1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DNA Analysis Finds That Yetis Are Actually Bears

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Nov 30, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

DNA Analysis Finds That Yetis Are Actually Bears

University of Buffalo biologist Charlotte Lindqvist and her international team in Pakistan and Singapore provided the first strong evidence that presumed yetis are actually bears. They published their results in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B on Tuesday. Icon Film secured nine samples that purported to be genuine yeti artifacts, and Lindqvist gathered 15 samples from known bear populations. By sequencing mitochondria from all these sources, she and her fellow researchers were able to determine that all but one of the yeti artifacts actually came from local bears. That last sample was from a dog. They also figured out that Himalayan brown bears split off from the rest of the regional bear population several thousand years ago, which is why they're so genetically distinct from most other brown bears. Living in geographic isolation for so long has separated them from other Asian brown bears, and even from their relatives on the nearby Tibetan plateau. They even look different. But prior to Lindqvist's work, it wasn't clear just how long Himalayan bears had been on their own. Researchers will need higher-quality samples to figure out the whole picture, but even this small step is major for a species that's hardly been studied.

JamesC and Deckard like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Didn't know there were actually Yetis. Hmmm.

macho GRANDE and durvasa like this.
  4. No Worries

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

6. Nero

Nero Member

I just love how the bottom of this page is filled with ads for Yeti coolers and tumblers.

macho GRANDE and marks0223 like this.
  7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The government is just sayin that to prevent people from climbing the highest mountains, as you can see the edge of the world when standing on Mount Everest.
    Don't get fooled and educate yourself on YouTube, don't listen to the government and paid-off scientists.

No Worries, Nook, heypartner and 3 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#9 Deckard, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Correction: DNA analysis of bear hair that was listed as potentially coming from a Yeti proves it to have been from a bear.

JamesC, arkoe and heypartner like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So, are you suggesting that the analyzed hair might not actually be Yeti hair? I'm fine with that, because I've enjoyed the legend. Some sort of bear does seem likely, though. Nice find by No Worries.

12. No Worries

Hear me out ... I know that this is a bit out there ... Maybe the Yeti hunt the bear and wear their skins.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, they meant DNA analysis finds there is no such thing as a Yeti. NEXT.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm hearing you out! While a bit out there, as you said, why couldn't the samples be from the skins of the rare Himalayan bear that were worn by the mysterious Yeti? I like your theory. And before someone says, "well, if that's the case, where are the remains?" Heck, the Yeti, not being aware that littering is a no no, and perhaps being unaware that the modern area even exists, simply toss the old rare bear skin, and replace it with a new one. After all, if anyone knew where to hunt for the Himalayan bear, it would be a Yeti. Makes perfect sense.

Why the heck not? If the Rockets can go 12-1 in November, anything is possible!

No Worries likes this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

16. No Worries

I think a case can be made that the Yeti are fashion conscious and have to discard their 2016 wardrobe once 2017 arrives.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn right. Bears that naturally stand on their hind legs would be a cool news story.

Do we see bears do that naturally?

This fake news science sickens me.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe they have a big screen TV in their cave, powered by solar panels and hydro-electric power, warmed by hot springs, with a dish streaming NBA League Pass. They could be fans of the Rockets! After all, how could they not be? We be ballin'.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard likes this.
  20. No Worries

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.