1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

McGrady torpedoed his trade value as a player when he announced that he was opting for season ending surgery. All that remained was his trade value as a huge expiring contract. And to take advantage of that, you have to trade the player in the final year of the contract...which Morey did.

And where this salary going to come from?

Inconsequential.

Seriously? Those are 2nd round draft picks and a lottery pick that has bounced around several teams. If those kinds of gambles pan out, great. If not, no big deal.

What would've been the point of resigning Artest if Yao wasn't there?

If these are all the complaints you can muster up, I hope DM stays with the Rockets a long time.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

IMO, McHale has done an adequate job as coach, but he's not working with a particularly talented team. Beginning of the season, I expected we'd win roughly half our games, maybe a shade less. If Adelman was coach, I would have expected the team to be maybe 4 or 5 games over .500. Here we are, likely finish at around .500 -- maybe a few games over. Expectations more or less met.

Responsibility for this season's results needs to be distributed between front office (who puts the talent on the floor), coach (who needs to teach and get his team to play at the best of their abilities), and the players (who need to listen to what their coach is telling him, buy in, and work hard to improve). Putting it all on McHale is unfair to him, and overly generous to the rest of the people involved.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You've got to win playoff series to be a contender, we have one in 15 years.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Im not really concerned with the overall record Mchale led this team to. I don't think that's that relevant in a competitive conference. We knew they'd have a good shot to make the playoffs.

What does concern me is losing 5 games in a row, at the end of the season, when we had a spot to lose, and to 4 of 5 teams that are at our level. That has to fall on the coach. This team isn't bad enough to go through that. That comes down to in game decisions and practice.

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Morey has done a pretty good job, but I think everybody realizes the goal is to win big, and you need a star for that. Unfortunately, it looks like the price of stars has gone up in the last couple of years.

In retrospect, if throwing in PatPat to the Gasol/Nene deal would have sealed it, we certainly should have done that. My guess is that if Morey does end up trading for a star, he is going to have to make some very painful moves, like trading away Lowry + picks, in addition to Scola/Martin.

Given the nature of the NBA, it may be better to take the NYK approach, and gamble on a Melo-type player. This has clear downsides, but we are in no-man's land.

Our most reasonable hope IMO is that Sac's financial probs lead them to trade Cousins in a year. We may have to give them our 2-3 best players to get him, but perhaps it will be the right move anyway.

6. albuster

albuster Member

Jim Stack of the Bulls dynasty. He was the real "genius" behind GM Krause. Besides, it is not my job to find the best GM available. The point is this current GM is way over rated and the incontrovertible record states that he failed and must go.

7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Sure why not? Then we can replace him with Mchale and get a real coach........

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, he is a good gm. He just isn't being allowed to let us rebuild through the draft because of les. Almost every team right after loosing they're stars or dropping off big, get a top pick with in the next 2 years. We can't do this because les fears tickets sales will plummet while we're out of the playoff race.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm glad the "fire Morey" crowd is losing the poll. I'm not saying i'm not frustrated with Morey, but I would like to see what he could do without Les putting onerous restrictions on his ability to build a contender.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

U missed it I see. To be clear, and I said this, they should've just let tracy and yao expire if you don't get a upgrade in talent. The point I'm really making is 2 teams have traded 2 players who were better than yao and tracy and have recycled and both are ahead of the rockets. Not only that, their young players and not so young players are better than the rockets. Who has the upside of mcghee,faried,favors,or kanter on the rockets? Who can get more via trade on the rockets than milsap or jefferson

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Your point doesnt really make sense though.

Utah and Denver didn't trade those guys because of some unique vision or insight they had. They did it because they had to. They didn't want to do it. Neither Yaor or Tmac forced a trade in their prime, so why trade them?

As for the talent they managed to get out of them, the bolded part explains it. The players were better, so of course they would get more. Give us Deron or Melo and we can get a lot for them also.

You're basically coming down on someone for getting less for a 2009 auto, than someone else got for a 2012. Doesn't make sense, of course they should, and would , get less.

12. leebigez

They didn't have to trade those guys 1st and foremost. They did so to get rid of the distraction. Either way, they traded a superstar in his prime and 2 other good players for young upside and and cap flexibility. If you just analyze utah in general, there isn't a starter from the conf finalist team of 06. Boozer,ak,okur,williams,and fisher are all gone and have been replaced by jefferson,milsap,haywod,favors,kanter and such. So since the stockton-malone era, they rebuilt 2 times already and are still ahead of the rockets in terms of talent.

Let's go look at denver. Rocket fans clamored for nene and they traded him for the clutchfans dummy mcgee. In part of the melo deal in which they traded billups,they got back felton who was playing well,but flipped him for miller. So now they have cap room,gallinari,lawson,faried,mcgee,and affalo and they're making the playoffs. Flexibility,young upside,compete for make the playoffs. Before any uses injuries as an excuse, denver has lost a lot of games to injury. This cycle is here and will be here until morey decides to get high upside guys and make a commitment to play those guys. Again, denver could've stayed pat with nene and some of the other guys. Anyone who watches know they weren't going anywhere with nene anyway. This safe thinking by morey just leads into what we see. Patterson,parsons,morris won't be bust,but they won't be anything special either. The best hope the rockets have is d-nuts,but if scola,patterson,and morris are in front of him,he's not going to play anyway.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Literally none of that has anything to do with the job that Daryl Morey has done.

Safe thinking? Morey has been trying to hit a homerun on a deal for 2 years now. Whether that homerun has been trading up for a high draft pick, or trading for a superstar, he's been trying to do both.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If I were inclined to vote...It would be a "yes".

But my hopes are that he sticks around long enough to clearly prove that he's only good at two things.

Finding 2nd rounders who can get minutes on a borderline playoff team.

And rearranging the deck chairs well enough to keep his personal fans interested. The ones that keep telling us he's not responsible for anything...

Teflon Daryl....

15. leebigez

So how come the bum known as carroll dawson can turn 3 avg players to the #2 pick in the draft? What about the 3 mid rd picks into the #7? What about franchise,mobley,and cato into mcgrady in his prime? Some guys can do and some can't. For all his supposed greatness,what's the biggest,best deal morey has got? Martin,scola,lowry,dragic,lee? What? I'll tell you what it was, the #8 pick for a role player. Oh,I guess he tried to get roy but the blazers beat him to it. There is always an excuse for why morey doesn't get a deal. Its like this sympathy card of a built in excuse. I don't care,but you are judged by your roster and its shortcomings. Remember when the spurs were done? Yep,they're the #2 seed without a superstar. Portland has mailed it in for this season,but you who would you rather have more on this roster than aldridge or even batum? Guess what? They have cap room next yr because they were going nowhere with gerald wallace and camby. Did I forget to mention they got the nets 1st rd pick? Give me a freaking break! If the job is too much and a failed trade set ur plans back 3 yrs, quit.

16. leebigez

Pretty much. No one wants to deal with the wizard because he's raped so many gms,right? All the while gms accross the league are making power moves,but its les fault.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Where is this proof that Les is holding Morey back coming from?

18. leebigez

The excuse makers of course.

19. Hball

Hball Member

I think Morey does need to be fired, it doesn't take a genius to realize our best chance to net a star is to be in the lottery, we have no true shot a title anyway without one.

Yet he continues to try and trade for one and but no star wants to come here without one in tact, tries to trade up in the draft but no team is going to give away the lottery pick without a star coming back.

It's a lose lose situation, we need to tank to TANK!!!!! face it that's how we netted franchise players in hakeem and yao

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You realize that Les is Morey's boss, right?

If Les wanted us to tank, we would be.

Everything we've seen from Les regarding the tank vs. build debate has seen Les thinking we can build a contender without going in the tank.

#160 DonnyMost, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012