1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Just came across this plot of immigration enforcement numbers:

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Well we know which country is providing the overwhelming demand for the drugs and we know which party prefers loose labor laws which helps illegal immigrants.

3. Cohete Rojo

Therefore, it is a good thing we have a president that is willing to stop the flow of contraband and illegal immigrants.

Now, if only Mexico could get on board.

4. dmoneybangbang

Lolololol. Not possible. A wall won't stop drugs or people, the cartels have larger budgets getting their products and people across.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Again..... the US/Mexico is the most travelled border crossing in the world.....

Going after employers will actually stop illegal immigration. Conservative drug policies only make organized crimes more powerful.

Mexico is on board with smart policies, not stupid ones.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Cohete Rojo

So, it kind of turns out that Mexico is violent.

Just remember, the current president of Mexico ran a campaign promise to remove the military from the battle against the cartels. Yikes.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is fascinating data -- source? Suggests two things, unless I'm missing something:
    * border enforcement is largely independent of party and following longer-term trends
    * Apprehensions are strongly tied to returns, as if we only nab people who are coming back a 2nd time.

Thoughts?

8. Cohete Rojo

https://www.stoltzmaniac.com/us-immigration-enforcement-part-1/

I think a point plot of apprehensions and returns or a line plot of the difference in the two may confirm your second observation.

If it is data about Mexican violence you after, try this: https://elcri.men/en/

9. Buck Turgidson

Look this one up while you're at it, CR:

Violence in Mexico has no bearing or correlation to violence in the US, in border regions or elsewhere.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

No ****, powerful, multinational cartels that thrive due to US policies...

They have bigger budgets than the US does, such a futile battle.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's very strange that he keeps on the point that Mexico has violence. It's like he believes every person who sneaks over the border will be a cartel kingpin going to set up a violent army here in the U.S.

12. Buck Turgidson

All I know is Texas: look at Juarez vs. El Paso, Laredo vs. Nuevo, Del Rio vs. Acuna, etc....

13. B-Bob

Thanks for the first. Not so interested in the violence part, though I know Hollywood producers (and some politicians) like that stuff.

14. Cohete Rojo

Never said there was. Look it up, Buck.

15. Cohete Rojo

Why would you ignore data, especially for a physicist (iirc)? Hollywood movies and political rhetoric are merely manifestations of reality.

What people like Buck and dmoney don't get, is that the violence is not spontaneous, nor is it without cause. Violence is what the cartels use to grow their territory - to gain power. The more they kill, the more they grow. The more territory they acquire, the more contraband to the US they can smuggle.

I've made the analogy to the 1980's drug trade between Columbia and the US, and how increased border security lead to a decline in cocaine smuggling. Though, I see many posters here have chosen to ignore that. I don't think that reiterating it for the nth time will make any difference.

16. Cohete Rojo

I whole-heartedly expect someone such as yourself to fall for such a red-herring.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

uhm... okay

18. B-Bob

There are infinite data, so we have to choose what to worry about.

I don't fault you for worrying about violence in Mexico, and I actually agree with many of your points about it, (it is not random or spontaneous -- it is a method, etc.)

But, in my view, that still doesn't have a dramatic impact on our country, day to day. The drugs definitely have an impact. The illegal immigrants? Not much a negative impact, IMHO. More positive, in my view, over all. that's our history, and I'm the great-grandchild of an illegal stowaway to America.

What we can do in America is try to address why the hell our people are so depressed and hopeless that they just want to take scads of drugs instead of seeing a viable economic way forward in life.

19. MexAmercnMoose

el chapulin colorado has a hard time understanding that the drug war involoves both countries....not just Mexico...Mexico needs to step it up, at the same time, the US needs to do something about its drug problem....too many GRINGOS doing drugs

#139 MexAmercnMoose, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  20. dmoneybangbang

lol... I get it. Do you get that the US provides the demand for illegal drugs?

Columbia isn't Mexico, as the DEA shut down the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean to trafficking which caused the cartels to switch to Mexico being the major entry point. How is a wall going to stop drug flow along the world's most travelled border? You can't seem to grasp that a border wall is a mere speed bump in 2017.