1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really believe Kenneth Faried will make a difference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock Harden, Jan 21, 2019.

?

Will he have a positive impact on this team?

1. Yes-He's been in a bad situation for quite sometime

2. No-He's washed up like Melo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are we just gonna ignore that Faried has the highest 3p% on the team at .500? :D

hakeem94, BasketMAD, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dang, that is dissappointing.

DD

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He
    Hartenstein has the length but lacks the mobility capela has to guard outside of the paint in switches. His defensive positioning for a big man sucks. He’s gotta force them to shoot over him by having a good back pivot foot set to anticipate the drive. Low and wide. He needs to play some soccer basically.

DaDakota, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  4. alethios

alethios Member

Sounds a lot like Marquese Chriss - maybe we should get him....oh wait.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought Faried looked pretty good last night for the Rockets, considering he hasn't practiced with the team and doesn't have that chemistry down with Harden yet. They will get there. But having a *vertical threat* will be really helpful for the offense. Not to mention Faried's rebounding.

Faried on the floor means no Chriss or Hartenstein. And in theory when Capela comes back gives Harden vertical spacing for 48 minutes.

It comes down to expectations. I am not expecting a ton from Faried, but he can provide some positive production.

cmlmel77, saleem, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Does Fareid even know how to play a proper 2 man game? Other night I was like "WTF dude, set the pick, roll to the hoop and dunk on someone" ... that is his value to this , that and his rebounding. Im sure with practice time he will develop the chemistry needed to play the oop game with James. Still was a little turned off by what I saw as low IQ.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You answered your own question.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He can score without the ball. I liked how he cut and made himself available for passes for easy dunks. And he hit a suprise three! Nene knows how to do that too, but he's got no springs at this point.

Too bad his defense was as bad as advertised. It wasn't just getting killed by Embiid, which is totally understandable, he was missing rotations even when Embiid was out of the game. He'll never intimidate people inside. Maybe it can be improved with more practices with the team. I hope he can learn from PJ, who always manages to battle despite being even shorter.

D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about give the guy a chance to get some practices in before we rip him on missing rotations with our switching defense.

He should have drawn 2 charges on Embiid but the refs just allowed Embiid to plow through him.

At minimum, Faried just needs to be better than Chriss/Hartenstein defensively. And he will have more stamina than Nene.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually i was looking for the same but they didn't go to a lot of pnr during the philly game. the few times they did, it actually showed how well faried and harden can potentially work down the line. The lack of pnr not being utilized as much as maybe we would of liked can be attributed to some combinations of the lack of actual time together, different defensive looks philly was playing, and harden just preferring his matchup outright. He shrugged off alot of screens and picks all night. Didn't see much of a low IQ issue at all. he made several good cuts and reads during his time on the floor.

11. basketballholic

Oh lordy. Harty is a better switch defender than Capela is. Gotta watch the games.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I liked what I saw with Faried actually. The guy just flew in and put on a jersey. I think he’ll be pretty good for us

Blake and D-rock like this.
  13. Zergling

Zergling Member

To play 25 minutes in the Sixers game and only be a -9 is pretty impressive.

I don't understand starting Nene if you're going to play him 10 minutes or less. Just start Faried while Capela is out.

I'm excited about this addition because if we can keep him long-term, with Capela and Faried we have our C and backup C needs secured for the entire duration of the Harden/Paul era.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So is Zhou, our secret weapon to defend Kevin Durant in the NBA Finals... :D

MorningZippo, Deuce, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  15. BigBum

BigBum Member

He makes Nene expendable.

Trade Nene to save luxury tax!

jcmoon and DaDakota like this.
  16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t know about the era, but for sure this season if he plays decent.

If Faried shows up, as a healthy team we have a very solid rotation of guards and bigs.
    Austin is definitely not playing as well as his first few games but he’s capable of being a backup. A CP3, Harden, EG and Austin is solid. And our bigs (if healthy) of Clint, Nene, Faried and PJ is solid as well. That’ll leave Morey to concentrate on our wing forward. I like Gerald as a back up. Would love to see House resolve things with the team and then hope Morey can get someone with a combination of Ennis, Chriss, Knight, IH and picks as assets.

I’ve kinda given up on Ennis even though he was great against the Lakers

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps because when Hartenstein is on the floor, Rockets are leading comfortably by double digits and hes only exerting himself for a few minutes.

It's all about context.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's possible, but the actual context is Faried is a long term negative player on the floor with a huge sample size vs what we're saying about Hartenstein. So even if Hartenstein hasn't played much or he's played a small distorted sample with positive or neutral results, Faried must do better than that because maybe those kinds of minutes will be all we have once Capela and Nene are healthy and fit. Nene in particular looks like he is dropping lbs rapidly and regaining some mobility. Not to mention the key factor which is that we have seen closer to Faried's ceiling, while IH is at a stage where improvement is highly likely.

I'd still give Faried a shot, but like Melo I doubt we let him stay on the floor if the team is bleeding points every time he steps in. From one Rocket game and a ton of historical data, the eye test confirms my concern. His defense is truly awful in every respect before joining the Rockets, and his first game was not an anomaly. We must give him time to adapt and shake off rust and do better, but this is not a free ride. I like how his energy looks but I'm not going to be mesmerized by it if the metrics are terrible and I don't think the Rockets staff will be more forgiving than that. Defensively we have major problems, I don't think they're looking for a 1 way player if that 1 way is not defense.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

IF only we could *frankenstein* a bunch of player's abilities to create the perfect C.

.....since we can't, have to take the best option. And that is not Hartenstein at this moment.