1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you feel the emergence of Jones makes up for drafting White?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Yes or no?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2013.
  1. Yes

66.3%
  2. No

33.7%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No right or wrong answer, IMO. I just want to know what the general feeling is now.

[​IMG]

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can't hit them all. If 2 out 3 pan out during a draft, you are doing great. Lamb got us Harden, and T-Jones is playing like a top 5 draft pick.

3. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

No. One has nothing to do with the other. A wasted draft pick is a wasted draft pick.

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

always feel a 16 pick was thrown away.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

The fact that you could've taken literally anyone else instead of Royce kinda hurts. But we did nail the Terrence Jones pick. Actually nobody after Jones really sticks out to me, so w/e.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Jones makes up for Joey Dorsey. Morey has some catch-up to do before he can make up for Royce White.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well... they're two separate drafting decisions. I would rather we got Jones and Sullinger. I was calling for Morey to draft Sully for months before the draft. Think of how solid our big man rotation would be right now. We wouldn't even need a backup center really, I mean yeah we'd be undersized at times when Dwight was off the court, but Sully's offense would make up for it.

So does getting Jones make it a good draft? Sure... does it make it a good decision to pick White? No, not at all... that was one of Morey's worst draft picks ever.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sullinger.

9. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

T-Jones was a solid pick, and White was a gamble from the get go. Personally I think the 16th overall pick is a bit too high to use on a gamble. Perhaps the Rox's brain trust did not fully understand how debilitating his condition is.

10. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

White was worse than a total loss and nothing could have made up for it. It would have been better if he broke down and never played again than how he went about everything.

11. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Do you feel trading 7th pick (Rudy Gay) for Battier was a disaster?
    Do you feel we shouldn't have given up Richard Jefferson + 2 others for Eddie Griffin?
    Why we didn't draft the bigger Howard with Garnett jump shot in Hassan Whiteside?

These threads are ridiculous.

When you are drafting, you are taking gambles. Some pan out, most do not. The White pick had a huge reward and thus came with huge risk at pick 16. Should we have taken a more safe pick, say the other Zeller brother? I don't know. If the other Zeller was playing 20/10 ball now, should we have taken White anyway? I don't know.

2 people like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Because 16th picks are normally very valuable.

2012 Royce White
    2011 Nikola Vucevic
    2010 Luke Babbitt
    2009 James Johnson
    2008 Marreese Speights
    2007 Nick Young
    2006 Rodney Carnet
    2005 Joey Graham
    2004 Kirk Snyder
    2003 Troy Bell
    2002 Jiri Welsch
    2001 Kirk Haston
    2000 Hidayet Turkoglu
    1999 Ron Artest

16th picks aren't normally very great. you can't fault Morey for going for what he thought was a player with elite skill instead of a role player.

I remember how amazing we all thought he was in Summer League. who knows how good he would have been if he didn't turn out to be such a lazy creep.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Umm.....yeah, that's why i wrote THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER. I'm not complaining or have unrealistic expectations of draft picks. The point of the thread is to see what the general feeling is around the board, which i also specified. It's not about facts or figures, or whether it was a good pick or not, but what fans feel now about the situation.

Some will argue the pick was wasted, which is a good point. However, others can argue that's why Morey picked up extra picks in the first place, so that he could gamble and still likely come up with a solid 1 of 3, at least. Both sides have solid points. The poll is just to represent if fans feel like they can move on, or not, from it.

Maybe you should read more than the title before commenting.

#13 RV6, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Three draft picks in the teens....

One was a key piece in landing our best player (and the elusive superstar that DM has coveted for years)

Another is having a breakout year and looking like our future starting 4

....and one was a complete flop.

So, yeah, let's cry about the one that flopped ;)

1 person likes this.
  15. vator

vator Contributing Member

I think the only way this REALLY works out is if D. Mo pans out. What the heck does D. Mo have to do with this you ask? Simple...we needed to move contracts to get Dwight here. We traded Marcus Morris, Royce White and Thomas Robinson and we kept T. Jones and D. Mo. Out of those 5 guys, 3 had to go. All the other 4 would have had to go had we decided to go with Robinson because of his high dollar contract. It isn't looking good right now, but if D. Mo can have a reasonable career in comparison to whomever else we may have chosen at Royce's spot, it doesn't really matter because we would have had to either trade that guy or D. Mo to free up the cap space to bring in DH anyways.

All things considered...I vote YES!

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Well, my general feeling was that these kind of threads are ridiculous. That wasn't an option on the poll, though. ;)

17. scottie brooks

Don't get your feelings hurt. When you ask questions on this board you should expect not all answers will pan out. Just like the White pick ;)

18. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I didn't mind the Royce White pick at the time because it was a high risk vs. high reward situation. At the time we were lacking a superstar, so we kind of needed to swing for the fences. Obviously it turned out to be a huge failure, but you can understand where we were coming from.

As for the question, I don't think the two have anything to do with each other. T jones was a great pick, while White was the worst pick possible (a first rounder who will never play an NBA game?!? Ridiculous).

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We could have had Tyler Zeller!

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This.

We all knew White was the highest risk prospect we drafted.