1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really think Fertitta is going to pay the luxury tax the next four seasons in a row?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 24, 2018.

?

Do you think Fertita is willing to pay the repeater luxury tax?

1. Yes

50.4%
  2. No

30.6%
  3. Only if we're barely in the luxury tax

19.0%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Paul is going to be cooked for the 2020-21, I say trade him by then.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're still posting without editing the misspelling of Fertitta in your title?

It's easy to fix. In your OP, upper right is "Thread Tools". Click that. Then click "Edit Title"

You can do it. I have faith that you aren't going to intentionally misspell the owner's name, now that you see the mistake and know how to fix it.

Deuce and BigMaloe like this.
  3. basketballholic

Thanks P.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.

Now you are free to vote in the poll.....

Mr. Turbo likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think Fern Tit is willing to go that deep on salary - remember he took out loans to buy the team.

5. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So the bad part is that I was specifically making an effort NOT to misspell his name because I normally put an extra L in his first name and by focusing on that I ended up leaving out a T in his last name SMH.

heypartner likes this.
  7. basketballholic

The fanbase will be callig him #FurTits when they finally figure out he's not going to pay the repeater's luxury tax.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Tough to see any owner wanting pay the repeater tax for a team that isn't the favorite to be champions or defending champions, which by 2021, I doubt the Rockets will be either.

my vote is Tillman Fertita saves his money in his till.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

After watching how rigged the NBA is, why bother spending that much. If Adam Silver wants us to win we will win regardless of the payroll.

Or instead of spending all that I’m sure we could just give Scott Foster a cool million. He seems like the type who would take bribes.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The earliest the Rockets would be paying the repeater tax is 2021-22. It is only assessed on teams who have been taxpayers in at least three of the prior four seasons. The Rockets did not pay luxury tax either this season or last.

Deuce, dlite316, hakeem94 and 8 others like this.
  11. basketballholic

Sorry. Keep forgetting it's 4 out of 5. 21-22.

Will he pay the repeater tax @BimaThug ?

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While an opinion poll is nice, there is only one opinion that matters *shrug*

And tbh, this team as is, is done by 21-22.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

We will likely sign ariza, Luc, FAs etc.. to 3yr deals and reassess at that juncture.

By then they will all be older and needing replaced. Capela will be coming to the end of his contract likely with trade value. Cp3 will heb on the downside. Harden will be towards the end of his prime.

We could treat these 3 years as an all in effort. And then ditch after 3 years and avoid the luxury repeater tax.

But then again who knows what happens by then?

Corrosion likes this.
  14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not sure. That would be painful. It’s possible Mickey Arison would’ve paid it for the Heat had LeBron not gone back to Cleveland, so maybe Tillman does it for an extended title contending run. But yeah, that’d be painful.

15. heypartner

Oh, noes!! We're becoming the reditt.

...so, sad...

I'm literally crying about these misspellings. I have tears rolling down my cheeks. Bima??? Who's next, @Will and @Clutch?

BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Seriously in the 2021-22 season, Paul will be turning 37, either we will have won a championship by then or not. At 37 Paul will likely be a role player/backup level player. If he's healthy enough to play at all that is.

- If we have won a championship by 2021, then it should be fine to pay a 1-year repeater tax before Paul expires in 2022.

- If we haven't won a championship by 2021 then we should trade Paul that offseason. For the 2022 season, Harden will be 32, dealing Paul in the 2021 offseason (if we haven't done it before then) would be essential to open the space needed to trade for / sign new stars that actually can help Harden pursue a championship in 2022, or else Harden would probably leave or force his way out (unless he's fine with staying in Houston and never winning a ring). It's either repeater tax in pursuit of a championship, or rebuild the team getting out of the repeater tax with or without Harden.

Either way, it's essential Paul only gets a 4-year deal this offseason, because a 5-year deal would cripple the future of the franchise. There's no way his 35-40+ contract will be moveable unless it's expiring, and even if we win a ring with him, 2 seasons of repeater tax with him making 40+ mill when he's a role player/ backup is unacceptable as well.

I honestly feel like a 4 year, decreasing max should be the goal for re-signing Paul, or at most a flat max. The man is 33 with injury problems. Deals with him making 40+ million at 36, 37 & 38 years old sounds like hell.

#36 ThatBoyNick, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Corrosion likes this.
  17. heypartner

In all fairness, Bima showed no prejudice and misspelled the Miami owner's name, too. It's spelled Micky.

phew...now that's a tough one. Who doesn't spell Micky like Mickey Mouse or Mickey Mantle. Can you imagine, if he was our owner?

Willing to bet not one poster at reddick has spelled Micky Arison correctly, yet

BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We should all do our part and eat at Landry's

19. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

For being such an ******* about spelling Tilman Fertitta's name you cant even spell or type "Reddit". No one gives a **** man. We are on a forum that calls our GM Morley and Murray.

Your constant spell nazi **** is going to catch up to you pretty hard. Do we need to comb through your post history?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm still of the belief that mr. phurteeter will have to sell the franchise in the next few years anyways, in order to cover losses in his core business

hakeem94 and ROXonROXonROX like this.