1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you have a land line?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jul 22, 2009.

Tags:
?

Still have a land line?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Does the cell phone have to be home in order for this to work?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I didn't need it for DirecTv, but for DSL. If I had cable, I would have cable internet. It was the only way for me to get the internet I needed at the time. I'll be switching to Direct DSL if the price warrants it. I was planning on going to Cable once my DirecTv contract runs out.

3. updawg

updawg Member

if you are Tmobile customers get the tmobile @home service for $10. Basically, voip. I have had it about a year with no problems

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

My wife refuses to give up the landline. And there are some battles not worth fighting ;).

But I suspect our land line plus her cheap cell plan is likely not too much more then an unlimitted cell. Especially since our net access is tied into a bundled plan with the land line.

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

You can have a cell card installed in your system that will transmit the data to the monitoring company instead of keeping a phone line..
    LINK

To the OP, yeah I'm under 30 and I have ALWAYS had a land line.. I prefer to use my home phone over my cell, the sound quality and connection is always better no matter the phone or carrier.. Only my family and a select few of my friends have my house number as most of them know that my home phone or e-mail is the best way to reach me.. I don't like to be bothered when I'm out of the office or away from the house so I tend to leave my cell off.. If someone really needs to talk to me they'll call my wife, she always has her's..

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh. Well I have DirecTV and comcast cable internet. It's the best of both worlds. :)

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm jealous. To be honest I didn't know that was possible.

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Answered "No" but it's sort of a "maybe".... I have 3 lines forwarding in on Vonage.

No connection through a traditional land line phone company though.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Do you get league pass? If so how does your directv update the games with no land line?

Edit: I should have read all your posts... there are receivers that don't need the land line to update? Which one do you have.. cause that's what I need.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the direcTV receiver I have (the HD one with DVR) has ethernet ports in the back.. I also go with direcTV and cable internet (Cox)

11. Hayesfan

ah, see I don't have the HD dvr... I have the regular dvr... do you have to pay for the upgrade (I am betting you do)

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

whoa you dont have a hd-dvr...yeah you do have to pay for the upgrade

but i would guess if that you are a customer that isnt in any contract you should be able to get it free as a "new" customer if you ask they usually will give a receiver for free to new customers.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah i think it's a $5 per month upgrade or something.

But you can haggle with directv over so many things. I think I convinced them to waive that fee as long as I signed up for some specific plan or higher (but it was a plan I'd get regardless cause you need that plan to get NBA TV, among other things)

I can't even list all the other things I convinced them to give me..

14. Hayesfan

I don't even own an HD tv, why would I pay for the dvr ;) I am a poor college student! LOL

I am currently in the process of upgrading everything electronic in my house though and plan to ditch the land line, go broadband for my internet and upgrade my cell phone plan so I can "app" along with everyone else... so this would be a good excuse to go ahead and get the new tv too!

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah my DVR's update directly through the satellite. You don't have to plug in a phone or have it on a network.

I'm talking about the newer HD-DVR's. Yeah I think they tell you it costs to upgrade to them, but I got mine for free simply by asking.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I havent had a land line the past 6 years. Though I'm not trying to make it extinct or anything. Just that a cell phone provides me 97% of my phone needs. And 900% additional items of games, internet, etc, that a regular phone doesnt have

If a land line offers cheaper long distance, I'll hook one up. They still offer cleaner more stable connections. Though land lines are sure to be secondary options only in the future regardless of quality

17. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

yes, due to DSL being the only available provider for my internet, ATT forces me to have a land line as well, but its off and never used

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It does not use your cellphone line. The system uses its own cellular network with its own access card/unit independent of your cell network. I have one installed at home...would-be burglars cannot disable the monitoring response by attempting to cut the phone line.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes. The last phone I had, an HTC Apache/PPC 6700, was done battery-wise after one or two days; regardless of whether or not I called anyone on it, or even turned it on. If I ever surfed the web on it, like one or two sites for less than 5-10 minutes, that was 50-60% of battery life. Not having any family close by, or friends anywhere, means I'm kind of a hermit, so I like to have as many lines of communication as possible; especially now that I'm in a semi-passive job search.

20. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

This thread woke me up and now I'm going to ad another cell line for my mother for $10. Saves me around $26 a month. Great thread.