1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... Just ignore everyone who disagrees! Are you like 15 years old ?

2. dmoneybangbang

So Morey doesn't answer to Les?

So JVG lied when he says Morey doesn't mettle in coaching and merely provides the data?

So you just ASSume everything is Morey's decision?

Your argument is based on assumptions that aren t correct.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I feel like this thread is slowly becoming life/Rockets according to Pizza, so I'll leave you with this. I think it's human nature to want things to be black and white, to say Mac was a bad coach, or to have one person to blame for failure. The truth is much more complicated than that. The Rockets failed and succeeded doing almost the same thing. We learn early on that if you do something, then do it over again the exact same way you should get the exact same result. I can say, from my suffering in science this is not true. Ultimately, the failure is on everyone, albeit not equally. Who has the heaviest burden? I'd buy into that being on Morey and Les. But who gave us a chance to succeed in the first place? Those same two gentlemen. I hope this team (or another very different version of it) comes back composed and ready to win. If past success is a predictor of anything down the road, I can't help but be optimistic.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is the problem with the fans on here- "whose fkn fault is it?"

well.....

-The coaches didn't conduct a productive training camp
    -Harden came into camp out of shape
    -SOMEONE didn't forsee that the league would figure out how to guard the Rockets offense easily. My guess is it was Morey & his group that control the system or at least heavily influence it.
    -Howard was a complete drama queen on and off the court (going public about his demands to get the ball in the post & essentially seeking a trade)
    -Harden and Howard deserve blame TOGETHER by not gaining chemistry in 3 years.
    -Ariza shot the ball like crap this year
    -Beverley didn't improve his play making skills
    -Lawson was a bust
    -100 million dollars probably wasn't enough for Les to have spent (according to DD)
    -etc. etc. etc.

This was a group F-$% up this year. The team as a whole really screwed the pouch. Blaming one single person here is pointless. You are just looking for a scapegoat. In reality its a team game, and team (organization) is taking the hit. It might have cost them greatly for their future. Could have cost them serious consideration from Durant, and even B level free agents like Horford, or Conley. It will cost them ticket sales next year most likely. It will hurt their brand internationally.

Alot of people contributed to the downfall of the Rockets this year, and ALOT of people & the brand itself will likely suffer for years as an outcome.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Morey's going to be fired if he loses out on the Durant lottery and the team still performs like an 8th seed next year.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well if they lose out on top name free agents, they may be lucky to be the 8th seed next year. There's not much talent on this roster going into next season after Harden. Most of it is young guys with potential, but I'm not expecting Capela, McDaniels, Harrell, and Dekker to suddenly become up and coming stars overnight.

It's why I keep saying maybe they need to just bite the bullet and go into tank mode for a few years. Obviously you don't commit to that til after July when you've had a chance to talk to these free agents. But I'd much rather they suck for 2-3 seasons and stockpile good young talent via the draft than to spin their wheels trying to win 45 games every year with Harden and a bunch of mediocre role players.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

8. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Morey needs to find better 3&D guys. Ariza, Beverly and Brewer are overrated AF, I doubt Beverly was ever a good defender in his entire career.

playing with effort =/= playing smart defense and being an effective team defender.

Same thing goes for Brewer.

Ariza was OK I guess, but never was an elite defender. Not once selected for all defensive team, and his career defensive stats are mediocre at best. The problem is Ariza's D is regressing from OK to barely average.

Keep Bev as back-up PG and let Ariza and Brewer go. They can't defend nor shoot at this point.

9. Mr. Dark

Mr. Dark New Member

What the hell does having "twitter followers" have to do with whether an article is good or not??? That article was just as valid as virtually every other article written concerning this team's failure and Morey.

The media has no "agenda" against the Rockets...they are stating the obvious. Some Rockets' fans are too delusional to see it themselves.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

This year Lawson killed Morey, but he is still the GM I would want for the Rockets. If he plays to the stats of pre-Rockets Lawson, Rockets would be in great hand. Instead, we got the worst PG ever for the Rockets.

11. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Probably one of the worst decisions Morey has ever made

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

It's not a random occurrence when Charlie Palilo asked Morey in his interview on Friday "Does a better balance need to be struck with the new coach and what he wants to do, versus the Rockets organization's philosophy and what the Rockets organization wants to do?"

Some of you are living in a fantasy Morey land if you don't understand why that question was asked. Pizza Da Hut can't fathom how Morey is the very antithesis of of GM that affords a coach autonomy.

1 person likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Great post but you just put the tip in. What did Morey say?

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, how some people remain so out of touch is a mystery. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

He was vague and even admitted his answer was vague. Said " we just want to get the best guy, I know that's vague." "We don't have a prescription or a proscription, it's not like we have an X or a Y" (YEAH RIGHT!!! Pffft) but then he says we have some longterm players that they brought in and they want a coach that will fit with those players, which directly contradicts what he just said, because they brought players in around a system and then they are going to get a coach to fit around those players...who were brought in to implement a system.... So Morey has learned nothing. He was very boastful of their previous coaches but ignores how JVG and Adelman left on contentious terms, butting heads with the Rockets core organization. Those were the only 2 good coaches. Morey then hires McHale, Figure Head Coach with no plays, system or philosophy, who won't butt heads with the back seat driving core philosophy. Kelvin didn't like it, similar to JVG and Adelman, so he left. But Morey twisted the last 10 years to boast how we are one of the most winningest teams. So by his own measure, Morey is clearly satisfied with winning more games than losing, not truly contending.

Earlier he kept saying they want to get the "right" coach. By that again it alludes to him contradicting his innocent claim that they have no "prescriptions or proscriptions."

The majority of the interview was Classic Morey-Speak. Vague, lots of words and little to no substance and tons of patting himself on the back. The only clue that Charlie struck a nerve with that pointed question was that Morey got a little jittery and nervous in his speech for a few seconds and said "yeah that's a fair point."

The interview is on the Palilo / 790 website.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What did Morey say?

Remember when KJ was put in to hack, and that came from the front office?

Morey has to step away from the bench.

DD