1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we sign Jack Cooley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 10, 2013.

1. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Pass. Looks good in the SL so far but idk if it can translate over at the moment against the big boys.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

is it possible to use part of the 'room exception' to sign canaan?

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes but it makes him a free agent after 2 years and that's actually worse than signing him to 1 year mo. He will clearly be worth more by then and some team will overpay for his services. I would love to get a parsons type contract on him for 4 years guarateeing the 1st 2 or even 3 if we have too. That's how Morey has Morey has Smith Beverly and especially Parsons on such sweet contracts.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm sure his agent will be wise to morey's tricks by now (the whole league probably is) and canaan will outright refuse a parsons type sweetheart deal for DM :grin:

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Morey is pretty creative with contracts and I'm sure he has a plan to make it all work. I agree that we need to get Canaan on a 3 to 4 year low salary contract like Parsons or Bev.

I mean wouldn't it be possible for the first year of his contract to be low and then give him a combo of raises and bonuses to make up for it later? I have to believe that Morey worked out scenarios for all this.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

For sure and if the wing defender can shoot a bit,it will be even better.

7. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

He really doesn't have too much leverage as a second round pick who I assume really wants to play in the NBA and especially for a contender. Oh and we have two point guards above him right now, so we don't exactly have a desperate need at the position.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Doesn't look like an NBA player to me.

9. Old Man Rock

I said you put the extra periods so your post would stick. No point in arguing it. If you didn't understand before you understand now. As for disagreeing with me. Not a problem at all. I am not even sure I agree with me. I definitely don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me. I didn't call you a stupid or an idiot or any thing like that which I openly say to people when I believe it to be true. I just thought you could give a little insight why you don't like Cooley.

This is not a yes or no poll and no gives adds almost nothing to this thread. The truth I am not even sure I want to keep him. But after 2 Summer League games he is showing the exact same style of play he did in college. He rebounds and rebounds and plays smart and shoots efficiently around the basket.

I would like to see if he can do that with us. It's a low risk bet that IMO is probably worth it. One of my experiences is if you watch a player continually do what he does best at every level that he competes at than he probably will follow that pattern. No guarantees but it is certainly a better bet.

It's why I had some red flags with TRob and Burke. They struggled in the Tourney against superior teams. We all know what happen to TRob and Burke is struggling now in summer league. Of course I still think they can work it out but the NBA is better competition every night. But if you look at another example of TJones who while nowhere near the athlete of TRob he continues to do what he does at all levels. I hear people comparing TJones to LMA or even Josh Smith. But he is not that player. He has always been inconsistent with his shot. But he has also always been a decent rebounder and shot blocker with decent handles and a willing passer. That may not be the player some hope for here but along side Howard he might just be a good fit.

Anyway my point is Cooley is a value and I think he might be worth a 4 year deal that gives us all the outs after year 1. That is a very low risk contract. And your answerr to that is NO... with periods to stick/be accepted. Duly noted.

#29 Old Man Rock, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  10. Old Man Rock

If that's the case then he gets 490k guaranteed and if he has a career ending injury then salivee, sorry charlie. We do have a little leverage but not much at 570k. Parsons signed that deal because he didn't know if he would make it in the league and there was some guaranteed money being thrown at him. Maybe Canaan has more confidence and will only agree to a 1 year deal. We'll see soon.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

back on topic -- cooley reminds me a little of laimbeer, except that he's 2inches shorter and playing in an era where he's now badly outmatched in hops and athleticism compared to other big men.....if he could make his mid-range jumper automatic then i might see him as an end of the bench guy who can stick to a roster, but otherwise i just don't see any hope for him in this league

12. Old Man Rock

That's a fair assessment. You might be right but so far it looks like he can rebound. He might (Just a guess) carve out a niche like Chucky Hayes.

13. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

From what I have seen in these past two summer games, I would keep him. The man just out hustles everybody on the court. I've already started chanting "Cooley, Cooley"!

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

We can sign as many minimum contracts as we like.
    Sign Cooley to the minimum rookie non-guaranteed with a team option for next year.

I don't really care if we give Canaan the rookie minimum or something a bit extra. Does it really matter if he walks? He's not going to get much more from another team. Give him 570,000 fully guaranteed for 1st year, 70% for 2nd year, team option for 3rd year.

He's not gonna find a better opportunity than the Rockets. If he walks, so be it.

15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I wouldn't sign him to a contract with any future guarantees in it just yet, but I think he's earned himself a training camp invite.

I think the questions about how well his game translates are fair, however he does have what you want to see in fringe NBA players: a skill-set that sticks out.
    He's been productive both in college and these two summer league games, he plays the game the right way and guys with his skill-set, never mind motor & energy level are great for training camp. Zero downside, really.

I don't like comparing guys to players that played in different eras because the game has changed so much, but I think we've seen some athletically challenged guys succeed recently.
    I think Chuck was/is a little more mobile than him, but if he's 60% Jon Brockman, 15% Nikola Pekovic, 10% Zaza, 10% Luke Harangody and 5% Aaron Gray that might be good enough to justify signing him to a long-term low risk deal.

I would wait to see how well he does against proven NBA players in practice and pre-season games, though.

#35 HMMMHMM, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  16. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

He looks a whole lot better then olbrecht in 1 st 2 games. But he will have to prove self at rgv ...

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Cooley is a prospect I hoped Morey would buy a late 2nd rounder for, and I predicted he'll be the best player in our SL undraftee's a few days ago.

We should sign him to ungaranteed long term minimum deal if possible. He's one of the all-time top rebounders per 40 minutes pace adjusted in NCAA history. I think he played OK defense in SL and looks quick for a player his size.

His combine measurement could be wrong, since he has another measurement shortly after and maybe taller and longer than the record shows.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unless you want to cut Smith you can't sign him.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

Not sure there's roster room for him right now, but I like his motor.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If he keeps playing well, yes. Absolutely he should be signed. It's not even debatable. He plays harder than Greg Smith...Tim Olbrecht isn't anything special so far...You have TJones and Dmo at the four...Any given night one of them could be off or one could just not pan out quite right..

Also, a big guy could easily get injured or be traded at some point.

You absolutely consider signing a guy like Cooley because you know what he's bringing to the game when he gets in. You know he can at least contribute in some way and provide some value in some form.