1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do We Need A New Backup C?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, Oct 14, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think drafting needs to be focused on Talent Tier #1, Fit #2, Personality/character/Etc. #3.

If the Rockets draft talent tier doesn't have the fit you want, you dont leave better talent on the table just to find that fit. However if you have two players in the same talent tier that are a better fit for your team(Center), you should probably go with the player that fits better on your team.

It has yet to be seen, but based on what we know there really isn't that many true centers projected to be in this years draft class anyways. I guess its just a wait and see approach.

Im not in love with Small ball myself, but if you asked me with this team if I would rather see small ball with White, Jones, Parsons, Lamb, Lin or implementing a trash backup like Fesenko with Jones, Parsons, Lamb, Lin its an easy choice for me. Play small and see what you got with the higher level talent players you already have in a small ball uptempo style of game which is usually more fun to watch anyways.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Eddy Curry looked good for the Spurs

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Undrafted players work with the Spurs. All the time. They can make it work with Curry also.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Mid round picks are a gamble....we had 3. Why not use one of the 3 picks to take a gamble on need...cough*Sullinger*cough.

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we really need a trade..for a backup C of course.

6. dobro1229

Please. Had the Rockets picked Sullinger, Clutchfans would have gone crazy because "he's naturally a 4" because he's not a legit 7 foot.

That being said, I would have loved to pick Sullinger. He's easily the best low post scorer in last years draft, and had it not been for his red-flag injury report he should have gone in the top 5.

7. dobro1229

Really.... what kind of trade do you think is out there for a center that can make an impact where the Rockets wont have to give up valuable assets?

Is anyone really wanting to give up a 1st round pick just to win 4 or 5 more games this season???? Because thats something the Rockets will probably have to give up to get that kind of talent. Most "cheap" solutions wont give you the quality of center that will make any more of an impact than someone like Greg Smith would.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Undersized and a constant threat of needing MD attention...the perfect pick for us. Then we wouldn't have this tread nor all the where's White threads.

While i might not waste my lone pick, I'd rather take a risk there with 1 of the 3 and fill a need vs drafting someone who's position is already full.

9. Grigori

Grigori Member

Just play Jones at C.

10. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I really believe that Houston needs to sign Greg Oden. He's only 24. And still has a pretty good upside.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Oden said he'd take the year off and attempt a comeback next year fully healthy.

12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Why not tank using Harreslon or Fesenko or another young big.

13. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Mehmet Okur, so we can have the Turkish Towers.

(I wish, even though he was on the Jazz, exploited Yao in the playoffs, and acted like he got shot every time he got pushed around).