1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets want to deal with this?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMHO, Arvydas and Ming are from two different eras. There was not nearly as much of an International information flow when Sabonis was drafted (computers/INet/TV). We both know China tries to keep a closed society, but there were millions of Chinese watching the Nuggets vs Dallas this past season. And Wang & Bateer are not nearly as popular as Yao.

Again, we know it's a minority opinion but I feel it's the right one not only for the Roclets but the NBA as well.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't understand the concern.

Who cares what he does with his money? imo, this is just a NY article trying to scare 6 teams into passing on Ming or to trade him for Camby and the #7.

You must take Ming with your pick, whether he will play for you or not. Stern will handle the rest for you, should you have to trade him. You merely hold Ming hostage with your pick, until Stern gets you a blockbuster trade, and no way would I accept any of the Knick's trash for Ming.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

What he does with his money isnt anyone's concern...the concern is that there are 4 Chinese organizations that apparently have to "ok" the contract and depending on who takes him etc, there could be issues...as far as it being a NY article trying to scare other teams...I would agree if it came from the NY Post or Daily News...but the NY Times isnt a tabloid and is not a "homer" newspaper believe it or not

That being said...i agree that you really have to take him and at worst, you trade him for a boatload to a place that the Chinese gov't will allow him to play

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I wonder if all of this will frustrate Ming enough that he will say "forget you China" and become an american. Of course this means there will never be another Chinese baller coming over here again.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ming can not just become an American. China has to allow him to leave which they will not do. Since we have diplomatic relations with China, there is no automatic asylum like we have for Cubans.

6. NJRocket

If you think about it...aside from the "kickbacks" (which dont really concern anyone but Ming himself), the Chinese gov't and the other 3 agencies that have to give their stamp of approval on Ming's deal are really just acting as agents. It's really no different than a superstar coming out and declaring for the draft but saying 'I really dont see myself playing for Denver so if they draft me, I hope they trade me.' Actually, the situation is, in a way, similar to Stevie's with Vancouver (although Steve never came out before the draft and said he woudn't play there...or at least I dont remember him doing that).

If it's going to be ok for David Falk and these other agents to hold teams hostage and basically alter the balance of power by steering their clients in the same direction, then I don;t really see what the difference is.

I know that in previous posts, I've said screw China etc etc etc...but in reality, this is the way the NBA (and other pro sports) aer run these days.

7. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

HP, if Ming cannot come to terms with the team drafting him - how long until that team loses its rights to him? Can he then come back as a FA? Or come back another year to be drafted?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Forget about defections. The US wouldn't take any of them. If they were Cuban, maybe, but China is too important and would be too pissed off to mistreat that way. Bush would sooner pack all 3 on a plane back.

The Players Association will probably make a big stink. The NBA won't care what Ming does with his money but the NBAPA wants to make sure that none of its flock get screwed. That's what unions do. They want to avoid the precedent.

The biggest problem is the contract approval process. It looks like they will actually enforce their city preferencem which means Memphis, Houston, Denver, etc may as well not waste their pick. Holding out for China to change its mind or trading his rights to another team is not worth it. That undermines the fairness of the draft process -- though no more so than guys like Steve Francis who simply refuse to sign for some teams.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So you're saying that if Ming or any other player came over and said, look, I really hate my communist government, I feel like I am being oppressed and deserve more freedoms as a human being, our government would say that it's too bad?? Does that seem screwed up to anyone else?

10. NJRocket

It is screwed up....thats why we are happy to be Americans

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a bunch of posturing. Take Ming. China wants Ming to be a superstar - the rest is just details. They'll work a deal.

12. knifejc

knifejc Member

If I was Yao i wouldn't want to play in the NBA with those kinda stipulations(Although it sounds like he doesn't have choise in the matter) He has to give up 50% of his pre-tax income and then he has to share the other 50% with his teammates what's left for him?

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

so what if Toronto traded up for Ming? :) :)

What's Canada's stance on the issue?

Okay, I know it would never happen...

14. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Just curious, but isn't that the whole concept of communism, that individuals make money for the state which in turn reallocates it to everyone for the greater good? And isn't China a communist country?

None of the above should be terribly surprising, even if it is way out there for us Americans.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I don't know how much the #1 pick will receive this year, but let's say $3M. The Chinese Bandits get $1.5M. Then, Ming has to divide the remainding $1.5 by 15 (12 players and 3 coaches -- unless they include trainers etc. as teammates). That means Ming is making $100,000. Then our government takes its cut, leaving Ming with about $75,000 spendable dollars.

Heck, even Oscar Torres makes more than that! Of course, Les could make it more palatable by loaning him a stretch limo and allowing him to stay as a guest in one of his furnished, fully lardered townhomes. That would help some, but he couldn't afford a posse or gold jewelry or dancers or other NBA trappings. He would be stuck at home twiddling his thumbs.

In all seriousness, if we get the chance, IMO we should draft Ming. The Red Chinese will allow him to play because they would suffer a tremendous PR black eye with no gain for their pain.

16. NJRocket

Good thought , however, the NBA doesn't allow the use of "soft" dollars by NBA teams. Remember, Stern made Rodman move out of Cuban's guesthouse.

17. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

jsdkf hfjd ;JKHFJd; JKASHD JASDFHIUWERB V

WERUIIUr kb ksdbfkjbs ......

...i won't start

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

the difference between Steve Francis or John Elway and Yao Ming is that Francis didn't have the commissioner of the league scheming along with him to put him on in a place that might not be in the best interests of the league as a whole.

I hope China uses David Stern up like a man uses a kleenex at his computer. and I hope Yao Ming is the beginning of the end of Stern.

depending on how long a team would keep Ming's draft rights, I agree with heyP.

if Ming's rights would revert back after just a year, then it wouldn't be worth it to draft him just to hold him hostage. however, if it was 3-5 years or more, it would be worth it. you'd have to put up with an S-load of whining from new york, stern and China. but in the end, you'd control the chips. someone else would have to compensate you handsomely for Ming.

none of this will happen, though. Ming will end up wherever Stern wants him. I don't think Stern will allow the lottery to proceed in such a manner as would allow any "undesirable" team to draft/hold hostage Ming.

question: hypothetically, if the lottery could ever be proven to be rigged, and if Stern could be proven to have had knowledge of it. . . could he face criminal charges?

19. NJRocket

he would end up being the best prison league commish that the corrections system ever knew

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Essentially, Ming cannot become a free agent while playing for another team or have some type of "legal impediment" to play in the NBA. Suffice it to say that he's not becoming a free agent.

Assuming the drafting team offers a "Required Tender," the have rights for one year under normal circumstances. However, when the player is under another contract or has some "legal impediment" preventing him from signing with the drafting team, the one yr clock *does not start* until Ming sends the drafting team notice that he is available to sign with that team and has no other contract or legal impediment interfering.

If Ming does not sign with the drafting team after saying he is available for negotiations, he does not come back as a free agent. He enters the draft, again, and the 2nd team gets rights for another year. Only after two years of refusing to sign a contract with "no legal impediments" when given a "Required Tender" does the player become a rookie free agent.

Suffice it to say, the drafting team can hold him hostage, and would take it to court if Stern ripped their rights away for the China govt refusing to allow Ming to sign. If China balks at the drafting team, Stern is going to have to negotiate a trade, imo.

That's why I started this goofy thread about What Would Stern Do" (WWSD) if Memphis got the pick.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32405

I wasn't just being silly. It is a real problem!!!