner wants to get screwed in the lottery, so I'd think they'd say something if something was amiss. I don't think it's rigged.
    ------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

[This message has been edited by JuanValdez (edited May 19, 2000).]