1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the Rockets 'R' logo and uniforms?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Jul 15, 2015.

?

Answer !!!

1. Yes, I like the 'R' logo

70 vote(s)
    20.1%
  2. No, I don't like the 'R' logo

107 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. I want to keep the 'R' logo

26 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. I want a new, different logo

110 vote(s)
    31.5%
  5. I want to go back to an old logo (Championship years)

139 vote(s)
    39.8%
  6. I want to keep our current uniforms

12 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. I want new uniforms

167 vote(s)
    47.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Call me crazy, but I dig the pinstripes we were repping.

2. Buck Turgidson

Worst jerseys in NBA history, I still have no idea what they were thinking.

3. malakas

malakas Member

I love the R logo.
    There is a new chance in Logo rules so if we rebrand one of the logos has to circular now.
    I prefer if we didn't.

But the uniforms need an upgrade.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Bulls got it right it seems.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I agree with Ipaman.

Part of me wishes we would get a new logo, but if it comes out very mediocre, we would have to put up with it for another decade most likely. I don't think the R logo is that bad and just needs to be updated.

First of all, the NBA has a rule that says the primary logo must have the city and team name in it. This is what hurts our logo a lot. The houston R rockets primary just looks really bad. Check out how our logo just does not fit among the other primary logo's http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/6/National_Basketball_Association/NBA/logos/ It really stands out as it doesn't belong. Needing the city and team name shrinks everything to fit it in.

The only way i see this being fixed is making a roundel logo. Picture something like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...t2014-01-03at12204PM_original_zps56359dbb.png edited to have our current R in the middle of it. That way, you have a primary with the city name and team name that doesn't effect the overall aesthetic.
    This can also be done like Ipaman's example of the 'fantastic four' R logo used in this years playoffs. I really, really like that one too. Doing a roundel, or partial roundel gives you the option to use the R logo on its own as a secondary logo and the HR logo as a tertiary logo.

#2. There needs to be a return of yellow or gold to our palette. One poster above used an example that it was only an accent color. That is true for those uniforms, but it doesn't change the fact that our logo had predominantly yellow/gold in it. Before the 80s uniforms, we had several different uniforms that featured a lot of yellow/gold. Gold numbers, gold wordmark. Gold side panel on the shorts. I recall the color being described as Desert Gold. I HATE when rockets fans call it ketchup and mustard. You are mocking our colors and bringing on more McDonalds jokes. We are red and gold.
    A metallic like gold could be a nice modernization for those who don't like too much yellow.

#3. Our color red is just awful. Does anyone notice how it looks sort of pink in tone? PLEASE fix the color of our red. I prefer a deep, rich and vibrant red color tone.

So if we combine this red and gold look, we would end up with colors like this jordan classic uniform: http://api.ning.com/files/QymItXEcI...zIu3fBN-/West_Jordan_Brand_Classic_Jersey.png

We'd still have a clean white with red home, and then a clean red with gold away.

Of course if we stuck with our traditional colors, i would prefer the yellow gold color to be kept to a trim color only such as this incredible example of our retro uniforms modernized: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Hailkingceezer/Rockets1_zpsb995239c.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Hailkingceezer/Rockets2_zpsc7fa6ea1.png

Lastly, we need a new home floor BAD. Our floor looks so dull. Absolutely no character. No color. It is the most boring floor in the entire NBA. Add some red to the sidelines please. Do SOMETHING. It just adds to how uninspiring our entire brand really is.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I always thought the current uniforms look like peppermint candy...

[​IMG]

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I would like them to do what teams like the Hawks, Warriors and Jazz did. Modernize their classic logo. Go back to the Red and Yellow basketball logo, but add on a rocket to it. Make the rocket along our secondary.

I'm sure I've seen concepts around here that implement this well. I just want red and yellow again as our color scheme. The tertiary color is white or silver.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You cray cray! haha

Didn't everyone have cartoonish unis back then? Wasn't it part of the league trying to rebrand their image? Change the uniforms, "unthug" the league, change the Bullets to the Wizards. Seems like it was part of the clean-up era.

9. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Can't unsee.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Dress for what you want to be.

[​IMG]

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the logo and uniforms are horrible.

I don't think it being "better" than some of the other ones out there makes it ok.

They have as cool a team name as you could get. Not sure why they've managed to screw up something as awesome as a Rocket as the team name

That's fine, except I'd point out a couple of things:
    1. The classic'ness of it has more to do with the cities they are in then it being classic. It's the Yankees. It's the Lakers. Nobody ever thought any version of the Bucks logo was classic... but they probably would have if it was in NYC.

2. It's kind of hard to do Yankee, or Laker. You almost have to have a text logo. The Rockets have rockets! Freaking use that **** it a good way.

I'm not saying the Project34 guy's work is the definitive way to go, but it's a clear upgrade over what they have, seamlessly ties the old together with a fresh look, uses a rocket that makes sense, etc.

http://projectthirtyfour.wix.com/project34#!rockets-rebrand/c1u2z

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just bring back the 90's logo and uniforms.

Period.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Nope. I always hated the logo and uniforms

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I've always thought it was a 'weak' looking logo, the font is too skinny, I don't know what the horizontal circle is, the little fring-ies on the bottom don't really look like rocket blast.

[​IMG]

It would seem like a pretty easy graphic task to use a rocket angled to look in motion to make an R. Rockets can look pretty cool:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/34/874/full/iu1a7s4ee2qcwfhxayvlh86j1.png

#55 Dubious, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  16. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Was never a fan of the current model. Waiting for the rebrand to come.

17. bmd

bmd Member

It's hard to make a picture of a rocket into a good logo. It never looks right.

I'd rather a stylized text type logo.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i bet none of the players like the uniforms or logo either. probably the only person in the organization who does is les

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

initial look at the poll results... overwhelming amount of fans want change. come on lesssssss

20. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like these