1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arno_ed, Feb 1, 2024.

?

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am wondering whether the fans think that the Rocket believe that Sengun is their franchise player and should be build around. Many NBA players and insiders are very positive about him and we have a nice thread to discuss if we think that he is our franchise player or not. But in the end that doesn't matter. What matters is what the Rockets believe.

I really have my doubts if they see him that way. So far most signs that I see point to the rockets not trusting him to be the franchise player (like trying to have another center start 3 years in a row). I get the impression that the rockets are much more eager to build around a guard.

I fear that we are seeing him being used more this year because he is clearly the best Rocket player and Green has not been good this year. and Udoka want to win now. But that the rockets are waiting for either Green to become the main offensive player or for a disgruntled star to become available. I would not be shocked if he is traded for a player like Donovan Mitchel.

Do more people get this feeling?

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t feel like the Rockets don’t prioritize Alperen Sengun. Udoka clearly trusts him, and coaches him very hard—something that he wouldn’t do to an unimportant player.

Most of Jalen’s season has been a disappointment so Alpi’s development has been a pleasant and (for me) unsurprising storyline this year. The Rockets would be fools to not see him as a star, even if they don’t necessarily see him as THE star. Nobody else on our roster is better.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Alpi grows as his career progresses, and I feel like he’ll be a Rocket for quite a while to come

3. 34to11

34to11 Member

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t get this feeling at all. I think the Athletic article contains direct info from the organization and they made a point to say he’s off the table.

I get that feeling about Jalen though. I have a feeling they have told him they may trade him. I also have a feeling it’s simultaneously a threat made in order to ignite a fire under Jalen.

I don’t like that they shifted their strategy. It’s not the time to consolidate, I know Udoka wants to win now at a high cost but I also hope Stone has some backbone and defends his picks.

I can understand - but not support - a Jalen trade if a star SG (secured contract for 2+ years) is available. At least there’s some logic to that - Jalen has been disappointing for so many stretches so it’s on him.

I would be shocked if they don’t see Sengun as a top 3 player on a title contender the moment his 3pt shot improves and his net impact explodes into elite efficiency and volume. There’s no way the offensive production with acceptable rim protection won’t result in a max-worthy net impact on team record.

#4 Mathloom, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Rashmon and cmlmel77 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No need to panic, Jonas is a good player, he has the right to own Alpe in one game out of 3.

Patience and HardenReturns like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

B-Bob, topfive and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengün should travel around the world a lot more. Should get out more.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think shenj could use a few years in europe and learn some culture

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

A yes/no poll is just not nuanced enough. You cannot win a title with one franchise player, unless that person is a top 3 player in the NBA. And I expect that (almost) none of Sengun’s biggest fans expect that from him.

I am sure the Rockets believe Sengun can be a top 2 or 3 player on a championship team. Whether he is the best or second best is irrelevant. They need at least one more all-NBA caliber player, so they cannot just commit to “build around Sengun” at all costs. They have to see what others offer and what combinations work well.

If that bothers you as a fan (hi, Salman!), you may be too emotionally invested in one player.

10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we are in a win win situation. He was the 16th pick in the draft. I don't see him ever being the best player on a championship team, but he's a very good player. Who knows? The rockets may sell high on him cuz he'll be our greatest trade asset for a superstar. The problem with building around him are his defensive limitations and the fact that he isn't a good three point shooter yet. In order to truly build around him as your main piece he has to be a good 3 point shooters and you need great defenders at every other position on the floor including a 4-5 who can hit the 3 ball. This is hard to do.

It may be easier to just go run and gun with Green and have a great defensive floor spacing center with our youngsters.

having said that, i don't see any way sengun is traded unless a superstar becomes available. This may happen one day.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a conventional Championship team.....

The Denver Nuggets were never a conventional team with no great wing players........the Worriers were not a conventional team either with no offensive PFs or Centers.

I agree for now and the next 2 years, Sengün might just be a 2nd Option ..... we can hope for later.

jcmoon likes this.
  12. plegus

plegus Member

Problem is Alperen's value would drastically drop if he is not the centerpiece (given that the other option is Jalen being the centerpiece), meaning you have to build around him to cover his weaknesses. If he becomes second or third option he will be an eyesore in many possessions therefore he will be relegated to a standart piece naturally. I would even say "lob threat" jokes will no longer be jokes.

I think firstly, Alperen would not like it at all and secondly it won't work for Rox. This is a very sensitive subject for both parties' success and I believe our FO is way more eager to set Jalen as the centerpiece and will jump on the idea as soon as it is available. We are all seing Jalen breaking out lately, hopefully, and FO will be all over it.

TL, DR: The answer is, No. Our FO is patiently waiting to not consider him the centerpiece and will jump the ship ASAP. Clutch was right all along.

Disclaimer: I do not believe what Iko says at all. He is just told to write whatever FO wants him to and our FO is a Lawyer, a professional lier and manipulator.

AlperenSengun and HardenReturns like this.
  13. plegus

plegus Member

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ironically you got a point....

Just as Jalen Green's confidence would drop off if he is not used 35 minutes either.......Alpe would not be comfortable being a 3rd option.

The Rockets have all sorts of problems.......with Cam Whitmore knocking on the door for a major audition. A much bigger role.

HardenReturns and jcmoon like this.
  15. plegus

plegus Member

I wasnt trying to be ironic and still don't see it. I am very serious try to read it without the "he is a SOF" filter :) I do not necessarily think it is bad for Rox, on the contrary, as I pointed out a month ago, we have too much talent to choose from which is the best thing that could have happened lol.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Meant the Situation is very ironic for the Rockets.....they are in sorts of crossroads and big decisions waiting.

Good situations can always turn sour .....it is what it is.

There is a difference if you only have 2 franchise cornerstones, or if you have 5 or 6........that could turn very messy over time.

If you actually put Amen and Jabari in a mixer, you would get a pretty good player out of that....

plegus likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Alperen makes another jump and is averaging 25-10-6 next year, you can call it whatever you want. He will be tracking for the HOF.

Mathloom and HardenReturns like this.
  18. jcmoon

This is actually a great problem cuz he might be the best of the bunch. The rockets can just hide him as a first option until green or sengun is traded and then unleash him. If we unleash Cam whitmore too soon, we'll have to pay him too much! Same with Amen. Let them both play their roles and work on skills in practice. Their time will come.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am also interested in the possible 7-9th pick in the Draft, even when people are not overly positive about it.......

It would be a mistake to trade Green or Sengün right now or in the next 2 years........I suggest we play them at least 2 more years......

We should get rid of Fred VV first and open up 40 million .......we need that money to bolster the bench shooting.

The Thunder just got a Euro League champ level of PG Vassa Micic for peanuts and now he is getting used to the NBA....

HardenReturns and jcmoon like this.
  20. jcmoon

we are on the same page. We'd be fools to trade that pic cuz we need more role players when we are good. Forget about winning now udoka. He only cares about his resume. I've been waiting over 30 years to build a contender. who cares what he wants? he gets a fat pay check.

I agree on FVV. Jalen Green needs to play like russell westbrook and he has been doing pick and roll. He needs the ball in his hands and push the pace. This is how we'll get the most out of green. Let him run point with 2 guard/ combo guard who can also run pick and roll who's faster. Fred takes up too much of our salary. He's done his job thus far. We love you fred. But i would rather see amen thompson and a stop gap starter for a couple years with green.

daywalker02 likes this.