1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dmo vs. TJones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 7, 2013.

?

Team Dmo or Team Jones

Poll closed Nov 6, 2013.
  1. Dmo

28.9%
  2. Jones

57.0%
  3. Casspisanity

14.1%
  1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This reminds me that the only head-scratching decision by Morey in literally the last few years was the pickup of Reggie Williams. I am absolutely not a fan of his game. He is a good streak shooter when hot and is an above-average passer but gives a team virtually zero in every other category (horrible defender and on loose balls--or 50/50 balls as Morey would say), just not a complete or team player. Every other player that Morey has added seems to bring great intangibles and team play. Maybe Morey was hoping that Williams could pick up some of Delfino's minutes, but Delfino was far stronger on defense than Williams could ever hope to be.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alright my bad here for being too harsh with the words.

Jones will be a fine player whether it is with the Rockets or not.

Find it funny that you tried to diss one of our young players that is Jones in order to speak highly of the other while nearly everyone on the Rockets value Jones as "surprisingly good".
    It sounded that way.

DMo has shown flashes last season and he needs a lot more time IMHO.

I get that he added some bulk but I think he didn't overcome his mental hurdle yet and that is to play hard and aggressive.

Coaches will probably go with either one and both might be traded.

I think you will always side with the underdogs in bets and that is your good right. Good luck!

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I hope that both Jones and DMo play great this year and that we see a big improvement from them.

DMo must be doing something right, he got the call before Jones last year and he got the call before Jones this year. I kind of doubt that the coaches just flipped a coin to see who would get the start.

We are just seeing small bits of both players and the coaches see it all. DMo has only been back here for a little while and has had less time playing with Howard I think we will see an improvement as he gets more time. DMo had a real nice pass to Howard in the game I bet we will see more of that when they get used to playing together.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

jones is ready this year, d-mo will be ready next year or never.

5. Billionzz

You convinced me :)

6. Roxs-Redemption

Its a make or break year for TJones, so we got to see what he worked on this summer. Dmo has shown what he has worked on by playing in the European Basketball World Cup and working with The Dream a week before pre-season started.

I would start TJones, if he doesnt do a consistent job he will be traded sooner or later.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jones has been more consistent with his play. D-Mo has not, but he has shown flashes.
    I say go with consistency. It would be easier for building chemistry.

8. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Like how Lin should start, Jones should start.
    On the other-hand,
    like how Beverly should start, D-mo should start.

I am fine with either starting as long as the one starting continues to improve at a high rate. What I want to see is how Howard and Asik work before considering either of these two starting.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This team is built to win NOW, THIS YEAR. We have to win as many regular season games as possible to get an edge for the playoffs. The time to develop players has taken a backseat to players who you can count on to perform when the chit hits the fan. My personal opinion is that either D-MO or Jones will get some pt, but when the 4rd quarter comes around we will use some of these sf as our 4.

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/terrence_jones/season_splits.html

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

DMo is one of the most active 7 footers in the league and also one of its best passers. DMo plays real smart off the ball with his rotations and pics. His passes are creative and whenever the ball gets into his hands he knows what to do with it in a second's time. It's impressive to watch. McHale has said that the "job of the starting PF will simply be to make the stars better". This means passing the ball into the post to Dwight (not as easy as it looks) and being active so as to open space for drives. DMo compliments Dwight and Lin and Harden very well.

Meanwhile Jones is a totally different kind of player. Whenever Jones gets the ball he will take l2 or 3 full seconds before he decides what to do with it; which usually is to either lob it back out to the pg, or, take his man one on one. Notwithstanding his offensive ability TJones' off-the-ball ability is not even at NBA level. There was an instance for example last game where Harden picked off an inbounds pass; Jones was nearby, but Jones absolutely didn't know what to do...he could have set a pic for Harden, or, tried to move under the basket to accept a Harden pass...but instead TJones just stood there...and Harden ended up turning it over. In the scrimmages TJones also made some really bad decisions. Basically his whole offense is either he takes it one-on-one or else he stays out of the play entirely. Last year whenever JOnes was on the floor he was like the invisible man. This was why. Also Jones is inconsistent with his three.

DMo starts. TJones off the bench. No brainer. Think like a coach not like a fan.

1 person likes this.
  12. allaroundplayer

CXbby you sure start a lot of threads.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Dmo is gonna have to learn how to drop that ass on defense if he wants to play.

14. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I will go with Casspi for now, but we would more sample size. Hopefully Mchale gives him some playing time. Lets see...

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I bumped the thread. It is a voice of reason. Initially I do not see the battle between TJ and D-MO being won by either side. We could see December before the coaching staff makes up their mind. I feel sure that I am only putting down in writing what you just naturally assumed.

A lot depends on how Casspi and Asik play out at the PF spot. If they pan out and small ball remains a major player in the Rockets offense, then TJ or D-Mo could be towards the end of the bench. Nothing is certain at this point.

I agree that at this exact moment it looks like D-Mo is a better fit with the offense. Plus his defense, minus the non-shooting fouls, is currently the better of the two. But there are seven more preseason games to go. I personally am looking forward to them.

16. wise_man

wise_man Member

When dwight Howard came out and openly praised t-jones and what kinda player he could potentially be in the future and here comes u with ur boy d- mo who didnt even saw any playing time with his national team lithuiania.thats exactly what the problem is with the texans. I hope ur just a blog writer and have nothing to do with the organisation...t-jones is way better then ur boy.

17. Billionzz

Jones was playing some with Howard over the summer, while DMo was in Europe.
    DMo wasn't here to have the chance to play with Howard or he might have said the same about DMo.

The Texans didn't see any playing time in Lithuania?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with cxbby, and now I feel dirty.

;)

DD

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Busty one sneakingly voted for Casspi while claiming to care about
    DMo vs Jones

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets tried to run a solid nine man rotation for most of last season.
    2Cs (Asik, Smith), 2PFs (Patterson, Morris), 1 Delfino, 1 SF (Parsons), 1 SG (Harden), 2 PGs (Lin, Douglas).

Rockets, based on comments by McHale last year, want to run a 10 man rotation if they can, but will settle for a 9 man rotation if they can't. I do think the loser of the PF battle will have to fight for a rotation spot. I expect the Rockets to play small a lot.