1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you own a Saturn car? MUST read, if so...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by verse, Feb 14, 2012.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

So, I was at the gas station with my girlfriend about a year ago and made the mistake of locking the keys in the car. Of course, there was the immediate "OH SH!!" moment where I realized I would have to either get a locksmith to show up ($$$$) or use my Sprint Roadside Rescue option. Either way, I was en route to work and would never make it there on time.

It was then that she told me not to worry...that any person that passed by with a Saturn car would be able to unlock the door. Well, I was skeptical, but willing to try it. As luck would have it, a young woman pulled up to the pump across from us. I casually approached her and explained our situation. I just needed to borrow her car key to try to open our door.

She reluctantly agreed to let me and....yes...it worked! I did some research and apparently this was a deliberate plan by Saturn. All Saturn keys are universal skeleton keys for the door lock. They do NOT start the cars universally, but will open the doors. Needless to say, we changed her locks immediately after that. I have hesitated to post this for obvious reasons (giving thieves info) but for the sake of any Saturn car owner, thought you should know this.

IBTL!!

1 person likes this.
  2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lol I used to own a '98 Saturn and I was able to open up another random Saturn (thought it was mine). I was like wtf.

3. verse

One more request...rep it if you try it and it is successful. Try your friend, wife or neighbor's key and try it on your own car. Then...IMMEDIATELY...change your door locks.

4. what

what Member

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Wow... Fail by saturn...

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Sega Saturn fails.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i had the flu last year. was walking to my car after my doctor's visit. unlocked car, sat in, put key in the ignition, then said to myself, "why is my car so clean?" the car was parked right next to my actual car. it was the same color, same make and model, just a different year. this was a honda accord.

i remember the key not turning as smoothly but it only took a couple of tries before the lock popped up.

8. verse

Greg wouldn't have posted this. He would framed Foreman for stealing Cuddy's car. After all, he does have the predilection and documentation.

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

Who would want to steal a Saturn. I don't think I have seen Saturn's show up on top 10 lists for theft.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in the late 70s i worked at Peaches in Memphis. my girlfriend at the time stopped by one night to say hello, stayed about 10 minutes, then went back outside, got in her car, a green chrysler station wagon, and headed home. about halfway there she notices a bible on the front seat. it was not hers. she looked in the back seat and saw kids clothes- they were not from her kids...and realized she was not driving her car.

drove back to the store and pulled into the space next to her car, where another woman was waiting. apparently, they used to make 4 of each model w/ the same keys, and ship them to different parts of the country. one night in memphis, two of them ended up parked next to one another.

11. verse

That is what's home state. That would never happen there. Cool story bro! House is on!!!!

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What's a Saturn car?

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's not about stealing the car, it's about stealing **** that's left inside the car. Pretty easy to do when you you have a key.

14. verse

Speeding ticket for Cannonball.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I wonder if this is the case for other GM cars?

Good thing Saturn doesn't make motorbikes.

16. verse

Fwiw, I only have seen it in Saturns.

17. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

When my wife had a Saturn we had a valet bring us the wrong car (but with our keys) one night. So it's not just the doors that seem to be universal.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL. God bless Saturn (or their spare parts that live on in current GM vehicles) and GM. Threads like this make me smile and smh.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

People still unlock their doors with the actual key....and not remote?

I thought I was among the last before my truck got totaled and got a new one.