1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Which turned out to be a good decision.

2. Sanity2disChaos

Are you serious!Half the fans in Houston knew nothing about Gortat until Morey claimed him as the next big thing! He pushed hard enough maybe not finacially (he is smart enough not to make a stupid deal, no matter who it is) but in every other aspect. As for Bosh he totally wanted him as most of everybody else in Houston at that time. Marketing (= Money) had nothing to do with wanting to sign Bosh, he saw a need and went for the player he felt could fill it. Period.

Money is not a problem to a team thats Global .....i.e. The "Rockets"

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well Orlando matched in the end, but if DM really wanted the guy he could have made a better offer.

I thin that DM plays it safe, he takes little risks......

Sometimes you got to dig your heels in and swing for the fences.

Jerry West style.

Really?

Then why do they scramble every year to dive under the Lux taxline? Or shy away from taking on bad contracts like Elton Brands?

I mean, if money is no object.......

DD

4. Sanity2disChaos

Its called spending money the smart way (on a player worth max money) or just being MC Hammer stupid with your money....

your crazy if you think Les A. pockets arent deep....and I recall Les giving Morey the green light to resign a few players (Lowry/Scola) no matter what the cost.....DEEP POCKETS!

5. DaDakota

Don't buy the hype, did you see the article that talked about Les losing like 35% of his wealth last year?

Mark Cuban has deep pockets.

Les Alexander is no Mark Cuban as far as $$$$ goes.

DD

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, a GM can only do so much. At the end of the day its on the coach to properly utilize the talent we have and the players to actually perform.

7. Sanity2disChaos

Well what a difference a year makes....because he just gave those two players pretty decent contracts!

Plus im sure he has many accounts over seas, with plenty of green backs stuffed in large vaults!!

8. DaDakota

He did not give them anything the Rockets organization gave them those contracts, and they can afford it because they made HUGE $$$ in the last two years with Yao and Tmac being out and their salaries mostly covered by insurance.

DD

9. redao

redao Member

When can you say "a GM can only do so much"?

Only after
    1. get an all star on the team.
    2. get healthy players to play the game.
    3. get bulldog players with heart, not nice soft whites.

Morey did none of these. He has a ton to do or at least don't trade Ariza for nothing. Don't trade 4th quarter performer Landry for 4th quarter Martin.
    No coach can do anything with this crippled roster.

10. bloop

bloop Member

couple of things:

1) Jay is right that in a league where the best "moves" of the past decade have been corrupt **** that defies logic like Pau to the Lakers, Garnett to the Celtics and Lebron to the Heat there's a limit to what a GM can do with numbers. Those moves didn't even make mathematical sense nor fit any model of efficient competition. Basically it's like he's Jack Welch building a team logically meanwhile other guys are out there like Don Corleone outside the lines.

2) You can't really build a championship team... there are too many variables like Stern and the bounce of the ball any particular game... the best you can do is build a contender. If someone breaks a foot or decides to quit on the team it's not really on the GM. You can argue that in the past 5 years Morey has assembled 2 legit contenders.

3) Morey is what he is. Les brought him in to build a contender cheaper than conventionally possible and the fans didn't b**** about it then so why b**** about it now. According to Morey's panel the most profitable time for an owner is when the team is borderline contender so I'd guess Les is very happy with his investment in Morey in general.

4) Like making money using advanced mathematical techniques via derivatives etc, Morey has tended to use a bunch of hedged smaller moves rather than 1 risky blockbuster move. The biggest $$ thing he's done was move Tmac which was unloading a large contract. Guys like Lowry, Miller are still small potatoes. All you all expecting him to make a huge splash like getting Bosh or selling Yao aren't going to see **** like that happen.

5) At this point it's on Adelman more than on Morey. Martin, Miller are Adelmans' guys. There's no question that there's talent on this team to win the problem is execution, motivation and tactics which is on the coach not the GM.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sanity2disChaos

you know what I ment, ofcourse HE didnt sign the check or anything but he had a large part as a GM in giving the deals the ok. As for the money you are referring to from T-Macless and Yao,that money is not profit from a business standpoint but team money as it was invested in other players and will continue to be in the future. But i digrese......on to the next one.Good day.

**My point is Morey knew,money is not an issue and expect change.....Thank you and good night!

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A lot of people overrate our players. I never felt that we were a contender,even if Yao didn't get this latest injury. DM is a good GM,but you can't win without health,star power and team work.

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think everyone is over-reacting TOO much at this point. Even with this 1-6 start, i still think we're a 50+ win team.

The only games we've lost that we shouldn't have was the GS and Washington games. Every year, every team has let down losses. But i didn't expect us to beat LA, DEN, SA, or NO to start the year.

Hell... the HEAT and MAGIC blew 22 and 18 point leads in the 2nd half to LOSE the games this week!

I think RA is still trying too hard to find a rotation that works at the 5. He's trying to find minutes for Hill and Miller at the 5. We've been hit (once again) with the injury bug. Fortunately its at the beginning of the season rather than later.

Our 2 PG's (Brooks n Lowry) from last year have gotten off to a horrible start so far. Lowry's only played in 2 games and has looked VERY rusty.

How about we get off of DM's back and let him do what he's doing. This has been the best assembly of players that we've had since the Hakeem days. Morey has done what he could after he was left with a bunch of crap players and even crappier contracts.

Hit the PANIC button when we hit the all-star break and we're like 10games under .500. Until then, just chill out!

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

This post sums up DM .

Face the truth guys.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Superstars are so easy to pick up. Morey doesn't want one because the stats don't support it. :rolleyes:

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. Morey says the same. Superstars simply don't grow on trees.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

How can you have a grade without results? I dont see the big trade that was his signature yet. His inability to make thus far is a incomplete grade though. Which eventually becomes an F if he fails to complete a roster that can compete.

18. Danbury

Danbury Member

I thought to myself this morning, "So the Rockets are 1-6. I bet Clutchfans is in meltdown mode... I should avoid it." Out of morbid curiosity, here I am and I was 100% right. "Morey is overrated, Fire Adelman, Blow it up!!"

All of this is ridiculous at this point in the season. So we're 1 and 6. Big Deal! The Rockets have 75 more games to play. If the ball had bounced their way a few more times, they would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-2 and you'd all be saying how Morey is a genious and Adelman is a great coach under any circumstances.

Seriously, Cool off people.

19. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I don't think this is true at all. What, specifically, were these grand-slam offers we had on the table that Morey refused because he doesn't like blockbusters? The only one I can think of was at the deadline last year. Rumor had it that Phoenix had offered us Amare, but we wanted the deal contingent on him passing a physical, and Phoenix refused. Given his health history, taking on a max contract sight-unseen would have been really dumb. There's a difference between risky and dumb.

The reason we are struggling to acquire a superstar is that the teams that own them rarely let them go, not because our GM has some sort of aversion to big trades. Until the opportunity to get a star or a top draft choice becomes available, our front office is doing exactly what it should be: accumulating assets and value in a series of small moves that will enable them to make the big move when they get the chance. I'm as upset about the start as anyone, but we shouldn't make a move unless it makes the Rockets better.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I have never overrated Morey. I have said that he is just a rookie GM, far from a God GM. But, I got attacked by fans here all the time. Reality is a reality.