1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we sign Jack Cooley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 10, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would say that he has DEFINITELY got the attention of the coaches during Summer League.

Still I dont think they sign him until the dust settles with other roster situations they have to take care of first. I dont think anyone will pick him up until training camp. If they do then thats just a gamble you have to take.

But yes, I would say that he's definitely taken away Ohlbrecht's roster spot wtih the Rockets/RGV for sure already. Ohlbrecht hasn't impressed me at all and for a big man he doesn't play very big at all. Not really even sure what he's good at other than just looking big.

Cooley looks to be someone who can fill that Hockey Goon role for the Rockets in the future. Really has a great nack for rebounding and tracking the ball.

Really impressed with this kid. Hopefully other teams dont swoop him up and the Rockets can sign him to come into training camp & develop at RGV this year.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dr. Denton Cooley was my late father's heart surgeon. Any relation?

3. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Great post. Rebounds = Rings (quote from Pat Riley). I looked up SL and Cooley's stats were the ones that jumped off the page to me. Look at someone like Larry Smith, who literally had no skills other than rebounding (and couldn't even shoot free throws), and he was extremely valuable for many years. I have zero knowledge about Cooley's background, but if he can rebound, we've got to give him a look, and if we have an extra spot on our roster, give him a shot.

4. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Have you guys watched him in summer league, or just looking at the stat sheets? I'll admit, I didn't see him play at all in college, but I've been unimpressed in summer league.

He hasn't played a lot of minutes, but the times he's been out there, he's looked lost and clumsy to me. Additionally, several of his rebounds have come with not many around him--it's not like he's overpowering other guys down low and beasting.

Just my thoughts, but from watching him yesterday and Sunday, just not impressed yet.

5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Don't know. Dr. Cooley played basketball for the UT Longhorns, BTW.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't know that. Interesting. I met him several times (Dad had bypass surgery back when it was first being done, and Cooley did the heavy lifting), and he's tall!

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i think he'd make a decent 15th guy, there for practice and stuff, but he'll never be an nba rotation player.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The game isn't just played on one side. And the fact that he looks lost out there is even more impressive that even not understanding the system and defensive scheme, this kid still has a knack for getting boards. Maybe no ones boxing out but he is. TJones said coach wanted him to play D and rebound but Cooley is doing a better job in both. His game is most definitely limited.

It will be interesting to see if he gets more minutes next game. Going in I was most interested in watching Canaan and TJones but since Canaan is out I want to see if Cooley is a keeper. So more minutes for him is what I want. Also I like Covington but as a stretch4 possibility.

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Fair point. I have not watched him, and it is definitely possible to get "lucky" in rebounds for a given game (from personal experience as a coach and player), but after more than a few games, it no longer becomes luck. The next stage is when teams actually focus on boxing you out because you are a rebounding machine, and then if you can still get boards or at least facilitate your teammates getting the boards.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I've only seen bits of our summer league games, and on crappy streams. Seems like everytime I look in, Covington's stroking a 3. Another tweener [sighs]...

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

He's not the player we need now. So, NO!

12. Old Man Rock

Exactly, He is not anyone who will make a big difference or even get much playing time this year. Just seems like a tough guy around the basket for the cheapest price we can get.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only legit rebounder on our summer league team is Greg Smith. Jones seems allergic to the paint and that guy Menriquez or whatever just sucks.

Cooley is a good rebounder but that's almost by default. Unless he can show he can do more than that like defend (which he can't without fouling) he's no t making the team over Greg Smith.

14. Big Red Machine

Jack Cooley seems like he'd be a great guy to have in practice, but I don't really see any value as an actual NBA player. Slow, doesn't jump at all, his feet are always positioned as a V. I just don't think he'll be able to cut it against even NBA bench talent. There was a better version of him to come out of Notre Dame (Luke Harangody) and he couldn't make it in the NBA, either.

He's a D-League or European player. But I do suspect he'll be in training camp for a minute.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Meh. I watched both SL games, and at this point in his development, Cooley's not worth wasting a contract on. Let him try to earn one at RGV.

(And WTF was up with that 3-point attempt he took yesterday? That was ugly.)

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

People saying he doesn't jumped haven't watched him play. That's pretty ridiculous.

In the first summer league game a lone dude was attempting put back slams out jumping everyone around the rim.

17. Big Red Machine

Typically a flat-footed rebounder.

It was kind of hard to miss Notre Dame on TV. They were on ESPN every week.

18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Wouldn't he be competing with Covington? Covington already has a partially guaranteed contract tho. Why not just sign him to the Vipers and see what happens?

19. trowa2

trowa2 Member

he is going to be cheap and a non guarantee contract, so i dont see why not?

20. Old Man Rock

He can actually play some center. Covington is a stretch 4 at best. So far this summer league T Jones Covington and Cooley have impressed me. Cooley is just a hard nosed player that will defend every minute he is on the floor. 7 bds in 9 minutes already today. 3 games in a row the best rebounder on the floor. This guy can do it in the pros.