1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really think Fertitta is going to pay the luxury tax the next four seasons in a row?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 24, 2018.

?

Do you think Fertita is willing to pay the repeater luxury tax?

1. Yes

50.4%
  2. No

30.6%
  3. Only if we're barely in the luxury tax

19.0%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True, I suppose the mindset changes a bit once you've already won your championships and the expenses are occurring after the fact.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

This is an important point...
    Spotrac has
    2019 - 2020: $108M
    2020 - 2021: $120M
    2021 - 2022: ???

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I have no idea what this means but here...

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Sounds like owners can facilitate that luxury tax debt.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

AKA we are helping the super teams and others who want to challenge the Warriors have their hand at it (BUT it's up to you if you want that).

Bobsputin likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree - to an extent... If Tilman bought the franchise for 2B and he spends an extra 100M a year for the next 3 years... he needs to increase the value of the team by at least 15% to break even on the additional investment. Championships could certainly apply a bump to value - I would think more on a short term turn rather than a longterm value... I mean we won championships 20+ years ago - does that provide our franchise a bump in value other those that haven't? And of course, championships would provide for a short term merchandising spike... With shared revenue vs overseas markets (which Les has cultivated) idk how much additional revenue it would provide... maybe enough to offset luxury taxes... but idk...
    And that's all of course presuming that we do actually win a championship... it's not like Houston fans have seen championship caliber teams fall apart through injuries, suspensions, officiating and whatever else... meaning you could spend the cash - and not get that bump... it's a gamble at best... something I'm sure Tilman has a vast amount of knowledge concerning.. ;)
    A random poster posted it on an internet site - it must be true... lol... I actual agree, but when you start getting into dumping in excess of 100M a year - you better have some concrete growth potential.
    God as my witness, I realized I misspelled Tilman after I had posted (I'm sure I misspell Capela all the time too) and was going to edit and figured 'screw it... if somebody wants to call me out like on 'Capella' - let 'em... it aint my fault these guys cant spell their own names correctly! lol :)

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I have to wonder if he'll even pay the lux tax again after this coming season. When he sees for the 2nd year in a row that the league office views his franchise as an unwanted nuissance to their plans, he's going to ask himself WTF he's paying all the extra money for if the whole season's already scripted anyways.

GS, LAL, BOS, and PHI are going to be heavily promoted with HOU as an outlier. LAL will get help forming a contending roster. look for them to get an easy schedule to start the season as well. and RefAid throughout of course. then when the playoffs come, it'll be business as usual for the zebra hitmen.

i really think next offseason is going to be a firesale where morey's instructed to unload salary on liquidation

#68 pippendagimp, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018