1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the potential trade of Courtney Lee for Omer Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thejav, Feb 10, 2011.

?

Do you like the potential trade. C.lee for Omer Asik???

Poll closed Mar 12, 2011.
  1. yes

114 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. no

309 vote(s)
    73.0%
  1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm with you.

Plus I think Chicago, being the quasi-contender that they are, would be more willing to move that pick than a team on the brink would. Teams that are contending don't want to wait on a rookie to develop/pan out when they're trying to win NOW.

I played around a bit with the trade machine earlier, but I couldn't find any good matches that nets us that pick, unfortunately.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

That's the only reason I said the trade I did involving Ish I played and played but the only needs they need would be BMiller, can't find a way to do it we'd really want, or Ish. Chic backup Watson avg's less then 2 dimes a game... A decent backup would help out Rose quite a bit. Lee Ish is = to Asik's salary

3. faraza84

faraza84 Member

if we do this, lets send them back brad miller. He does us no good. Id see if we could pry gibson. if not at least a 1st rounder

4. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Asik looks good on paper, it's uncertain if he's currently better than Hayes. He would need development and their is always the risk of Asik never reaching his potential and being a bust. On the other hand Courtney Lee is already a proven NBA commodity.

I would probably need more filler with Asik, but whatever the conditions I would have faith in Morey in making sure both teams get equal value somehow.

Hollinger tried to play up Asik's value in a proposed Lee trade, and called Asik a "game changer" defensively (why isn't he starting over Thomas then? Rookie or not a "game changer" would still start I think.)

But after looking at the extension-less Carmelo deal he proposed Houston do (with Camby, Mo Williams, and Harrington's contract) while giving up Martin, Brooks, Hill, Pat, Bud, and Yao, I don't doubt Hollinger's basketball mind, but it seems like Hollinger is obviously not in it for Houston's interest in these trade deal suggestions.

5. anchel

anchel Member

Young centers like Asik often are not properly valued... until someday, suddenly, everybody kills to get one of them. And then you see overpaid contracts and that stuff.

If you can get one of those players in time, you're doing a very good operation.
    You must have in mind that a valid center will always be more valued than a valid SG in this league. If the franchise truly think he can become a solid center in the future, he does deserve a Courtney Lee in exchange.

Even if we're talking just about a good backup center: a good backup Center > a good backup SG. And this is the worst case scenary.

Lee is a good young player, will improve with experience (as well as Asik), but I don't know if some people are properly valuing the importance of having a center like this. A long term move.

(Didn't you want Terrence? He can be a better defender, better rebounder and better playmaker than Lee).

6. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

It seems like a lot of you overvalue Lee. He's at best a complementary piece 2 guard who can't do anything great, but is good at a few things (aside from his transition athleticism). He's a good shooter, not great. He's a good defender, not great. Asik is equal value just for is size and toughness alone. He can pan out as a starting center, or at minimum, be a great backup center. Trading for a young big man, and a vet big man, seem like the smartest moves we can make, and having one of each is definitely not bad. Plus, if we keep Bud and Williams, both can get court time.

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/5176

Bulls not interested in trading Asik
    Posted by mikemcgraw on Thu, 02/10/2011 - 18:45

The Bulls are interested in an upgrade at shooting guard, but they have no interest in trading center Omer Asik to Houston for guard Courtney Lee.

This possibility was suggested in the Houston Chronicle. With Yao Ming’s career possibly over, the Rockets have a clear need for another center. But the Bulls like Asik’s potential too much to give him up in this sort of deal, a league source confirmed.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Bulls like Lee. Rockets reply with Asik and additional pieces... Bulls say no thanks.

You get asked about a player, you respond with a proposal. Simple negotiation.

9. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

You make good points, and it's something to consider.

My only thought is that we already have backup centers in Hayes and Miller. But neither of them are really solid true starting centers. Draft history has shown plenty of legit looking centers who should have been solid starters and became busts.

Asik hasn't proven himself as a starter yet, and although I agree with you that SGs are easier to replace, but also a solid two way player who has already been a starter and is still developing shouldn't be undervalued either. (keep in mind Asik was drafted in the second round, we also have the option of keeping Lee and trying to draft a center in the first round)

Anyway you look at it, if Morey thinks it's worth a direct trade Lee for Asik and it's the best trade scenario for the team long term, I'll trust his judgment.

10. Mooch

Mooch Member

I would never do that. I believe Lee still has alot to grow. He reminds me of iggy when he first started out in the league. He just needs time. This asik guy will not get us in the finals, he is a backup center at best. We can get something better for lee

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Yes...

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

No i would not give up Lee for that.

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It seems this article's author claims the trade idea is merely a Houston biased idea from the Chronicle, but the author himself writes articles and ideas for a Chicago newspaper. (biased himself maybe?)

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There's something wrong with this board if we don't want to give up a proven reserve guard (not starter) for a potential starting big man.

Wings grow on trees - especially the 6'5 ones.
    Defensive wings who shoot 3s USED to be extremely rare, but there are more and more of them around (especially the 6'5 ones).

7 footers who can block shots, rebound and play intelligently at the offensive end are scarce as hens teeth.
    ESPECIALLY ones whose natural position is C and not PF.

No brainer if it's possible for Hou...

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, but Courtney Lees don't grow on trees. :grin:

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rox want more for Lee, Bulls want more for Asik...deal will get done. ;)

17. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Okay, I see some people are confused, some know. Asik is a good play.er, very long and active. But this would be a desperation trade unless additional assets or included. Lee is a proven player and has great morale. Most fans do not even know what he is capable of because of his minute placement. Asik would be a gamble that could pay off but not at the expense of C.Lee

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah they do.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Iggy was averaging 18/5/5/2 in his 3rd year and he could actually start for his team.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I wouldn't compare him to Iggy either but the only reason Lee doesn't start here is because we have an all-star caliber SG. Lee could start for quite a few teams and his per 36 min stats back it up...

14ppg, 5rbg, 2apg and 44% shooting/40% 3 point shooting (Rounding Up)

Add that he plays above average defense and A LOT of contending teams would gladly take the guy. If Kev got traded, i'd feel more then comfortable plugging him into the starting lineup.