1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think NBA has become too high-scoring and perimeter-oriented? If so, how would you fix it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OremLK, Dec 1, 2023.

?

Have offenses in NBA become too good, and should the league do something about it?

1. Yes, the rules should be changed to lower scoring.

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. No, the NBA is fine the way it is and should leave the scoring environment alone.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. The NBA is not okay, but the rules are not the problem.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just something I've been thinking about in light of some recent facts.

A week ago, the Pacers and Hawks combined for 309 points, marking the seventh-most in regulation in league history.

The number of three pointers made per game increased from about 5 in the year 2000 to 13 today. Almost three times as many.

Points per game are the highest they have been since the 70s. Last season 114, this season again on pace for 114. In 2000 that number was 97.

Six players scored over 30 points per game last season. This is so far outside the norm it's ridiculous. Most years it's 0-2 players. Occasionally you'll get three. But six?! That's just insane. We are currently on pace to have four this year, with Giannis and Curry also right on the edge to potentially again make it six.

Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder, but I have heard a number of people--including, anecdotally, my dad who used to be a big Rockets fan--complain that the NBA is boring now because "nobody plays any defense and there's not enough ball movement anymore".

---

If you agree that all of this is a problem, and you certainly don't have to agree with that--how would you go about fixing it?

My view is that the league could simply move the game more toward FIBA/college rules, and also call fewer ticky-tack fouls. The core reason for all of this is, of course, the pace-and-space revolution. There's too much space to cover to give a good contest to jump shots, and it's too hard to guard guys with a head of steam and a driving lane, especially when the refs call so many small fouls. Big men are really held back from challenging shots as much as they used to as well due to the 3-second-rule.

---

Here would be my suggestions:
    • Shrink the dimensions of the court a little bit. FIBA courts are slightly smaller overall. Of course this would also move the corner three point line in a bit, so percentages might actually go up--but then again, moving players at the perimeter closer together would also make them easier to cover, so I'm not convinced this would be the case.
    • Change the three-second rule to four or five seconds instead. Or just get rid of it. Let big men back in the paint more often.
    • Drastically change the way the game is called. Allow more of certain kinds of physicality. The current rules have not decreased injuries--if anything, injuries are way up, hence all the load management. I think this is because players have too much space to drive and serious injuries usually happen when guys have a head full of steam and jump into a crowd. They'd probably get more bumps and bruises and fewer season/career-ending injuries if we called the game more like it was called in the 90s, allowing more hand-checking and such.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If I cosign, it might show my age and "get off my lawn" mentality.. So I'll just say the scores are interesting.. NBA has become entertainment instead competition and pride..

Jontro and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just watch some old games and then realize nothing was as good as you remember it.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

When most people look back at the "good ole days" they usually remember the ending moments of playoff games where the intensity is high. Go back and watch a regular season game between mid level teams in the late 80s or 90s. It's almost unwatchable. Just dudes hitting each other and throwing bricks.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

College rules would make the NBA more watchable for me. I don’t think that the scores would change that much.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And today players have a tough time getting on the floor if they can’t shoot a three. I think this makes the NBA more skills based than yesteryear and more watchable.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I rewatched some of the 2005 Spurs-Pistons Finals recently. Brutal.

plutoblue11 and SamFisher like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They should not allow 3pt baskets for players shorter than 7'. That would make the game interesting.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good for Senjoon, as he can shift back to being 6'9.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not do a radical change, sometimes minor modifications can do the trick.

Fouling 3 point shooters should not be punished egregiously.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

My issue is more with when guys drives to the basket, very little bump contact is allowed. Big men is only allowed to jump straight up. Lot of times when the defender gets a good block, the penetrator trips or loses his dribble, the offensive tends to get the benefit of the call.

If they were to look at the rules that's what I'd look at.

Entertainment value wise, good defense can be entertaining. NBA rules shouldn't compensate for bad offensive plays.

----
    On the higher scoring trend, if players become more skilled or teams opt for more threes which in high variance games where a non OT game ends in 130 points or higher, I'm ok with it. If a Pacers team is going for 7sec or less, that's part of the strategy.

The in season cup also doesn't help, as some games winners is known, but they run up the score for pt differential.

All that said, it should be due to players being more skilled, or team strategy opting for more OFF, rather the rules making it happen, where tick tack fouls are called.

It's like standardized math tests. If the new generation score better, on surface it is a good thing. But you rather the students score better because they were more prepared, not because the questions were made easier.

#11 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    kubli9, Jontro and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Every era's games are hard to rewatch. USC vs Texas was the best game i ever watched. It's boring now. Only the highlights remain fun to watch. The big moments. That T-Mac comeback game was one of the most boring games i ever watched until it had one of the greatest endings i ever watched. But, even highlights lose the gravity of the moment for kids who have no investment or knowledge of the moments leading up to it. JVG games and 2k games in general were brutal to watch, but so many intense memories where every basket counted.

I could never rewatch NFL, NCAA, MLB, World cup games from any era. Only the NBA has games i can rewatch. Most are about the highest highs and lowest lows and the emotions they created for us at the time. Reliving that is lost on a kid who doesn't understand those emotions watching it for the first time in a highlight or full grainy game on youtube. The intensity of the moment is lost. Todays games will be uber boring to kids in 20 years too. The difference is fans and those who claim this as the greatest era are completely dismissing a massive part of the population that thinks this product stinks today. Why is it mostly NBA fans and NFL fans for the most part watch it religiously still as they did back then despite the NFL also trending toward high octane offense and limiting defenders? We're not just old heads. The intensity is gone in a race to a comically high score. No one is trashing the talent and skills out there. Some of the greatest ever. So why make it easier for them? Why change the game so much that it cant be cross compared to the era that the majority of the world misses and longs for and the viewership of the league was at its highest?

BamBam and Jontro like this.
  13. conquistador#11

1.)Truly apply the "verticality" rule for defender and not just when it's a mid player driving to the hoop.

2.) Allow more contact navigating through screens for the defender.

You can still keep you 1,000,000 points pace for the offense but you at least give the defense a chance.

It doesn't have to go back to the 90s. Middle ground or 1/4 ground.

OremLK likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I want things to change, but I dont want the changes to be entirely in the hands of officials.

15. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Figure out a way to make players shoot less threes. I like the three but modern NBA plays the way all the kids in the late 90s and 2000s played NBA live and then 2k. Just shoot 10 million threes and dunk when possible lol

16. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

It's all about the ratings...higher scoring games are more entertaining for the casual fan watching the game. Personally, I wished they would stop calling fouls when players flop and bring back handchecking. I miss the physicality element in the NBA. Handchecking would stop all of the ball chucking 3s and actually run more offensive sets to get defenders off players.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the drive to be the most efficient team has to be weakened....

Shoot more middies

Efficiency and 3 point shooting is good and all but after all the game becomes boring for the viewer.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I’m sort of in the minority here, but some of you guys are talking crazy.

The game is efficient, because efficiency is the key to winning in almost every single sport and game. It’s sort something you need if you want to win the game, much less keep your job.

I feel like it’s always popular to complain about the NBA. At one point, during the 90s and 2000s, the common complaint was about the game being too physical; not enough jump-shooting; players coming out of high school; and the average fan not being able to connect with the players. Fans wanted teams, like the Kings, Mavs, or the Suns with Nash. So, the league basically took out hand-checking again in 04-05, like they did 94-95. Even then, league scoring did not dramatically increase and stayed roughly the same for several years. I cannot say what hand checking would do exactly to stop 3 point shooting, beyond the chucking which players still did in those days. In reality, if you have 4-5 players on the court who can shoot lights out. That’s always been tough to defend, especially against well-coached and great passing teams. I really don’t even think the 90s is a great example of defense against 3 point shooting, because it wasn’t defended in the same way and most teams dared most players to take the shot. Now, that’s suicide defensively.

The flopping was becoming a problem in the 90s and from players that fans beloved or give them good credit for, yet it’s a bad thing now. I hate flopping, but it’s pretty naive to think the league hasn’t cracked down on it. Especially at a time, when FT attempts have gone down league wide…BECAUSE it stops the flow of the game. It’s been very intentional because of what the fans asked for.

A lot of people complained about high-scoring in the NFL over the last decade, but look how much scoring has come back down to reality. The league just needed time to adjust and find different ways to offset. You could shorten the court and bring back hand checking, but what’s next if it doesn’t decrease scoring or efficiency too much.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

All I want is for defenders to be allowed a little bit more physicality, tired of ticky tack fouls.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The casual fan wants games to look like highlight reels.

As for flopping, I wish the consequences were even worse than they are.
    I would almost go so far as to say they should count like technicals in the sense that once you get a certain amount of them, you get suspended games.

shakes05 likes this.