1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Like the Direction of the New Look Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Do you like the direction of the Houston Rockets?

1. Yes

367 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Don't think there was a choice. Last year's team was good but just wasn't good enough to be contenders. Don't think it would have changed if we kepted the same line up this year.

This year's team (barring Howard Trade) will suck. I just don't us putting up enough offense consistently to make it into the playoffs. Nor being a lock down defensive team with the players we have. However I do think there'll be flashes of potential that can be built upon next year.

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Thats the Magics fault for surrounding him with terrible contracts

3. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

It would be funny if Marcus Morris has a good season, and everyone on Clutchfans will hop on the Morris bandwagon again. :grin:

4. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

This Years Team:

PG - Jeremy Lin 6'3" 200 lbs age 23
    SG - Kevin Martin 6'7" 189 lbs age 29
    SG - Jeremy Lamb 6'5" 185 lbs age 20
    SF - Chandler Parsons 6'9" 227 lbs age 23
    SF - Marcus Morris 6'9" 235 lbs age 22
    SF/PF - Royce White 6'8" 261 lbs age 21
    SF/PF - Terrence Jones 6'9" 252 lbs age 20
    PF/C - Patrick Patterson 6'9" 235 lbs age 23
    PF/C - Donatas Motiejunas 7'0" 222 lbs age 21
    C - Omar Asik 7'0" 255 lbs age 26

Obviously there has to be some additions and the Dwight Howard trade is still up in the air so that could drastically effect the look of the team as well. But just looking at this team, the first thing that jumps out at me is the average age of the team which is 22.8 years old even with advance age of Kevin Martin averaged in. Additions to the Rockets outside of a trade for Dwight Howard would likely be players like PG - Scott Machado age 22, SG Zoron Dragic age 23, C Greg Smith age 20 and SG John Diebler age 24.

I would not mind if we can trade Martin, Patterson, & Morris. and pick up a another decent 7'0 C or draft picks.

then we could play and develop our youngsters.

PG: Lin / Fortson / Machado
    SG: Lamb / Diebler
    SF: Parson / Jones / White
    PF: Donuts / White / Jones
    C: Asik / Donut / if we find someone from trade.

A team with lots of potential plus all the picks we have in coming up year. looks good for rockets in future years.

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Funny thing is, we would have to take a couple of those, not too mention I keep reading how bad Lin and Asik's contracts are. Now if we go get say a Gay type player, then we are copying the Magic with adding on overpaid players. That's what free agency does.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

No offense, but you are talking out of your ass. This mancrush on Howard has obviously left you blind to reality:

1) Howard does NOT want to play here
    2) Howard has never won a championship (sorry but taking a team to the finals and not winning it does not count - that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades).
    3) Howard is a DAMN diva!!

Why take a chance on getting someone like this who will only play a half season or one full season (if he is ready in time) and then leave us with a bunch of overpaid bums like Turkoglu and also with little young talent?

But at the same time, why keep playing guys like Lowry, Scola, Budinger, etc. that are good to solid role players but not stars? I've been sick of this close but not good enough of the last couple of years where we are the 9th or 10th best team in the West. When Yao retired, that is when Morey should have started this plan. Oh well, at least he is now committed to doing it.

I don't have a problem with this team winning 30 games or less because it is a "got to see the forest and not the trees" scenario. Because if we are patient and hold onto guys like D-Mo, Lamb, Rolls Royce, Jones, etc., we will be rewarded. We have to break the cycle of mediocrity and this is the way to do it.

crash - thanks for the thread and great read as usual. Always enjoy reading your posts as they are so informative.

conquistador - for the love of GOD, if I see you say "Maury" instead of Morey one more freaking time, I am going to jab my eyes out. If you think you are being cute by doing that....you're not.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Two 2nd round picks via New Jersey? Aren't those from New York?

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Lets see from:
    Dalembert/Hill/Thabeet/Smith (and later Camby)
    Scola/Patterson/Hill
    Parsons/Budinger/Morris/TWill
    Martin/Lee/TWill
    Lowry/Dragic/Flynn

to

Asik/Smith
    Motiejunas/Patterson/Jones/White/Johnson/Harrellson/Williams/Brockman
    Parsons/Morris/Simpson/Forbes
    Martin/Lamb
    Lin/Douglas/Livingston

Still have some huge holes but we aren't through yet. Even if the Howard trade doesn't go through and we move Martin for a pick, we look to be heading for a top 5 pick to me as we will have a huge hole at backup SG and backup SF and backup C and a very, very young list of starters. They will be fun to watch though but we just have to be patient.

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Do these Morey tweets indicate the end of <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Rockets">#Rockets</a> offseason? A roster roll call on July 24 gives an impression of finality. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523NBAFreeAgency">#NBAFreeAgency</a></p>&mdash; MoiseKapenda Bower (@moisekapenda) <a href="https://twitter.com/moisekapenda/status/227869393995067392" data-datetime="2012-07-24T20:54:31+00:00">July 24, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't like the finality. Bring me Howard.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

No way. We have no rookies in our starting five. Some of you constantly overestimate how young we would be to start the season.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well, for all of you concerned people out there, we have broken the mediocrity cycle. Les gave a nod and in a virtual heart beat Morey torched a roster that had the 9th seed for three straight years. For better or for worse.

Right now Houston sits on an Ocham's razor named Howard. If we fall one way we are top 5 lotto, if we falls the other the Rockets are probably a holy terror come the 2013 playoffs. There in no in between.

Yes, Howard does make that much of a difference. He is better than Bynum on the court in every way but free throws. Next to Lebron, he probably adds more games to the win column than any other player in the NBA. With Asik the Rockets would have a top 3 paint protector in the game all 48 minutes. Who else would you want down low when a fast PG breaks down Lin off the dribble?

For the Rockets franchise this is a defining moment. I just view this as a fascinating story line. I cannot wait until Howard falls one way or the other. Lotto or playoffs? Lotto or playoffs?

1 person likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not going to argue with you guys about adding Dwight or not adding Dwight. I'll stick to the subject of this thread and just say that unless we do, no, I am NOT happy with the state of the roster. We have taken one step backward from last season and mired ourselves in the treadmill. I won't be able watch and hope for the playoffs, nor hope for a top 5 pick. The only possible outcome if we miss out on Dwight is defined by one word:

Meh.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

22.8 years old. Before we inevitably ditch Martin.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think the direction is still unclear. Morey could trade the farm for Howard, then we could have him and the seven dwarfs (symbol for the little talent that is left). That could be pretty ugly. If we don't get Howard, we are tank city, but it could still be entertaining. I would rather go with the young guys and let them develop. Especially Lin, Lamb, Parsons, and Donuts have loads of potential. With Asik in the middle and Martin back to form, pretty good starting lineup. No playoffs, but fun to watch. And they may do better than expected. With Howard, we become Magic West, all our young talent will likely be gone and we are stuck with Orlando's castoffs and everybody Orlando didn't want from our roster.

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Kinda what i was thinking... I really don't want Martin back!!

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If (and when) the Rockets dump Martin they quite possible could be taking a shot at Zeller or Noel in the 2013 draft. Things are not that bad friend. Although like you I am on the Howard bandwagon.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Average age of starting 5 is much more than that, and the starting five will be getting the vast majority of minutes.

18. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

C'mon dude ...seriously ? just sounding pathetic now

The best player will be a 2nd year Parsons ... like that's really gonna challenge for a playoff spot or something :rolleyes:

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, Chandler Parsons. All solid starting caliber guys. I think Patterson has a shot to rebound and be a solid starter as well. Those guys together will probably comprise something like 75% of the minutes the Rockets play in the first half of the season. I would not be surprised if the Rockets went .500 until the trade deadline when Martin leaves.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, we either get Howard or start to rebuild the team with a group of young players, we are not going to be in mediocre form for another year anymore.