1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Have Faith In Tom Savage?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Mar 18, 2015.

?

Do You Have Faith In Tom Savage

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

oh gosh no!
    If they have a chance to draft Petty/Grayson/Hundley (whoever they like the best) in the 3rd, I'd pull the trigger and cut Savage.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not really. But I have as much (or more) faith in him as I would Petty, Grayson, or any other QB we'd likely be in position to pick with the possible exception of Hundley. Which basically means I wouldn't have much faith in those guys either. I just don't see the point in trading in one project QB for another when the current one hasn't had a chance to develop yet.

We'll be in the same situation next year. Petty wouldn't play. We'd still be looking for a starter. And people will be attracted whatever the next "QB with upside" is if we're not in position to draft a top guy in the 1st. It sounds like the dumbest game of musical chairs ever. Keep rotating 3rd string rookie developmental project QBs and get rid of them before they even have a chance to actually develop. And wasting draft picks in the process.

#22 Cannonball, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think the experience Petty and Hundley have with winning programs make them a viable option

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Put me in the same camp as Buck here. Come back and ask this in three years...

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. The best he could achieve is prime Schaub and I doubt he can become that serviceable. If that's his ceiling he is not worth placing faith in.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Petty would need a full season on the bench like Savage because Petty is coming from a gimmick offense to BOB's complex system. It will take him at least one season to learn enough to become the starter. That is if he's even able to make the transition since so many gimmick college QB's rarely pan out.

I think we need to give Savage at least until his 2nd year to see if he shows BOB any improvement. If BOB doesn't think he can make it in the NFL draft another project next season. That is if Mallett can't play.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

The only way you answer those questions about Petty is to have him in training camp.

8. Cannonball

I don't think that makes much of a difference in the pros. Tim Tebow came from a winning program. That was the biggest positive on him. That he was a leader and a winner. Didn't really matter much, did it?

As mentioned, Petty has a big transition to make. Word out of the Senior Bowl was that he struggled because he'd never actually had to read a defense before. He's not going to play as a rookie unless there's injury. And then what happens next year? Are people going to be ready to get rid of him when they haven't really seen him play like they're doing with Savage?

IMO, Petty has more experience, but it's experience in a system that typically doesn't translate well to the NFL. So I'm not sure how much that helps. Savage has better tools. Which is better? I don't know. In reality, I don't think either will turn into a legit starter. I think it's a lateral move at best and I'd rather give Savage more time and spend the draft pick on somebody who stands a better chance of suiting up and playing for us.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TJ YATES has more of my faith than Savage at this point

Rocket River

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

No one expected Russell Wilson to be starting as a rookie either.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Wilson played in a pro-style offense in college which made his transition easier.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also they ask VERY little of him as a QB, he's averaging 26 pass attempts per game for his career which is almost 10 fewer attempts per game than the league average. Basically he's had training wheels on his whole career.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do agree he looked really intimidated at first but I thought he began to settle in pretty nicely...even after he hurt his knee. I mean, the guy has barely played football the last few years and when he did the competition was not great.

I'm trying to hold back my optimism but I thought he looked over the field well and he throws the ball well.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prime Schaub was arguable top 10 ....if that's not worth putting faith in then what is?

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think the seahawks were running the read option before Wilson

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(The anti-Schaub crowd dug their heels in years ago and his incredibly rapid decline has only solidified their defiance. They'll never budge an inch on him (he lost of Green Bay!). Ever.)

17. Cannonball

What does that have to do with him running a pro style offense at both Wisconsin and NC State?

Yes, Seattle has read option plays. They're still a pro style offense. And the fact still remains that QBs that come from pro style offenses in college typically have an easier time transitioning to the NFL.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Savage is a lottery ticket too,with low odds, but still can give you hope.
    why have another QB 5-7th round pick, if you already picked one.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The 2011 the Seahawks completed an 7-9 season under the helm of Tarvaris Jackson as their starter (2nd season with Pete Carroll). They had a solid 2011 draft and followed it up with a solid 2012 draft. The 2012 summer they ended up bringing in via FA Matt Flynn, and then subsequently drafted a QB in the 3rd round (Russel Wilson). Then they had a 3 QB competition and the story practically unfolded itself.

In regards to drafting another QB for this season, we have to ask the following question: Can Tom Savage eventually take over and be more proficient than the incumbent and the Free Agent. Its been a full year that Tom has had under an NFL coaching system, and if the Texans do go the route of drafting a QB btwn the 2nd-4th round...that should be extremely telling of what they believe Savage's potential truly is. Personally I do believe that the Texans draft a QB somewhere btwn the 2-4th round, and I am thinking they may actually consider Grayson as a 3rd round pick...

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the Texans replace Savage in the draft, they will do it next year and not this year.

If Savage shows enough to keep this year, next year's the QB depth chart would be Mallet-Savage-draftee. (Assuming that Mallet out plays Hoyer.)

If Savage does not show enough, next year's QB depth chart would be Mallet-Hoyer-Draftee.

Or in other words, Hoyer only stays more than one year, if he outplays Mallet or Savage sucks. (Assuming no QBs get injured.)