1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we need another PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

with Scola on board and Chuck just confirmed to be re-signed with the Rox, do we need another PF? imo, we still need a starting caliber PF who can contend the likes of Duncan/Boozer/... Scola hasn't prove anything in the NBA and Chuck just too small even with his hassle. We all know Rafer/JL3/Reed/Sura are going to be traded soon, and with Morey's ability to turn nothing into something I hope we can improve the 4 spot before trainning camp. I think Sura's expiring contract plus the needs of point guard in this off season's market can get us players like Camby or Gooden if Les willing to take back those contracts. with all the great moves in this summer, I really hope we can find the final piece and win it all this year. imaging this, we might see the Jazz in the first round again and we'd have trouble with Boozer again. if we advance to 2nd round we might see Dirk or Amare and if we're lucky and get into WCF, Duncan's waiting for Chuck/Scola. IF we go to the Final? Chuck/Scola might have to deal KG. do you have confidence in Chuck/Scola competing those PFs in the playoff? we're in win now mode and I really hope Morey can turn Sura's expiring contract + our surplus guards like Rafer/Head/Snyder/JL3 into a starting PF and win it all this year!

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Do we need another PF? Yes!

We need a solid backup for Scola -- unless Butler is able to play backup 4 and 5 effectively. He is big, active and quick but very inexperienced.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes and no......

Do we need one? No....

Would we like to add one for some unecessary pieces like Alston - Yes.

DD

4. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

Will we get the starting PF names that are thrown about here for a what should be a second string PG that even we don't want? No.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Like DD said, it would be nice to trade one of our PGs for a diamond in the rough PF - somebody like Raja Bell before his breakout with the Suns.

6. zong

zong Member

Yes, we need a big PF who can guard Duncan and Boozer, the PFs we have right now are not very strong for Duncan, we can not use Yao for Duncan too much. If we can get someone like Jeff Foster or Evens, we can win it all this year.

7. jason_long

jason_long Member

Yes, Yes, Yes, we need another PF.
    The best scenario is obtain a decent PF (60-90M/year contract)
    by trading our guards, any combination of Head, Sura, JL III, and MJ.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Do we need another thread on this? NO

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree.

10. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Sure we do ... lol ... we're bored, with nothing happening, while Boston gets KG for nothing but scrubs and draft picks. Too bad we're in the same division, or Morey might have been able to make an offer they would have listened to.

So, we want to know what we'll get in return for Sura, Alston, Head, Reed, Snyder, JL3, Novak, Landry, etc.

If we were somehow able to offer a deal that SAC can't refuse for Artest, then it would be the off-season I've hoped for. I think Artest is about to develop into the player everyone's wanted him to be, and if we had him, I believe we could take it all. I'd take that over any PF we could land. But, the Maloofs probably will never let that happen, unless we could take Bibby with him, and we couldn't do that without trading James, which would be pretty uncool, after we went after him like we did.

I think we're all curious how Morey will upgrade our current talent. The other moves have been pretty out of the blue, except for Francis, James and Wells.

But, dang ... we've got 20 players, if we count Deke and Hayes. Six or Seven will have to be moved out for 1 or 2 upgrades. I'd hate to see us just cut them, and to be honest, outside of JL3 probably going to NO, I don't think any of us have a clue which way Morey is going.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

No, I think Scola is going to be a beast under the boards. No need to bring on a new PF. We should however dump salary anyway we can to get under the cap and trim our roster.

12. pillage

pillage Member

Excess guards for Foster.

PG - Francis, James, Brooks
    SG - Bonzi, Head
    SF - T-Mac, Battier
    PF - Foster, Scola, Hayes
    C - Yao, Butler

D-League - Novak, Landry, don't care

Asst Coach - Deke

I'd prefer Deke over Hayes, so Deke could be backup C and Butler could play third string PF and C. But I guess that's not how its going down.

Like I said, lets get Foster.

13. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

There is no way les is paying a 60-90mil contract to anyone other than Yao and Mac. And if you meant 6-9mil per year that is still out of the price range we would only be looking in the get 2-4.5 per year price range.

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

There's a reason why Duncan and Garnett became to great and thats because virtually nobody can guard them well except each other, so that's the key thing. I keep hearing people say8ing 'We need a PF to guard the Duncans and Boozers of the Western conferance' but there are few PFs who can effectively guard these guys without fouling out.

15. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

16. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

I say we find a way to get Nick Collison or Chris Wilcox for Rafer, Seattle has an overload at the 4!!

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Boston did not give up scrubs. They gave up quite a few good, talented, and most importantly, young players. They still made out like bandits though.

18. AggieRocketFan96

If a guy just above scrub level (Foster) is starting ahead of Scola that would signal a very disappointing lineup. Even if Scola hasn't proven himself in the NBA, I'm betting he is much better in all facets than Foster. Scola was brought in to be the starting PF for the Rockets. With so much offensive firepower at the other positions and deeper bench, I don't think the Rox necessarily need a starting caliber PF, just one that can bang inside, grab rebounds, and play solid defense...scoring can be secondary.

19. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

i think we might need another backup centre. Even if Mutombo signs with us again, we need another big man to play as the second/third string centre and could take Mutombo's place after Mutombo retires.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Enough offense can be the best defense -- The Fense Sitter ;)