1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you leech off other people's internet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenochimera, Jan 9, 2006.

?

do you leech?

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. no

53 vote(s)
    63.1%
  1. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

How can they get your IP? Your IP should be theirIP.# They could probably get your computer name though.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't, either. Did you know they have logs of what traffic goes on the PC you use to steal their signal? They can easily trace the route to your PC name and trace it back to you. I don't want them to see "bbs.clutchfans.net" on every log line they see on me. ;)

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I was mooching off a neighbor for a while until I finally decided to purchase my own router. I have mine locked up to prevent the same type of leeching.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If you are on their router, they can EASILY get your IP address. Hell, if you aren't on their router and they really wanted to get your IP address, they can. Come log on to my router, good luck, and I will show you how quick I can mess your **** up.

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Yeah, but the average computer user doesn't know how to do all of these things. If they did, they would have encrypted their router....

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have no signals around, so I couldn't if I wanted to. But, I probably still wouldn't. My own signal is encrypted, but I doubt anyone else could leech it anyway -- I can hardly get a signal upstairs, I'd like to see them get it from outside the property.

7. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

There are a few unsecured wireless signals in my apt. complex. As a result, my roommate and myself haven't paid for internet since August of last year.

Is it wrong to do this? I dunno, but I'm a poor college student, so that has been a good enough rationale to me for the time being.

8. JJ

JJ Member

How do I encrypt my router so no one can leech off me? :(

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if you allow me access to your network via a unsecured wireless ap, I can do anything I want.

transfer all sorts of files, gain control over your machine(open/close cd doors, turnoff/restart your machine, etc)

It isnt very hard to do, I could do it and I'm a relative newbie to cracking\hacking.

never take your security lightly, someone could use your address\computer\network to committ computer crimes and have law enforcement trace back to you.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Give us your IP and your computer name and we will take care of it for you from here. ;)

jk
    ------
    Seriously, though, we might be able to guide you if you just let us know the brand of the router.

11. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Harry Potter does not.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There's been an unencrypted WiFi access point that's close to my mom's house in Ft. Worth for the past two years, and I jump on it with my laptop when I visit. If you're giving it away for free, I'm going to make use of it when I need it...

13. JJ

JJ Member

I have had a D-Link for a little over a year now. I have never worried about it, but now I want to make it more secure.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Leeching internet is so 2005. Leeching satellite radio is 2006.

No more bull****,
    Howard Stern

15. Fatty FatBastard

I would if I could, but there's only secured access where I'm at.

16. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

if you get airsnort and dwepcrack you can break in.

17. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I used to have cable modem and an encrypted router in my apt, but I was out of town for a month and cancelled my service. When I got back from vacation, I had full unencrypted signal form three different sources! Not bad

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Everytime i'm tempted to go wireless...one of these threads pops up.

I'm so glad I wired my house cat5.

Old school rules. (although here i thought i was cutting edge for once....).

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

FYI leeching unsecure wireless is NOT against the law... ACCESSING the user's files or systems is against the law, ie adding stupid p*rn to their computers for a laugh or changing configuration settings on their computers or routers.