1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you consider New Jersey part of New York?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

In terms of sports, do you think New Jersey is really part of New York City's metropolitan area that's divided.

NY Giants - They are in New Jersey I believe..

NY Knicks - In New York, Downtown

NY Jets - I think their arena is in NY Island

NY Yankees - Really in New York..

NJ Nets - In New Jersey

NY Mets - They are in New York..

NY Rangers - In NY

NY Islanders - In NY
    I'm not completely certain of that info above but it goes something like that.. DO you think that New York really have 8 teams? Or do you think the two NJ based teams are separate? (I didn't include the NJ Devils because they are far off of where NY and NY meet)

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Giants and Jets are NYC teams despite playing in NJ but also have a strong NJ fanbase. (Jets HQ is in Long Island though)

Devils, Nets are not considered to be NYC proper teams. Only NJ people root for them.

North Jersey in general is part of the tri-state area along with Conn. suburbs.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

New Jersey is a suburb of NYC.

4. tigereye

tigereye Member

The region isnt called the Metro Tri-State Area for nothin ya know......just sayin.

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

Gotta correct one thing here: The Isles are Long Island's team. In their logo, Long Island is shown minus Brooklyn and Queens. The hockey stick also points to Uniondale, where those fags play.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

New Jersey people would consider themselves part of NY but not the other way around.

the Meadowlands, in East Rutherford NJ, is home to the Nets, as well as the Giants and the Jets, who play in the same stadium.

The Jets are no longer HQ'd in Long Island. They are NJ based year round now. The Giants are based out the Meadowlands year round.

7. TheBigAristotle

Isn't NJ a giant waste dump?

8. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Northern Jersey is suburban NYC

SW Jersey is packed with Philly fans

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

one last thing...

the Devils play in Newark, which is still considered Metro NYC area...

put it this way- you could get to Newark or East Rutherford from Penn Station faster than you can get to Yankee or Shea Stadium...

If the Nets don't make their move to Brooklyn, I see them joining their former neighbors in Newark...

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

NY teams play in NJ probably because it's cheaper to use the venues in Jersey. They won't change their name from NY to NJ because New York is more marketable. It doesn't help that NJ has the reputation that it has now either. It's weird that all that separates the states is a river

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

North Jersey is basically the cesspool armpit of NYC. South Jersey is actually kind of nice.

So I guess half-yes.

But yeah, like somebody said, everyone in the south is basically a Philly fan.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Well, space too. You couldn't build the Meadowlands Sports Complex in NYC.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The thing that gets me is how the Giants, Jets, Nets, and Devils (until 2007) play in the same complex but somehow 2 are supposed to be New York teams and 2 are supposed to be New Jersey teams.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Tigereye is right about the Islanders. I used to work in Hempstead/Garden City and they definitely are Long Island's team. No real association with NYC at all

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

This has always baffled me as well. I don't get how you can call a team from one place when all of its everything is in another place. I don't care how close everything is mashed together up there.

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

An NFL team plays in an arena?? That's news to me. Boom!

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol.. w/e stadium..

But thanks guys for clarifying.. understanding NY is a mess for me.

18. duwende

duwende Member

Basically NJ is split between south and north. North Jersey is typically considered the suburbs of NY. People live there and take the train to work in Manhattan.

South Jersey is all farmland and is a heavy Philly sports team fan base.

But NJ as a whole is still considered the armpit of America. I went to the St. Patty's Day festivities in Hoboken yesterday (yes they celebrate it REAL early) and while I was walking past 4 bars back to back, every single one was playing Bon Jovi with every D-bag known to man pumping their fists.

19. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Even weirder -- all that separates downtown Detroit from downtown Windsor, Ontario (Canada) is a river.

[​IMG]

20. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie