1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Like the Direction of the New Look Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Do you like the direction of the Houston Rockets?

1. Yes

367 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

id like it even more if we trade kmart for any combo of picks or non-guaranteed contracts

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really question what team you guys were watching last season if you think McHale is going to give serious run to anybody he doesn't feel gives us the best chance to win. He doesn't care about upside, he cares what you can do for me now. And that starting five he's going to run out there a ton because they are his best chance to win? That is an average starting 5.

The bench is extremely raw and I'm not denying we will be a below average team next season. But I don't buy for a second that we will be terrible and unless we get extremely lucky on lottery night we're not going to pick in the top 5.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think Morey probably has had long discussions with Howard's agent. His offer is probably dependent on his estimation of the likelihood of Howard staying. Morey seems to be having an all star GM performance this summer. Let us both hope friend that he maintains his sterling batting average.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You should switch your wavelength then. Inexperienced teams don't win in this league. We are going to have three people in our starting lineup that have never started on a regular basis and one of the other two will be Parsons who has started for a little over half a season. We will not be anywhere close to a .500 with the lack of experience we have. I can't name 5 teams that I am confident we will finish ahead of. Can you?

5. Asian Sensation

The bottom line is we're going to struggle this year and struggle pretty bad IMO. However, there's plenty of opportunity for these young guys to show what they have and I think we will be pleasantly surprised but the bottom line is the majority of these guys don't know how to win on this level (yet). We have a lot of growing pains to go through.

Here's something to think about.

Kevin Durant in his rookie year led the Sonics to an amazing 20-62 record. The next year when they drafted Russel Westbrook the two of them led them to an astounding 23-59 record.

Even LeBron James in his rookie year finished 35-47.

Of course those two guys were pretty much sure things but it took them a few years to really learn how to understand the league and win.

Obviously we don't have a single player on the level of Durant or LeBron but we do have a deep cast of young guys with great potential but the key is to be patient because it will take time.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm OK with rebuilding and letting the young kids play. I'm more excited for this season than any in a long time. I think Kmart has to be moved one way or the other.

I hate to lose games but mostly it's going to be essential to see progress and effort every day.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And that is the thing I most admire in McHale. He would rather cut off his left testicle than lose. But with an (hopefully) inevitable Martin trade the lineup will consist of players in their first couple of years. And they will be teething. In the Western conference they probably will be beaten unmercifully. However, Howard completely changes the calculus of the season. Either way it will be fascinating.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

And, if we were starting a bunch of 19-20 year old rookies and second year players I would agree we were gonna be terrible. Problem is everyone in our starting lineup is at least a third year player, except Chandler Parsons, who is an older, unusually polished second year player. All of the guys in our starting lineup are at least 23, as well.

9. Asian Sensation

You are delusional. Also, how does McHale know what combination and players are going to give him the best chance to win if he doesn't play them? You claim that our bench is exremely raw... Our whole team is raw. I bet you can't even accurately predict what the starting lineup will be opening night.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Barring injury or trade, it will be Lin/Martin/Parsons/Patterson/Asik. How is that even difficult to predict?

11. Red Glares

Red Glares Member

This team is on its way to Lottery Bound and possibly the worst record in the NBA. I see the Rockets being horrible for 2-3 years. Before the players develop etc.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I personally would never call an upstanding member of Clutch like Orem delusional. He has his opinions and they are valid. Maybe his concerns are over blown. But he does deserve respect.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Rockets have only had 5 losing seasons over the last 30 years. Those seasons were:

Code:
    Years     W/L
    2005-06   34-48 
    2001-02   28-54 
    1999-00   34-48 
    1984-85   48-34 
    1983-84   29-53
    Here is a link to the stats: http://www.nbauniverse.com/teams/records_houston_rockets.htm

I want to see the Rocket win as much as the next person. But sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward. Considering their history over the last 30 years, perhaps we need to cut the Rockets some slack and allow them the space they need to complete a thorough bottom to top rebuilding effort here. If we will allow it, the Rockets should be winners again in a sustainable way within a few years.

14. Asian Sensation

Well I certainly appreciate his optimism.

15. Arthurprescott2

one step back, two steps forward to come!

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thanks jtr. I agree with you it will be interesting to see how things play out. I'm just very worried by the patterns I've seen in the past with this organization. Maybe if Morey was willing to get Martin and Patterson the hell out of here before the season started I would feel more confident this team was going to be terrible.

But history suggests otherwise. Morey will wait until the deadline so he can get max value for Martin, and Patterson will be run out there as a starter because he's our most polished high-character PF.

I hope we trade for Dwight and it's a moot point... barring that, I hope I'm wrong and we somehow start Lin, Lamb, Parsons, Motiejunas, and Asik. But I don't expect so. We'll see.

17. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

It really doesn't matter. Very very likely, we are going to struggle this year, but if we going in to the playoff it really mean one or two of our rookie have LB level of potential.

18. cheaterwon

cheaterwon Member

We are a global team we dont care what you look like just if you can ball.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

This is what I want with White and Jones adding backup minutes at the 3/4/5.

20. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

To be honest, I actually hope Toronto to get 1st - 3rd pick this year, cuz I've heard this rookies next year are the worst in this decade.