1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Believe in God?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SSP365, Jun 28, 2013.

Tags:
?

Do You Believe In God?

1. Yes

55.3%
  2. No

32.6%
  3. Not Sure

12.0%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Any poor schmuck that started one of those "MY S.O. dumped me" threads in the hangout for the past few years.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOL. That could very well be true.

If that's their limited idea of all that love is, then I feel bad for them. But my guess is that even those people will believe in love again before too long.

3. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

No to the conventional "gods" and pretty certain there is no "god" which we cannot fathom with the obvious caveat that I can never know if I am wrong.

I will say that I know enough about what makes me, "me", to know all the ideas of an afterlife are... wishful thinking. Sorry, you just rot in the ground.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I agree, but whats more annoying is... Oh look, 2 posts below, i dont have to explain it. Here:

They always seem to pop out after the ******* atheists, right after the guy who says i get tired of all of these assholes.

No one cares about your religious beliefs except you and the people at the place you worship with. So if you do not have said place, then you are another person who either says i believe in god or an atheist. No one cares.

6. DwightHoward13

Yes, I believe in God. It is hard for me to believe that a complex, interconnected world could exist without God.

7. amaru

amaru Member

lolwut?

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Again, you have to define your concepts, but if you accept the best science we have right now, that everything we can perceive started from a single point of singularity, then by definition, everything is interconnected since it was once all one 'thing'. From that point, the laws of physics, the process of Entropy and the element of time account for the complexities. There is no real need to add an anthropomorphic omnipotent entity into the equation.

However, human information is always limited, by the range of our senses and tools, by our point of perception and by time. Our understanding of physical laws tell us something existed before the Singularity, but since no information existed before the bang we will always have to live with an uncertainty about it. So, you can stick a God in there if you want.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I believe in God but I have a disdain for organized religion and the bible.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

The problem with religion is that you can't just believe in this and this, which draws you to it but always have to believe in this, this, that and that as well and if not you've strayed too far. In most cases, it doesn't require to question anything and everything remains unchanged even as our society and understanding of the world does move forward.

I've tried to read through the Bible front to back many times but it's damn near impossible. I can't relate to what's going on because, firstly, the names are mostly foreign and second the way they lived is far different than we do. I'm like "who cares?. The Gospels, Revelation, the first part of Genesis and maybe a few others are the only books that are even remotely readable.

I don't say that to criticize Christians, many of whom are good people, or the Bible which isn't a complete waste of time but ultimately I'm not falling for the faith of Christianity. That said I still think Jesus was real but that the story we're given doesn't quite measure up.

12. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I was just saying that there are assholes in all groups and they do not define the entire group. I already stated in this thread that I am an atheist and to say no one cares about someone else's beliefs is a bit absurd. I have couple atheist friends who pretend to be religious because of family and social pressures. Atheism has negative connotations in many cultures including my own so its not as easy as "no one cares".

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I believe in Yeezus

[​IMG]

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

17. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

It's not as simple as that to explain life.

18. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Belief in a God does not have to equate a belief in religion.

That is the problem with current atheism I think, it just seems to be a backlash against religion, mainly Christianity.

19. DwightHoward13

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

We are all made of star stuff. We are a means for matter to know itself.

Simple enough for me.