1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the Lakers Suck?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MadMax, Dec 5, 2002.

1. playahata

playahata Member

Do the Lakers suck??? Kind of. Shaq is breaking down, and most of their team is garbage. Shaq is putting up decent numbers, not dominating. This reminds me of Hakeem circa 1998. IF they get in to the playoffs they will probsbly be okay because mismatches are always amplified in the playoffs (i.e Shaq and Kobe), and the worthess garbage that comprises the rest of the team will manage a couple of clutch shots to bail them out. Hopefully it will get worse and they just won't make it. Although I know otherwise.

2. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Guys, you are missing the other side of the story. Sure, the lakers are a bit off, Shaq is not in shape, Kobe is all banged up, FoxHorryFissher look like they don't care much, etc. But the reason the Lakers are 7-13 is because teams are getting up for them and they smell blood. Phil Jakson's teams have always had the mental edge, now it's like the aura is gone. If Phil doesn't start working his motivational magics the lakers will not make the playoffs. Every team is gunning for them, they don't face "off-nights" and "B-efforts" to skeak by.

3. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

Sure I would happily bet money. You could tell last season that the Lakers were declining. No they do not suck and yes they could more than likely win it all again. But they look like the Mavs did against the Pacers game. Once that pressure came on them to win and kept getting glorified for winning so many games they didn't play to the capabilities. Well Lakers aren't. Hell who knows they could make it but right now they have the chance of winning it all as the Kings and Mavs do. You couldn't say that last season.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The Lakers have problems, serious problems. They are losing games where Shaq and Kobe play decent. I look for them to do a major/desperate move or two. What you have to remember is the Lakers should have lost last year. They can't count on Sac/Mavs choking again like Sac did last year. The Lakers last only as long as Shaq lasts--and the last few years are showing it may not be as long as people were thinking. They have to shake things up IMO and can't afford to wait until next year to retool.

Though it helps the Lakers in the short term, I would consider taking advantage of them in a trade (KT/MO--either of whom would really help them) if there is something the Rockets could gain long term--but I don't see much. But here are a few possibilities: what do you think KT/Collier for Rush/Walker and the Lakers #1 in like 04? If we are going to lose KT after this season anyway (I firmly believe next year KT, EG and Mo can't possible be on the Rockets roster) at least we could get a back-up 2 prospect (Rush) and a draft pick (we would not resign Walker). The Lakers wanted to draft KT and he honestly would help them quite a bit. Another might be Mo & Tito (plus maybe a draft pick) for George, Walker and Rush?

Basically the Lakers are going to have to roll the dice. A slowing Fox, a breaking down Horry, and a slowing/breaking down Fisher are just not enough around the big two.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The role players haven't made their shots. That's a reason Kobe jacked up those shots when Shaq was injured. He had a couple triple doubles in the games before, but then for some reason the scrubs stopped making their shots. And they continue not to...

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wouldnt mind having Kareem Rush. He could end up being about as good as Mobley.

But I think this is all wishful thinking. Sure the Lakers are declining but they will go on a streak soon. You can count on that.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what does that mean??? i figure phil has already sent his resume to dallas and houston where he sees a brighter future of young players whose coattails he could ride.

8. MadMax

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i'm afraid they will stil be there if the games count.they will make the play offs, and they can even win it al. but i like them to lose,But i do not know who i like enough t become champions.oh wait now i know The Rockets:D

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Rox' #6 seed to be the Lakers inspiration?

Their roll players are a nonchampionship season from the scrap heap. Think Samaki or Derek or LA-Fox could compete for a ring in any other environment? Robert? Shaw? Robert Shaw? Wasn't that Deliverance? Go, Shark -- devour the evil Lakers.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Looking at that GS-Lakers box score, Kobe Bryant made 6-12 shots and got 14 assists. Personally I'm not too crazy about the dude, but for him it must be frustrating trying to find a happy medium. His numbers for that game would be a POINT guard's wet dream, but still they lost.

Watch him take 50 shots next game.

12. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yes, it is official: the Lakers do suck

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I watched most of the GS game last night (from a bar). What struck me most was the complete lack of defensive intensity from the Lakers. I don't want to knock the Warriors, because they're playing with a lot of hustle these days, but the Lakers looked like they just didn't care until there were about eight minutes left. Richardson hit a bunch of threes, but they were mostly uncontested by the Lakers.

In the Western conference, they might have a hard time waltzing into the playoffs at this rate. There are just too many teams scrapping for those bottom spots. I'd still guess they'll make it back, but they better start to wake up within the next 8-10 games. After that, they may have played their way to an early vacation.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think Phil is doing a great coaching job right now.

15. MadMax

yeah..it's all part of his master plan to lose games to bottom tier teams...he's just smarter than us...he meant to do that. :D :rolleyes:

16. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I watched it from Section 216, Row 3, Seat 6, and I agree with you. In fact, you could make a solid case that the Lakers didn't get really serious about things until Richardson's last three-pointer put GS up 101-92 with just over 3 minutes left.

After that, if Boykins doesn't draw the charge, Fisher probably ties the game 102-102 with two free throws, and LA goes on to win.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, different topic, but...

I love Boykins' game! He is the real deal, not a gimmick.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the Lakers, including Phil Jackson, are just arrogant in thinking that they can turn it on any time they want. The Mavs game reinforced that belief.

Well, last night they turned it on too late. I hope that's what will happen to their season too.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Lakers are getting old. The Superfriends are becoming Bob Horrys and saving the juice for the mountain far ahead of them...

20. Timing

Timing Member

The Lakers are just an injury to Shaq away from being in the LeBron James derby.