1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO's agent "Rockets not doing enough to re sign him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Sep 14, 2016.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So really the agent is just blaming the Rockets not doing his job for him. None of this would be a problem if he could get his client a deal from another team right?

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

No where are his real agents? DD and Holic what is really going on?.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Nobody else wants him is the bottom line.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to get a max free agent with the signings of Ego and Ryno.

But still bad to overpay for Dmo

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think this is current and correct:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston_rockets/

So looks like $83.3 million already committed next offseason, excluding team options. The one they will almost assuredly pick up is Capela's, so that's another $2.3... so $85.5 million.

I think the new, lowered estimate for the cap is $102 million.

Now its hard to imagine DM would have structured the new Harden deal without being cognizant of maximizing cap room for next year if necessary. He'd have to make some deals, but he could free up space... Ariza and Brewer would both be $7+ million expirings the following year, PBev would effectively be a $5.5 million expiring (even better since its an expiring with a team option, so more valuable to acquiring team in a trade), and Harrell would be a $1.1 million expiring. So he has about $20 million of contracts with only 1 year left at that point which might be attractive when paired with a future draft pick for example.

That said, to your point, its very tight, and its hard to imagine DM wanting to guarantee any money to DMo in 2017 and beyond.

Frankly, if DMo did find a team this late in the game to give him $7+ a year for 2 or more years, I think Darryl would have to think long and hard about matching.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, but there is a difference between CAP, and Lux tax, and you don't have to resign Capella until you have secured DMo.

DD

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Like anything else of value, what somethings (someone) worth is what people (teams) are willing to pay. The fact that Dmo hasnt got other offers is demonstrative of his worth.

Dmo and his agent need to see reality.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dmo is not in a position of power imo. After that long ass injury of his, I'm not so sure I care where he ends up. Sure, he has potential to be good again. But, we're not overpaying for his long injured ass.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give him a Bev contract. Long term at a low number. 5-8 million.

10. opticon

opticon Member

Bev deal would be fair when you factor in the injury history of DMO

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

D Mo doesn't have much leverage.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Your insurance on durability concerns is DMo? For real??

13. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I dont know what is happening in Moreys mind.
    He fights like a giant to get a nice deal with Dmo and he threw 80 millions in Anderson.:confused:

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Can anyone do me a favor and explain the complaint about restricted free agency? The free agent still gets his market value, right? Only difference is that the home team can match. Why would the Rockets ever be expected to voluntarily pay more than DMo's market value? DMo's trouble seems to be that his market value sucks, not something unfair about restricted free agency - right?

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, to be honest, it seems like JB Armstrong as an agent sucks even more than D.Mo's market value.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, i mean BJ

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The complaint players have with RFA is that it locks them into fair market value. In normal FA middling players can typically get overpaid by teams that fear they'll lose an asset for nothing. If DMo was an UFA the Rockets may have put a larger offer out by now to ensure we keep him for fear of another desperate team offerring him a great deal. Also, RFA scares away other teams from making offers. They don't want to waste their time if the home team is just going to match.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is why you grab the money early . .. before it dries up

Rocket River

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yep, and RFA's are at a disadvantage vs UFAs. The early money is also the time when teams actually do have legitimate reason to fear matching...because they can't afford to have their offer money tied up for 3 days waiting for the home team to match or not.

So, RFAs often can't get attention with the early money when competing with UFAs for it.

#119 heypartner, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  20. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I expect DM to sign Landry for the minimum if the DMo team keeps on askin for the sky...