1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Lakers Suck?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MadMax, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Shaq definitely looks out of shape and the rest of the team doesn't seem to have much intensity. They might just need one of those backs against the wall situations in the playoffs to get back to where they've been. The Lakers could be the most dangerous 8th seed in the history of basketball. Anyone really confident that the Mavs even with homecourt could beat the Lakers in the first round? I know I'm not.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

thanks for resurrecting this thread!!

they suck....

and they're going to have to play like hellfire to get back in this thing, with little indication they have much desire to do so. 44 games at least, most likely, to make the playoffs in the west this year...they've won 10 and lost 17 after 27 games...that leaves 55 games to win 34.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wow, I can't believe how great the chances of the Lakers' missing the playoffs are. 34-21 is possible, but not the way they are playing right now.

Also, 44-38 is in no way a guarantee to make the playoffs in the west(Maybe even in the east this season).

4. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I wish they would make the playoffs if only so they don't have a straight chance at LeBron James. That would be so unfair if they got him and Shaq and Kobe together with Phil Jackson.

5. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

After watching the Lakers beat Sac in the playoffs last year, I wouldn't count them out, at least versus Sac. All the Sac players folded except for Bibby in crunch time. In two close games, all of them choked except for Bibby. Stojakovic is still hurting from what I've read.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hahaha, I'm sure the Lakers BBS is full of "Give Shaq the damn ball" threads. :D

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Don't they have any pride?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, they beat Toronto yesterday . . . on an controversial non-3-pointer at the end of regulation, and a missed FT by a hurt Lindsey Hunter. What a big accomplishment on the road. :rolleyes:

9. napster

napster Member

Again..yep, the Lakers suck.

10. LLJ

LLJ Member

It's the same team that won 3 titles. I suspect some of them are getting old, and Shaq does look a little out of shape, but they still could be dangerous.

I don't like Kobe or McGrady (though as a Toronto fan, you can suspect that I like Kobe just slightly more because of the way in which T-Mac left us high and dry...:( ), but I honestly think Kobe is, at least from an all-round standpoint, better than T-Mac, by a hair. That hair is that Kobe is the better defender. T-Mac doesn't shadow his man like Kobe usually does in big games.

I would personally only pick maybe 3 or 4 players over Kobe if I were to start a franchise. T-Mac and Kobe are a toss-up to me.

However, I do think Kobe should be blamed somewhat for trying to do too much. It's not his fault that his teammates aren't making shots, but he isn't doing his team much better by hogging the ball and taking so many shots and dribbling the Spalding off the ball. Kobe also looks slower with the added weight.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

For at least a half, no.

The Lakers, for the first time in a while, somewhat resemble the team of the last couple of years. They really seem to be inspired tonight, and are hitting their shots (though it has to suck to only be up four and be playing this well).

Win or lose, they're playing well tonight. The question that will determine their season is whether or not they will bring this focus every night, or if it's something that will be reserved for home national TV games with the Kings.

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

if the Lakers miss the playoffs, and somehow win the lottery and get lebron, when teams like the Cavs, Nuggets, Wizards, Grizzlies, Hawks and Warriors have sucked for many years, might as well not even watch the NBA for the next 20 years.

I'll still be watching though.

13. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Darn, this is getting me worried. If they do managed to get James, they will be a big threat to the Franchise and Ming Dynasty.

I am willing to be 5 to 1 that Lakers miss playoffs. Western conference is really crowded this season. I just don't see how the Lakers can win 70% the rest of the season.

Anyone notice how Kobe dribble so much, lots of ISOs and TOs, lots of jerked up shots. He reminds me of Francis earlier this season. :D

14. LLJ

LLJ Member

You really think Lebron is going to be super-awesome?

Not a sarcastic remark, just wondering. I haven't seen many guards dominate the game since Jordan.

15. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I doubt he will be next Jordan, but if he is just next Kobe/T-Mac/Kidd/Bibby/Nash, Lakers will be very hard to beat with Shaq/Kobe/James.

16. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Perhaps it's from the post-surgery babymaking? Where's a superstar's priorities? :D

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was a bit worried about the Lakers winning the lottery too. You never know. (Maybe Phil Jackson is secretly joining the Lebron Tankathon?:p ) But when I thought about it more, it really wouldn't matter. I think Shaq will retire before James develops into anything dominant. Kobe might not even stay in LA once his contract is up. So who cares?