1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Spurs piss anyone else off?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LelWestbrick, Dec 28, 2012.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I hate the Spurs and Fagvricks, the king of Texas should only be the Rockets.. So far red nation has not look very good against them, which pisses me off to the extreme...

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No duncan was 4th.

3. what

what Member

bwahahahahahah

The king of texas is the cowboys.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As a rule, I am bothered by sports cities where fans expect victory and are genuinely shocked then they don't get it. I think because of the lack of other pro sports teams, the fans only understand the Spurs and don't have much else to bring to a conversation. That's my issue with the Spurs, mostly.

I don't buy in to the idea that I need to like them because they're good. Respect I can handle. But there's nothing wrong with a nice rivalry with a spoiled fanbase.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

[​IMG]

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'm a native Houstonian and I resent the hell out of the Spurs and Cowboys like the rest of us.

There is this block of about 10 million people who represent metropolitan Houston and then all the little peripheral towns (i.e. Sugar Land, Katy, etc.), and then the entire rest of Texas belongs to non-Houston sports teams. It ain't right.

It started when Warren Moon was throwing for the Oilers. There was limited interest in him outside of Houston because he was black, and at the time, there was a stigma about black quarterbacks not being cerebral enough for the position--especially in more rural parts of Texas.

Even the Texans are now a dramatically better football team than the Cowboys and they still get no love.

Then we have stuff like the television franchising debacle that basically assured that the hill country and all areas west of Houston was Spurs country, or the fact that most of central Texas feels their sports "base" is covered just with UT football, etc. etc.

Long story short, Houston sports are not all that popular in Texas outside of Houston, and I resent the hell out of it. I don't care if they're bandwagon fans, I just want more fans of Houston sports teams in general. More fans, more exposure. Let's grow this thing.

7. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

I used to hate the Spurs when they had the dirtiest player in the NBA, Bowen. Now I'm cool with them.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Oh yeah, and let's not forget that even if there wasn't a heated division rivalry in place with the Rockets, NBA fans in general still have the San Antonio Spurs to thank for almost single-handedly turning pro basketball into soccer and making anti-flopping rules a necessity.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and (oh god especially) Manu Ginobili: We appreciate the solid decade of work you put in pretending to get hit and faking injuries after contact. Without your tireless efforts to make NBA basketball so bad, so unwatchable, it never would have gotten better.

Sincere <3 from all hoops fans to the three of you.

9. tofu--

tofu-- Member

That's disgusting.

Unflavored, overdone, goopy cement-like instant oatmeal cooked in tap water for me, THANK YOU.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Flailed my arms and head around wildly like I had been fouled after I read this post.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't hate them, but it is crazy how effective they've been for a such a long stretch of time.

Heck, back when Duncan, Parker and Ginobili won their 2002-2003 NBA title, a lot of our guys on the Rockets roster were preteen's and teens; D-Mo was 12yrs old, Jones was 10yrs old, Smith was 11yrs old, Harden was 13yrs old, and Parsons was 14yrs old! :eek:

12. CertifiedTroll

I like San Antonio this year, I disliked them in the past though.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The spurs and their fans have had it too good these last 13 years. I wish them a long period of bad play.

14. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Manu is one of the biggest floppers in the NBA and the Spurs as a team flop a ton.

Timmy's "OMG WHAT?" face every time he's called for a damn foul.
    [​IMG]

Every time Duncan gets a foul it's somehow given to a nearby teammate to keep Timmy out of foul trouble. Seen it happen a ton over the years and it annoys me.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hating on the Spurs because the Rockets aren't the best team in Texas or because their fans are stupid sounds ridiculous to me.

And the poster above saying they complain after every call... there are teams that are FAR worse. The Spurs to me, are the most professional and have the best sportsmanship when they are on the court. Heck, they even help up Lin when he falls down.

16. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

What an onslaught of dumb. Nothing could be more trite than ignoring the cheap shot that put a player on the ground in the first place, in order to hone in on some false "sportsmanship" that happens after they are. Grow some eyeballs.

Or just borrow his:

[​IMG]

Pictured: The NBA's greatest sportsman and part-time spokesperson for Fair Play Awareness.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Really?

You think that way?

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Hate'em...SA gets no love from me.

They've had it good too long. Jealousy is a hell of a drug. :mad:

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

The fans =/= the organization itself

20. SeabrookMiglla

i like the spurs, but i dont like the mavs.