1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with the renaming of our Calendar Eras from AD/BC to BCE/CE?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jun 13, 2014.

?

Should Calendar Eras be named:

1. Before Christ / Anno Domini

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Before Common Era / Common Era

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Disclaimer:
    There is no right or wrong answer, this is strictly an opinion driven poll. Having gotten the disclaimer out of the way, I’m still interested in your rational for your opinion. I will give my opinion but with the advanced knowledge that I will very likely not change anyone else’s opinion. Nor is that my intention.

Several years ago when my kids (who have all graduated HS) were in elementary school, one of them came home talking about the calendar and how the proper calendar eras were no longer Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) but instead Before Common Era (BCE) and Common Era (CE).

At that point I did something that I would always advise against doing, I got into a philosophical discussion with an 8 year old kid. On top of that I tried to use facts to support my argument with someone that received a different set of facts from an organization that I had taught him to trust unequivocally.

My opinion was that it was silly and served no real meaningful purpose to revise the calendar eras from AD/BC to BCE/CE since everyone already knew that the moving from one era to the next was based on the year that Jesus Christ is supposed to have come into the world. Renaming our calendar eras had no effect on that truth and in fact would only serve to confuse elementary school children.

My son then informed me that I was wrong because his teacher had taught the class that AD/BC were not the same as BCE/CE because one was religiously motivated while the other was not. He also informed me that the teacher had warned the class to expect resistance from some of the parents on this subject because of the way this was taught in class when we were kids. The teacher, whom I had conditioned my son to believe in, had conditioned my son to reject my thoughts on the subject before I ever had a chance to discuss it with him.

At the end of the discussion I told my son to consider all of the facts, keep an open mind and come up with your own opinions based on your own observations. The truth is, regardless if you are a Christian and believe in Jesus Christ or if you believe Jesus Christ is no more than a mythological figure like Zues or Odon, Dionysius created the calendar eras based on the year Jesus Christ is supposed to have come into the world. There is no calendar difference between BC/AD and BCE/CE.

This further validated my already formed opinion that our public schools frequently do not teach the facts. Instead they mold the facts to fit the sensitivity needs of certain groups of people and then teach the modified facts. Science, history or facts should never be altered to fit the sensitivity needs of any group of people regardless of race, sex, religion or atheist. To be honest, this is probably the real point to this thread.

BTW, I think the calendar eras should continue as they have been; BC and AD. Having said that, I don’t think it is really that big of an issue either way. The truth is, I think BCE/CE have been around for a long time but it’s just not what was typically taught to most of us 50 something’s.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. There is too much of a push to wipe out any religious identity in education. As much as some would love to wipe religion off the face of the earth, history is history. As much as I wish the Holocaust never happened, denying its existence will not make it so.

Removing BC and AD is trying to remove and bury a piece of history. And this is why Americans are falling further behind in the world. We are too busy trying to be PC.

1 person likes this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah agreed.

trying too hard

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sounds like the teacher has a very strong opinion on the matter and is trying to implant that in students.

IMO, it should be left as is.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What does it profit us to make the change?
    I don't see much . . .seems like change for change sake

Rocket River

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As long as they are still basing the calender on the same date, calling it something different is pointless. This is basically nothing more than academic masturbation.

7. DwightHoward13

Our public schools have become churches dedicated to the worship of mankind. Christians are seen as heretics. There are two ways you can minimize getting a really bad education at a public school. 1. Avoid taking sociology classes taught by women. 2. Avoid taking sociology classes taught by males.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Weak sauce arguments - ranging from incoherent to lazy to borderline hysterical - like this tend to reinforce in my mind that it's a good idea.

9. DwightHoward13

That's pretty ironic coming from you. Also, you should provide your own argument if you are to judge everyone else.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm getting that now with my kids. They come home and tell me something that isn't quite right, too simplistic, or plainly ideological. Sometimes I'll prod the kids on it a bit. But, I don't get too upset about it. These teachers are helping me educate my kids, so I'm going to give them some leeway to teach as they see fit. By the time the kids are grown, they'll see the switch to the Common Era terminology (or whatever the case is) for what it is. I think it's good for them to get different views and even conflicting views to chew on.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Really?

This man makes sense

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How is Teacher putting their 'modern views' on kids
    Any different than previous teachers putting their 'archaic views' on the kids

Its all about social engineering.
    IMO, The effort to make this change awards us little to nothing of value

Sam Fisher has yet to tell me what the value of this change is . . that is justifies the effort.

In the economy of school time and energy . . .this is effort that could be spent on other things. . . even if it is minimal.

Rocket River

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i prefer AC/DC.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I didn't even know this was an issue and don't have a problem with it. I still use AD and BC, but if the current proper nomenclature is accepted as CE or BCE then I want my kid to use it. Regardless, of what I believe. I think you handled it well. Better than the teacher presented it.

I do sympathize with the contentious issue of reconciling the education of your children with respect to your own beliefs. For example, I'm more concerned with the state of Texas thinking it's okay to teach my kid creationism disguised as science.

Hell, I was taught there were nine planets in the solar system and four oceans on earth. Ask your kid that question now...

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

No big whoop. Seems pointless to me, but whatever.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

I like it!
    [​IMG]

17. SamFisher

So sayeth the monkey whose first instinct was to whine about christian prosecution in public schools and then blame a cabal of evil sociology teachers for corrupting our youth. Get the **** out of here.

you both asked, so I'll answer, thoguh I don't particularly care - dating things in reference to the non-birthdate of the son of an alleged magic man in the sky which may or may not have existed even historically (even aside form all the magic stance) - is inherently absurd.

The less you passively reinforce the idea, it's probably more consistent with the idea of an academy based on fact and learning and not fiction and superstition. It's fine to teach about the bible as literature along with its peer works like The Fellowship of the Ring or Beowulf or the I Ching or the Vedic texts in a school. Other places, it probably doesn't belong.

As far as what justifies the "effort" - it takes virtually no effort to add a letter here. Font is cheap.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are still referencing the same date though, they are just calling the miscalculated date of Jesus' birth the start of the current era.....that's literally the only difference, which is why it is stupid. If you don't like that the calendar is based on the miscalculated date of Jesus' birth then change it to something else don't just change the name.

19. SamFisher

Because it's easier to change the name than the date, and because basing something on an event that may not have even happened (birth of a guy in Palestine calling himself Jesus) vs. something that definitely happened (the "common era" as specious as that term is, being commonly understood to have begun) is different.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you haven't realized it yet, Sam is nothing but a troll. Ignore it and it will go away. Better yet, block him as many others have.

1 person likes this.