1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you really believe Kenneth Faried will make a difference?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock Harden, Jan 21, 2019.

?

Will he have a positive impact on this team?

1. Yes-He's been in a bad situation for quite sometime

2. No-He's washed up like Melo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Translation for those who don't speak Holic-ese: With Zhou Qi having been deemed not-NBA material by the team, Hartenstein takes his place as the guy who should be playing place of the woefully inadequate Capela. During Capela's injury, Faried will be in the unenviable position of being a Capela proxy that Holic can rail against until the real thing returns.

#201 topfive, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't believe that Faried is a Bobby Brown situation. If they wanted to "pacify" Harden they would have done what it took to keep House on board right now (though I think he will be here in late Feb).

Faried is a stop gap measure at C because Hartenstein and Chriss are not solutions (and they do not believe Bruno is one either). Occam's razor.

3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

then why you ask if you already know the answer is no??

4. Rock Harden

Rock Harden Member

I want the opinions of other posters here on CFans

5. basketballholic

That is true. Point taken.

But my point does remain. I, personally, feel this was a Harden pleaser move...not necessarily the best possible option for us. There's no way we can get past the Warriors by running Capela and Faried out there for 35-40 minutes against them and thinking we can beat them playing small for just a few minutes. We've got to have a 4/5 that can switch and shoot. Faried ain't it.

Now, if we trade Capela....I'll totally understand (and accept) the Faried play. He's a pick-and-roll rim runner at the minimum. And can easily eat the limited minutes Capela would play against the Warriors in a playoff series. Or if we release Faried...or acquire a primary 4/5 to play major minutes and push both Capela and Faried DOWN in rotation minutes to 7-8 or lower when we play the Warriors..then I can accept it.

But if we go to the playoffs .... as currently constructed....even if entirely healthy and with House, Jr. signed....we aren't getting past the Warriors.

The only way to beat the Warriors is to go 5-out and play pick-and-pop with 5 shooters that can switch defend. Any team that hopes to beat them has to outsmall them and force Draymond to defend a spot-up shooter at the 3-point line to limit his helping ability. They've also got to drag Durant to the corner, totally spread the Warriors out, make them switch, and then let Harden/Paul operate from there.

So...unless we get to this point with the roster....we are wasting our time. And we are wasting another year of Harden's prime.

6. basketballholic

Wrong!

I am far from sold on Harty. In fact, I still think Zhou is the better fit for where we are at right now....even though he is gone...for the time being (and maybe forever).

What I posted above is the facts! We cannot even get to the Finals, much less win the Finals...without going 5-out/pick-and-pop and switch everything defensively. PERIOD!

So....I am for any 4/5 combination that gets us to this point. OBVIOUSLY.....Capela and Nene and Faried.....AIN'T THAT!!!!

The only thing I see right now in harty is a lot of hustle, and the ability to shoot the 3. I'd like to see him get some run with the starters and the prime rotation guys. Because WE NEED ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!
    '
    Once again.....just to be crystal clear....this isn't about hating Capela or Nene or Faried. I like all those guys okay. IT'S ABOUT WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!

Anybody that thinks we are going to beat the Warriors with Capela/Faried/Nene playing more than token minutes at the 5 against them....is OUT.OF.THEIR.MIND!!!!

7. basketballholic

House is simply a money and options decision. If we don't get better to spend our money on then we'll sign him before the playoff roster deadline and he'll be playoff eligible.

If Faried is a stopgap....and Chriss for sure isn't the answer...and Harty isn't likely answer....and Bruno wasn't the answer....then where's the answer????

Are you going to concede there is no answer and therefore we are also-rans????? If not, then come up with some answers. I've been wanting to get to answers. That's why I've suggested giving Zhou and Bruno some run with the starters to see what we've got there. We could've easily given Bruno a non-guaranteed deal....or a 10-day deal...instead of swallowing down Faried... Don't know how else we can view the Faried signing. It took precedence over a possible real solution. That tells me one thing. There is a distinct possibility that Capela is gone by the deadline. Because we prioritized signing a cheap rim runner over a better switch defending shooter that can rebound at the 4/5 slot.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seems like the ability to HIT the 3 would be more important. Hartenstein has yet to show that at any pro level. (.167 with RGV this year). His 2-of-6 with the Rox this year is his best ever anywhere. What a threat!

ElPigto likes this.
  9. basketballholic

Yeah,....that tells us everything doesn't it?

Have you actually never seen him play? You really don't know he's got a stroke????

Do you have any suggestions on a big man that can shoot the 3 and switch defend...any possibilitites???? Nope! Just jump me for suggesting looking under every nook and cranny to find that guy.

No solutions from you. That's why I consider your posts as idiocy. No forward thinking. No imagination on solutions. No process. Nothing. Just condemnation of any possible answer.

I'm wasting my time typing answers to your drivel.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I've seen every game the Rockets have played since League Pass became a thing, so yeah, I've seen Isaiah jack up those 6 shots this year and hit a couple. I've also seen him hustle, and that effort is commendable.

What I've also seen: MDA pulling him out of the game at the first chance he gets. Hartenstein is simply overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things he's supposed to remember and do, WAY more than Capela was at a similar juncture. Half the time he's lost on defense. Isaiah projects as a backup C at this level, once he gets a better feel for things. Like nearly every scout on the planet, I don't foresee him starting on a decent team unless there's an injury involved.

As for me not offering solutions in my posts, do you honestly think your incessantly babbling is considered an actual solution by anyone not currently living in your residence? But by all means, babble on. You evidently find it therapeutic, despite the laughter it always seems to generate.

#210 topfive, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Faried seems like he might have a mediocre 3pt shot by next season if he sticks with us. That would make him a viable backup 4.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He’s had a good mid range shot. I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t been able to develop a 3pt shot. Hopefully he can get on a run and get some confidence and shoot somewhere near 33% from 3.

13. dmoneybangbang

He's fine and would have liked this signing if Capela stayed healthy. Expecting him to just slide in and reproduce what Capela does is a bit ambitious as he's more of us trying to steady the ship until we are back to full health.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with a lot of this . I dunno who you are talking to in the last paragraph tho lol . Maybe I have them on ignore .

But about hartenstein. I think he's a bit better than what you give him credit for . He hasn't exactly had tons of opportunitiy and when he gets time he either does good or does bad . It's a consistentcy thing .

His defense was on point earlier in the season and now when it plays it seems like he gets whistled for just being on the court .

I think the reason why he hasn't found playing time is that his finishing isn't strong enough ... but that could also be a "speed of the game " type thing .

He's also only 20 and is 7 feet with seemingly good IQ (he makes the right passes on the short roll , good positioning for the most part ) and he has a good motor . I wouldn't put a strict backup ceiling on him yet.

I also think it's a joke that Chriss has stolen PT from him this year .

I also don't agree with all the things the rockets to player development wise .

#1 ) MDA plays a small rotation
    #2 ) MDA doesn't run much practice

So as a young player trying to improve ... and the thing you need to improve on is getting used to NBA game speed , it's tough. You don't get many opportunities.... and even when opportunities seems to present themselves in the case of injuries , MDA often opts to shorten the rotation .

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Clueless.

Newsflash Caboclo or any other "3 pt shooting" big Rox can get for vet min won't beat GSW with 5 all stars. We rely on Harden and Cp3 for that not freaking Caboclo.

Faried just slam dunking all over your posts this game lmao

16. SpGish20

SpGish20 Member

LOL at the 32 no votes :D

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Lotta foolishness in this thread.

Manimal!

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member