1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Rockets want to deal with this?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Apr 25, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if they get the chance...

THE GREAT "MOVING" WALL OF CHINA

Yao is expected to be the next great thing. At 7-foot-5, most league executives who talk about him haven't spoken so glowingly about a big man since Tim Duncan made his way to the league in 1997. Almost everyone believes he'll be the first or second player taken in the draft . . . but that is always subject to change.

Yao's team, the Shanghai Sharks, has given its blessing for Yao to come to America next season. The folks in Beijing, however, threw up significant roadblocks for Yao Wednesday.

The Shanghai Star reported today that the Sharks are seeking heavy compensation for Yao in return for his release. NBA teams are only eligible to pay $350,000 toward a buyout. The report also said that Yao will not hire a U.S. agent.

The New York Times goes even further, describing the financial restrictions China will put on Yao. Yao will be forced to turn over 50 percent of his pre-tax income derived from playing basketball and endorsements to the government. That's not all. Yao will be forced to share the other 50 percent with his coaches and teammates on the Sharks.

"Chinese athletes are different from those in the U.S.," Shanghai Sharks deputy general manager Li Yaomin told the Times. "American athletes are free."

That won't scare away NBA teams -- they could care less what he does with his money. But the NBA Players' Association is already saber rattling.

"What makes the Chinese government any different than an agent, who is only entitled to 4 percent?" executive director Billy Hunter told the Times. "If they are saying he's going to come on the condition that he sends half his money back, well, we would not recognize any written agreement to that effect. That does not work with the rules of the collective bargaining agreement."

What will scare away teams is the other restriction that China will put on Yao. Under China's new rules, obviously enacted with Yao in mind, he may not leave the country until any potential contract is approved by the Sharks, the local sports bureau, the registered Chinese agent AND the China Basketball Association.

If they don't like the team that drafted Yao, or if the NBA tries to do anything to help Yao keep some of his money, they can keep him in China.

That's downright scary for some. GM's were already a bit skiddish about Yao before all of this went down. Teams just can't afford to use a top 3 pick in the draft if China will make it difficult for him to actually play in the NBA.

2. NJRocket

To me, this is the first move by the Chinese in an attempt to choose where Ming plays next season...Stern should step up and not allow this guy into the league. He should stick it up China's a$$ before they do it to us.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

In a word: <b>NO</b>. The NBA shouldn't event grant him eligibility for the draft unless China changes their stance on nearly all of their demands.

4. NJRocket

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

After reading this article and some of the other articles about Ming I hope the Rockets don't get him. To much risk in what China is going to want and what they will do if they don't like the situation. Imagine if the Rockets get Ming and he starts off playing badly. China would yank him out of the US so fast and blame it on the Rockets not playing him right just to save face.

David Stern is going to do whatever it takes to get Ming into this league because it would bring it a $hit load of money in tv and ticket sales. David Stern is a w****.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Does the players union monitor what Shaq does with his money? Is it any of their business?

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What a joke. To hell with this. Draft Nene Hilario. Less impact, maybe, but far less headache.

I hope Chicago drafts Ming so this headache can be put to rest.

I understand that China is not the U.S., but the demands of the Chinese government are "ludicrous" (say it in a Mike Tyson voice).

Granted, our athletes are spoiled and overpaid, but someone in China has devised a way to line his own pockets...and everyone else's. That's theft of Yao Ming and his talent; and it's extortion of the NBA.

Yao Ming, not even in the NBA, and he's already got a posse. I thought it was bad when they showed Ron Artest and all the people sucking off him (ESPN the Magazine?)

#7 ROXTXIA, Apr 25, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  8. NJRocket

Gater...what Hunter is saying (the NY Times article describes his feelings a little better) is that what Ming does with his money once the contract is signed , is his business...and that the players union wouldnt get involved in helping China uphold a "kickback" contract that they would make Ming sign if he plays here.

9. NJRocket

Interestingly enuf, NBADraft.net compares him to Dream

10. Live

Live Member

AH, and the other shoe drops!

Actually, I kinda feel bad for Ming. He might be totally indifferent about where he plays, plus he won't be in control of his finances.

I just wonder if Wang and Banteer (sp?) are playing under the same conditions.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

NJRocket - I think your point is whether the Rockets want to deal with this? I don't personally subscribe to the Lottery being fixed and it's not likely the Rockets will have to face the decision but...

1) If I were the Rockets and had the draft rights to Ming, I'd take him and hold those rights for however long it took. This is what was done in Sabonis' situation. Just my opinion and I'm sure it's a minority opinion. Sooner or later, China is going to get caught up with the rest of the world.

2) If Ming is not an option, Hilario deserves a long look...wonder if Torres has played against him?

Off-topic PS - not to beat a dead horse, but did you see the paltry list of FA's I posted for NugzFan...I was LMAO! :)

12. NJRocket

Yes i did...that was classic. Im was actually pretty shocked my self to see how weak the free agent crop was. I was going to comment but since he placed me on his dreaded "ignore" list :rolleyes: , I refrained from beating the dead horse in question.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Would "economic asylum" be an option!

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is bull****. What, cause China represents big $ they get to tamper with the NBA draft and signing process. I don't care how much of his paycheck goes back to China, but he'll have to abide by NBA rules. Remember, Ming means big $ to China in addition to the US. I say we call their bluff. If he want to play in this league, there can't be any double standards. If Stern sells out, it will be a horrible day for basketball. **** China, they can't dictate **** , and if they want to, they can keep Ming.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree that these demands shoudl just not be allowed. If Stern doesn't do something now, it will unravel and get out of control.

Assuming they wanted to do this, couldn't Wang, Bateer and Ming just "defect" The first two are already in America and Ming could just stop forever on a trip here. I'm not saying it's what they want to do at all, but if they did, what could China do?

16. NJRocket

Thats what I was thinking....I mean, with all of the money that Ming will be making, he could bring his entire family over here for the draft, sign his NBA contract and an endorsement deal or 2, he would have enough money to set his entire family up in the US , tell China to go screw and never return. Is anyone on the board familiar with Chinese Law and the implications if Ming and his family just defected?

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think China would get a little suspicious if Ming wanted to bring his whole family to the US. I don't know if Ming would want to completly leave China anyway. He is a God over there.

18. NJRocket

Maybe so, but its not the least bit abnormal for the draftees to have a full table of family members in the back room at the draft...im not talking about the 65 distant cousins he probably has...im talking about his immediate family...i dont think that would throw up any red flags(no pun intended)

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can not defect to the US if we have diplomatic relations with that country. That is why Vietnamese people can't just hop on a boat and escape from Viet Nam to the US anymore. They have to go through the proper paperwork with both countries and China would never let Ming go.

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

It might be the minority opinion, but I agree with it.

Ming will get out of China eventually. As long as we don't have to wait as long as the Trailblazers did for Sabonis, it's worth it. I just think that Ming is going to be that good.