1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you believe Jeremy and Omer "are going to be here"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Behind the scenes....

1. Asik is still being offered.

17.1%
  2. Lin is still being offered.

4.5%
  3. Morey's still making calls and both are actively being shopped.

49.2%
  4. Morey meant it. Both are officially of the table, and this squad rolls out next season.

29.2%
  1. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Worst thread ever!

After Morey said point blank yesterday,'Asik and Lin will be on the team', you posted a two weeks old tweet from an unreliable source.

You have no credibility ever!

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think if a deal was to be made before the season started it should have gone down already. If you think about it they had all the time from playoffs until the moratorium to get things done.

SO if your question is just until the season starts then for sure both Asik and Lin will be here...I think what Morey does is he asks for lowball offers in hopes somebody will bite, which is why you always get these trade offers leaked. However unless someone really blows him away I don't think DM will make any moves before he sees what the team looks like, you don't mess with something unless you understand it already.

3. liljojo

liljojo Member

I don't believe either are being actively shopped, but Morey's phone is always available to GM's asking to be fleeced.

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

It's like this guy doesn't realize that Charlotte already has Kemba Walker. They don't need Lin.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Everybody is on the table for the right price.In Dwight and Hardens case that Durant and LBJ but that's not a realistic scenario.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So far there are more than 162 rather lame brained voters on this topic and I haven't even voted yet?:p Y

7. GMNot

GMNot Member

"News", both hard and sports, has been entertainment for a long time now. But sports always has been. The characterization of a typical sports writer, as portrayed in "The Natural," and as played by Robert Duvall, is why we get so many fluff, speculative articles. It sells -- not newspapers anymore, but reputations. Too many sports writers are more concerned with their own notoriety than with facts. Stirring the pot is standard M.O. for those types.

We all agree that Morey will listen to all offers. He isn't doing his job if he doesn't. But make no mistake. There is plenty of embellishment going on here.

Why no one wants to give weight to Howard's opinion (or seems to forget it as quickly as possible) kind of boggles my mind. Do we think he was just making BS up for the media to say he wants to play with Asik (and Lin, too, AFAIR)? I think he is sincere and will do everything he can to help make Asik happy. And if that is his wish, why would Morey be shopping someone Howard wants on "his" team? Elite players can get coaches fired. Keeping liked players is simpler and requires less effort. Why would we roll out the red carpet for Howard and then pull it out from under his feet? Logic folks. Logic. Until the roster doesn't live up to everyone's hopes -- including Howard's -- there will be no serious moves, IMO.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's not so much the reporting for me. It's mostly specualting on happenings. Maybe they're (reporters) all speculating too. But it's not hard to speculate. They sign Brooks and then talk about Miller and Camby to a full roster. Yeah teams bring in plyers to fill the roster but that's usually rookies and unsigned free agents. Not proven vets in demand. Look at are roster if we sign Camby and Miller...

C-Howard Smith Camby Asik (4)

PF - Dmo, T Jones, Henriquez, Covington (4)

SF - Parsons, Garcia, Casspi, Miller (4)

SG - Harden Williams Young (3)

PG - Lin, Brooks, Canaan, Beverly (4)

If you cut the obvious, Henriquez, Young, Covington, Greg smith and send Canaan, That's still means someone has the sit on the end of the bencehh every game unsuited. Just strange way to fill the roster out. But who am I to question Morey's plan

#108 Old Man Rock, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

I didn't vote on this thread, does that make me normal?

10. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

I'm in the party that Morey just said what he said to preserve any value he had left with these guys as trade assets. I mean, with the whole Asik demanding a trade and Jeremy Lin's very low stock, saying that "We are actively trading these guys" might as well say he's giving them away for free. Which is a travesty because they can both be high impact guys, their contract just makes it a little unfavorable with the ballooned payment in their last year, regardless of the "8.3 million" cap hit.

We should stick with them til trade deadline, and we'll see what happens from there. If nothing has happened now, then nothing will happen until then. This is not a knock on Jeremy Lin's ability, nor is it a knock on Omer's. It's just a different team now, a different goal, and these guys are going to have to adjust to fit it, otherwise they need to go. I personally, wish Lin could be with this team, with the chance to gain more experience in the playoffs. But, that's just me. Having Omer as a rotational player is a luxury and should put us into at least a middle seed because teams seldom have that.

Can you imagine if the Miami Heat had Omer Asik as their center? That would be beautiful.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Morey would trade his mama and grandma if his analytics say they will make the Rockets a better team. I think he would trade Dwight for Lebron if the Heat wanted to make that change. Morey isn't closed minded when it comes to making trades. So if trading Lin and/or Asik improves the Rockets in his vision then they are gone.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Morey is always looking to upgrade from role players, and both Lin and Asik are good role players.

DD

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Outside of Philadelphia, Dallas, Denver, and Boston, I don't know if there is a team that values Asik as much as the Rockets.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We've heard him say the same thing before

many many times

15. Raven

Raven Member

Not cool, bro. You can't use common sense to support your post!

;)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can not believe what Morey says - he is honest, but he also is cagey enough to know what is going on behind the scenes, after years of reading his stuff, I am convinced that he answers on a percentages basis, but things happen that change those percentages.

So, listen to what he says, but realize he is open to the opposite in most cases.

DD

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No way Covington gets cut. That's Morey's 2013 diamond in the rough. Could see NBA action before Canaan does.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree that Morey is honest, but chooses his words carefully. Asik and Lin aren't untouchable. Morey isn't trying to get rid of them. He is trying to get a third star. They just happen to be the ones with contracts that would be needed to match a star contract.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

using Bill Ingram to back up one's assertions is always a bad idea. That said, i do agree with Pistons/Bobcats theory on most likely Lin destinations. I also agree that Lin and Harden did not compliment each other very well last year, but i do think that if Lin can become a better spot-up shooter, those claims about them being an incompatible backcourt will be overblown. Part of me honestly believes that the best possible outcome for the Rockets and Lin is to let him play out this season. I do believe he'll be much improved, and i think he'll be a warrior for us come playoff time. That, and he'll increase his trade value.

but if the bobcats or pistons come calling with a good offer, i won't blame morey for prematurely exiting stage left on the Lin era. Just don't see that happening though. He's got a lot to prove before his desirability reaches a level where we are being offered good assets for him.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree with this part a lot. Rockets did not have a training camp with Harden. I think Lin will be used a lot more in the role of the second PnR ball handler. I see Harden running the initial PnR with Howard. If the defense collapses, Harden will kick out to Lin (or kick out to PF who then passes to Lin). Lin either shoots if open, drives by an aggressive close out, or initiates second PnR with PF against a distorted defense who's help defenders are unwilling to leave Howard and Harden.

Last year, I think the Rockets didn't really stick it to distorted defenses. Lin has to shoot when he is open. Hitting a good percentage of threes only helps a little if you are only taking a few shots. By shooting more threes, he will force the defense to close out aggressively and open up his ability to penetrate with and without a pick.

I am hopeful that the offense progresses to the point that the offense has more branches after the initial penetration. I felt too often the Rockets just didn't know what to do if the defense prevented their initial attack leading to Harden being left to isolate. Rockets should be a top 3 offense this year.