1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do any of you (besides me) believe in Jesus?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by K9Texan, Apr 23, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I see I said. Jealousy I said. Gettin' stoned everyday like Jesus did.

2. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Some of it is in the Bible and other accounts came from other early church writings.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's the same class of the law that governs what is kosher to eat. Jesus fulfilled the law and Paul had a vision instructing him to not call unclean that which has been made clean. So, christians shouldn't be worried about wearing two kinds of cloth together any more than they should worry about eating shellfish, as I understand it.

Edit: it was Peter's vision, not Paul's.

#103 JuanValdez, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  4. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The prohibition from wearing differing fabrics was directed at Jewish rabbis and related to their dress in that role.

5. HTM

HTM Member

That's pretty vague. It's not very good or convincing evidence those things actually happened.

You might want to drill down on that. What year was the person martyred? Where? Why? Who witnessed their martyrdom? What year was it first claimed they were martyred? How much time transpired between the martyrdom and the first written account of the martyrdom? Who claims to have seen it? How many independent accounts are there of that persons martyrdom? Are there any records of it?

Ask some questions bruh. There's 12 apostles. Go one by one. Provide some well evidenced answers. You are the one making the claim.

6. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

It's surprising to most to learn that there is no commandment anywhere in the Bible that says that followers of Jesus must attend a physical church. Jesus's church is his body of followers rather than a denomination, worldly organization, or physical building.

7. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

You are free to research that for yourself. You are also obviously free to believe or disbelieve in Jesus.

8. Buck Turgidson

The bans on seafood and pork made sense for itinerant tribes of nomadic desert dwellers, just not so much for modern humans.

Mathloom and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I spent 12 years at Second Baptist School, I've read it cover to cover so let's not have a Bible Showdown if you don't mind. I have my thoughts and they are mine alone.

Exiled likes this.
  10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Are you always an ***hole?

11. Buck Turgidson

Only when the demons tell me to be.

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thanks for clearing that up.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He is, yes. Lol.

K9Texan likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

You got me questioning myself, so I went to Leviticus 19 to check. That section is clearly meant for all 12 tribes of Israel. It starts with God saying to Moses, "Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel" and has many instructions that echo the 10 commandments, which seem generally applicable. They also have instructions to not plow your fields to the very edges (for the same of the poor), and Levites were not even supposed to have land so I think it's aimed at the non-priests. And after the bit about mixing fabrics, it goes on to sexual sins, again generally applicable.

K9Texan likes this.
  16. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

My explanation was poor. Here is a better explanation.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/why-is-there-a-commandment-against-mixed-fabrics

Some theologians believe they have found the answer in the Bible where we are told that the high priest wore a garment of mixed wool and linen (Ex. 28:6-8, 39:4-5). It is believed that precisely because this was the garment of the high priest it was forbidden for the average person to wear. Clothing of mixed wool and linen was exclusively for the high priest; it was considered a consecrated kind of clothing. For the average person on the street to wear it would be akin to a modern person walking around in a clerical collar or Mass vestments.

We see something similar when it comes to the anointing oil used by the Israelites. The formula that was used was forbidden to be used for anything other than anointing oil (Ex. 30:31-38). The Jewish people were careful about making sure that things set aside for sacred use were not used for regular use.

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

I have also seen the argument that it was a pagan practice to mix fabrics, and that the Jews were warned that it was a form of idolatry to participate in it. And now, when we mix fabrics it isn't out of idolatry. Whatever the reason, Christians didn't just forget about it because it was inconvenient. Every verse has been analyzed to death.

K9Texan likes this.
  18. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Some OT verses are really out there at first glance but plausible explanations are found when one digs a little deeper. Unbelievers, of course, love to share such verses to mock the Bible.