1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you believe Jeremy and Omer "are going to be here"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Jul 23, 2013.

?

Behind the scenes....

1. Asik is still being offered.

17.1%
  2. Lin is still being offered.

4.5%
  3. Morey's still making calls and both are actively being shopped.

49.2%
  4. Morey meant it. Both are officially of the table, and this squad rolls out next season.

29.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I get what you were trying to do. I think Morey knows that Lin and Asik are really good fits for the team and I'd doubt that he'd trade them just to trade them.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Asik and Lin are on three year contracts. Morey tries to trade such players at the trade deadline of the second year.

3. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I am not being defensive at all; but I am questioning the article writer's position of stating something as if it's really "obvious" when it's not really obvious to me at all.

Having said this, unless Lin fits in very well with Dwight, I believe Lin will be traded sometime next year, while Asik might be traded the year after that.

4. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I think Asik is as good as gone before the opening day of the season... Jermey (and his congregation) may be here for a while.

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Anyone who follows Morey knows this situation. Everyone can be had for the right prize, even Harden (if Miami offers LeBron). But the key here is the right prize.

Morey doesn`t like selling, because that usually ends up with being lowballed (which he had to do to get capspace for Dwight). If he doesn`t have to do it, he won`t do it. But he will listen to offers. If he gets an offer, that he believes can make our team better, he will take it.

Asik has huge value, both for this team and on the open market. But since he will most likely play under 20 minutes a night, of course he could be traded. But Morey will only pull the trigger, if he gets at least his market value back (knowing Morey, he probably wants even a bit more).

Lin has huge marketing value and plays about up to his contract - but there isn`t really a market for point guards like him right now. There are just too many. This makes it really hard to trade him and really hard to get fair value back. He plays alright on this team and has a great work ethic - so Morey is probably perfectly fine with him staying here.

Worst case scenario: both play out their contract here - this would result ins us having a ton of capspace in 2 seasons. I could live with that. If we get a good trade before that, I´m cool with it as well.

In closing: Morey is ALWAYS listening to offers... nobody is safe...

1 person likes this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lin and Asik will be moved but Morey is waiting on a third piece to come available first. It'll happen though.

7. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Interesting take. Maybe because Asik really expressed his desire not to be a back-up?

8. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

At some point, you have to decide to either make a run for the title with a core group of players you currently have OR get new players and then take one or two years to work out the kinks before making a run for the title.

9. LikeMike

I don`t really disagree - but there will always be tweaks. And if a way superiour player becomes available, Morey will trade some of the core players. Of course, this happens almost never - but if you can get LeBron, you do it.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

One reason you collect lots of assets is sometimes you have the opportunity to improve your team, while at the same time getting less than market value for what your giving up (basically overpaying). You have this luxury when you have more assets than you can utilize efficiently.

Now, what you say is one's preference surely. And most of what you say I agree with. But I can easily see us overpaying for someone like Love or LMA for example as long as our core remains basically intact.

I would say any combination that is not Dwight, Harden or Parsons could conceivably be in the discussion if the return made us better.

1 person likes this.
  11. LikeMike

I would almost go as far as to say: you can`t overpay stars (only if you have to give up your own stars to get them). When you get the best player back, you usually win the trade or at least get even. If we can get either Love or LMA without giving up Dwight, Harden or Parsons, we can`t overpay. Even if we have to include Parsons (which I would hate) I don`t think we would be overpaying.

The question is: would we be content to get Ryan Anderson for Asik, when a lot of people would argue, that Asik has higher market value? I don`t think Morey would pull the trigger here, because he would be overpaying (just a little) - if they include a first rounder, well now it`d get interesting...

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Good point about the team getting the best player in the trade getting the better of the deal.

But something like:

Asik/Lin/Jones +(2) 1st's +(2) 2nd rounders For LMA is over paying IMO, despite getting the best player. Not saying this deal would go down as is, just making the point.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd guarantee---guarantee---that there are some teams out there interested. Those not turned off by the balloon payment for each of Lin and Asik ($15,000,000 in 2014-5) probably tried to pry away Parsons; at which point Morey said, Nope.

Of course, Morey's looking round an empty office these days as far as Team Morey. He trains them, success was had, they got better jobs.

Morey will bide his time so that teams don't lowball him.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Cool. I was actually leaning the opposite way. With Asik being the first priority, still involved in talks. If they can't devise a strategy to keep him happy with [starter?] minutes along with Dwight during summer camp, I don't think Morey risks his losing value during the season. I think he's still asking for offers to prepare for a move if the summer experiments (Asik + Howard) fail.

15. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I read this report by Groberman,it is fiction and meant to grab readers. These two have never been shopped. Groberman quotes old second hand "reports" that were published while Morey said he was not shopping them. I have read almost all the other articles stating Lin was being shopped for a variety of players or to many teams none of them has turned out to be true. They just want to get you to read their article.Most of the articles have been in Bleacher Report, Rant,and Yahoo. Most if not all of the writters are young amature writers. De Moor, a young kid, whos only credential is that he is a rocket fan, has penned two articles that trash Lin. One was published in Bleacher Report and was was published in Yahoo. He was listed as a contributing writer. We are being manipulated so that these "reporters" can break into the "sportd news" industry. Beware.

16. LikeMike

It might just be me, but I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Losing all our picks hurt, but getting this line up in return is worth it. Definetly a championship contender:

Beverly / Brooks
    Harden / Williams
    Parsons / Garcia
    LMA / Moti
    Howard / Smith

In my book, that`s 3 stars, one ultimate role player in Parsons, very serviceable PGs and an okish bench (would probably need to upgrade, but we still have the room exception and next season we get the MLE). Best team in the west easily and matching up well with Miami.

17. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

I agree, BUT I think Portland would take less than that and still be happy. A 3rd team should be included though as Portland honestly has absolutley no need for Lin.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL!! Oh man that is awesome! Someone who can put together a good trade scenario should make up an email and send this fool something and see if he does it again. LOL

19. jocar

jocar Member

GM: "______ is not being shopped."

Media with team connections: "GM is shopping _____"

They both have motives, and one is lying. Based on history, which one do you believe more?

20. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Thanks for sharing. Always good to review the background of the "contributor".