1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we overrate Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Nov 10, 2010.

?

Do we overrate Morey?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. dmoneybangbang

^^A perfect example of the narratives that have become gospel. It's amazing such ignorance exists.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey is not all he is cracked up to be, he undervalues chemistry, he undervalues coaching, he forces good coaches to leave because he wants to put his own assistant coaches on his staff.

If we don't bring in a basketball guy above him or equal to him, we will continue to tread water until he is gone, or understands the human condition of people a lot more than spread****s.

DD

3. dmoneybangbang

More narrative nonsense. No one was talking about chemistry before Howard come on board.

JVG has repeatedly said Morey simply provides the information and its up to the coaches to use it.

It's sad people have to resort to being dishonest.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

^ I think we're at the point where Clutch needs to shut this guy down again, at least temporarily.

5. DaDakota

Because I speak the truth that people find uncomfortable?

The points I made are accurate and in the right thread and context, don't be a passive aggressive baby.

It is fine if you disagree, but your post adds nothing to the thread or discussion.

DD

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

You're back to being a diarrhea poster. Your posts have no substance and are ridiculously misleading and inaccurate. My post added no value to the discussion, while your posts add NEGATIVE value to the discussion.

Your posting habits are analogous to Trevor Ariza shooting threes. Crappy quality with unfortunately a lot of volume.

1 person likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Being passionate is one thing, creating narratives and being dishonest is something else.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

See, this claim seems really baseless to me. Let me go point by point.

He doesn't value chemistry: Instantly this idea is flawed. He kept the band together this year when he really shouldn't have. The will-they won't-they Ross and Rachael like season this team had is purely because of the idea that preservation of chemistry was important. Morey will fiddle, sure, but honestly he didn't do much of that this year, and by far this was the worst year we had in quite some time.

He undervalues coaching: this idea stems from a series of misquotes and misunderstanding of statistics. The common quote around here is Morey saying coaching doesn't matter. The question is what is the context of said quote. Is he talking about late game situations, free throw shooting, coaching at large? Nobody every offers that up. What we can say is that McHale was brought in here to tool big men for our roster. Adelman was brought in because Les wanted a better offensive style of basketball. A lot of decisions are spearheaded by multiple needs/desires, and to say Morey just picked names out a of a hat, or didn't value the input from coaching is sad. He wouldn't be effective at his job (and reach the WCF last year in spite of a myriad of injuries) if he didn't value coaching.

"he forces good coaches to leave because he wants to put his own assistant coaches on his staff." This is an Adelman jab if I ever saw one. I could say look at all the amazing work Adelman did when he left us, but I won't... Ok I just did. RA did a good job when he was here, but it's not like he deserved a medal or something. He was good, and Morey wants/wanted Finch on a path to becoming a HC. I can't blame Morey for setting a certain tone for the team. Does that mean he made the wrong decision? I don't think there is enough evidence there to support your idea. You are suggesting an experiment with no control, and that in itself is a dangerous game to play.

Overall, DD you are oversimplifying the issues at hand. You and I agree on coaching in a lot of ways (Shane Battier, Harden needs someone to call him on things, overall improvement of team defense). I think once Morey finds a coach with a better fit we are in business. If the team is winning, I also don't see Morey fiddling with the roster much from here on out. Sometimes you have to let a Chandler Parsons walk if the asking price is way too high. It's the cost of doing business. If you want the flip side of that, look at the Lakers. They overvalue chemistry and loyalty and look what it's gotten them recently. Paying Kobe essentially $2 mil for every win they got last season is not my cup of tea.

Ultimately, Morey and the Rockets need to stop playing safe. You and I agree there too. They need to set a tone this offseason, bring in the pieces to win, and then ship out anyone who doesn't buy into said system even if that means trading Harden. Do you trade for pennies on the dollar? No, but 50 cents on the dollar ain't bad for dead weight.

9. DaDakota

Ah, you mean the guy that replaced Parsons for a cheaper contract that Morey brought in?

Yes, we Over value Morey - what has he done to deserve such praise? He has had as many misses as hits, and the team he put together is an abject failure, he should be held accountable.

You can't toss your hands up when you are the guy in charge, this is his mess, his philosophy, his failure.

DD

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That dude belongs on ignore, he's a noob and has nothing better to do than make personal insults.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Number 2 in the west, WCF, hard fought series against the warriors in spite of a myriad of injuries. All that was last year. The transition from Mac and Yao to H&H was without tanking too. That is worth something as well. For once, Morey treated a team not like assets and look what happened. I'm all back on board the asset train.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This. I agree with both this and in a way I agree with DD in some of his criticism.

However DD goes off the rails more times than not with providing no substance or resolution with the b****ing and problem vomiting.

Okay DD has a problem, and wants to b****... whats the solution to the problem???... He can NEVER provide it. Even with Morey... what's his solution? Has he ever said he needs to be fired, and then provided us with a solution at the GM position? And I'm not asking for him to say that Pat Riley is better... of course Pat Riley, Danny Ainge, etc. are better GM's. That's not the point... what's the solution to your problem? Its all b****ing and complaining with no solutions.

But in the end, DD has some good points. Yes, Morey produced a system that the entire NBA figured out how to defend overnight & refused to forsee & make a coaching change this Summer. Yes Morey is the guy who trusted questionable personalities to mesh year over year. Yes, Morey is the GM who got violated in the Dwight negotiations to allow for Parsons to become a free agent early & forced them to go with a lesser player in Ariza. But that doesn't change the fact that Morey still has a fully fledged resume that probably makes him the most qualified candidate to do what needs to be done for this team to regroup.

DD continues to leave out the positives that remove truly objective analysis, and can't provide realistic solutions because then if he did his complaining wouldn't be cathartic. He just wants to complain. b****ing and complaining doesn't solve problems DD.

#252 dobro1229, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The answer to the OP's question is yeah... we probably DID overrate Morey. The guy is human and made/makes mistakes.

But the main question to be answered is does he need to be fired? and if you say YES, then you absolutely 100% have to have a solution to that problem you think you are solving.

Who is going to be the GM of the Houston Rockets who is more qualified and has a better chance of getting done what needs to be done for the Rockets to regroup??? Oh and that GM has to actually be available... not F-ing Pat Riley, or Danny Ainge, or RC Buford. We all should know they have better GM's but they aren't available.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Stick your head in the sand and ignore reality, hombre. McHale was a Figurehead Coach. That was the well known consensus, out in the open and uncontested. A "Players Coach" was the kindest of stretches. A Clapper. JBB is more of the same. It was admitted, that we don't really have any plays, that we just run Morey's analytic system. It's painfully obvious when we get out coached against halfway decent real coaches, or if we have to do something like inbound the ball in the half court.

Touché on being amazed by ignorance. Willful ignorance.

Morey needs to stay in his lane and not discourage real coaches from coming here. Real coaches demand autonomy and the ability to do their job without algorithms standing in their way.

16. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

DM is above average in the league for sure, but no where near the best, look at how many 50 win season we had and how many spurs have, you would know what's the best GM should look like

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

So whos fkn fault is it?

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

In the same breath you criticize Morey as you do proclaim that coaches need autonomy? Seriously? I'll ignore the fact that most of your rant is unconfirmed conjecture, and focus only on this statement. You can't give a coach complete autonomy, because, then you have what Doc Rivers and the clips have. Nobody wants that. GMs guide the coaches, and coaches fit their style to a GM's system. That's why the GM is above the coach. Ultimately the GM has the power of veto. That system works.

Now, if what you're saying is that coaches need more liberty in general, then I agree. But your statement overall troubles me, because it fundamentally has issues in describing what analytics is. Analytics doesn't replace scouting, it doesn't replace coaching, it enhances it. It's a conversation starter, not a thesis. Maybe McHale was too much of a figure head, I don't think either you or I actually have concrete evidence of that, but that shows he was a flawed coach. The Rockets do need a coach that can mesh between Harden and Morey, but to assume the answer to that is a coach that has authority over both is crazy. To assume that some algorithm is what drives the rockets offense is comical. It drives shot selection, sure, but it doesn't drive player movement, player abilities to get open without the ball, and overall hustle to make plays. Analytics doesn't drive players to slouch on defense either. Coaches do that, especially ones who don't sit players that don't buy in.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Of all of criticism Morey is rightfully getting, these shouldn't be reasons
    If he didn't value chemistry, he wouldn't have retained the same roster as last year. And let's not act like McHale was a good coach.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Exactly. It was right before his daughter passed that I turned to my girlfriend and said that they should fire Mac. After everything with his daughter, and bouncing back from all the injuries we found ourselves 2nd in the west and a real chance it winning it all. It was a real perfect storm of events to keep McHale as coach as long as we did (I hate wording it that way because I don't wish what he went through with his daughter on anyone. I just can't word it any better.)