1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO should post up more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight needs to be more selective in how and who he posts up, watching him fumble around way outside his range against solid post defenders is annoying, but there are certain teams and players you want him going after.

2. basketballholic

Here's what Dwight looks like with a spread 4 and good perimeter passers who can execute the backdoor lob as well as the plain jane post entry pass scoring on an array of post-ups, pick-and-rolls, pick-and-rolls into the post-up, and putbacks....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RSe36-i4ucI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wty_nbmQfAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KMBIntMN6l8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I hope than when Jones gets back he can continue shooting 35%+ from beyond the arc. It would be huge for the Rockets spacing.

4. basketballholic

Yes, it would be great. But I'd be shocked if it happened. First of all, I don't think Terrence comes back for awhile. When he does come back, the rotation and minutes will already be established. I'm sure they'll attempt to work him back slowly. But I can't see it happening this season. Not unless DMo goes down with injury or is traded and our front court is gutted. It feels like a lost season for Terrence. And if he does come back after a long layoff I see no way for him to maintain any semblance of good shooting percentages. He's not a good shooter to begin with.

I think he was most likely going to be traded anyways. But now he's hurt and whatever trade value he had is down to nothing. I'd be surprised if we traded him at this point. Probably a wasted season and we'll have to take him to training camp next fall in hopes of recovering his career. Either that or we end up peddling him off to Philly along with a second rounder if we somehow need the cap space.

5. jaychi

jaychi Member

I have not watched the Hawks game. So this is just an assumption.

this is what i feared when Howard came back

1.) there would be less post up opportunities for Dmo
    2.) when Howard and Dmo are together, Dmo would resort again to outside shots
    3.) less playing time for Dmo
    4.) they tend to give Howard more post up plays.
    5.) Dmo is going to be unhappy about playing time

They should know that Dmo in the post is the easiest score (maybe not automatic but very effective yet), not Harden's step back jumper or Howard post ups. They could at least give the same chance to Dmo in post up to Howard's post up. Mchale is a post up guy. He should know who is better. At least give them the same number of post ups.

The worst scenario is Dmo not being happy and another big man will leave us again.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, and the defense is way worse as Howard does not rotate as well.

DD

7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

or ariza for 3 or tery for 3 or harden for 3 or nick johnson or any other go to move rockets have...

dmo in the post is either a basket or a close miss...(the only thing is hes a poor FT shooter)

but rockets try this or that combination then they chuck a 3 when theres no time on the clock...

the only explanation i have is we are hiding dmo in order for other teams not to ask for him in our trading for the 3rd star...

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

cmon hes as efficient as anyone when postig up... when posting up hes a different person...its like taking a magic pill...suddenly you see him utterly comfortable and confident...you see from a mile away he knows what hes doing...unlike his touches at the perimeter where hes insecure...

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

It's pretty clear TJones syncs with Dwight better than DMo. DMo coming off the bench as the backup C for Dwight would be great because the 2nd unit can basically post him up every possession and run the offense through him.

10. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

DMO should play better d.

11. jaychi

jaychi Member

if there's a statistics out there that shows how many post up attempts he did from the times he sets u pick then we can judge if he is really being utilized properly. I think there's only about 5 post up shots he makes. that's only 10 points if he makes all of that. That's very few for a very skilled post up. How many did Mchale did attempt per game. How about Hakeem? Look at the last two games and minutes he played. It can be alarming if it gets less and he complains again. I really think he can be our third star for now. I don't know of a good 7 footer post up guy that is skilled like him and can run. Marc Gasol is not that good in posting. Pau is old. Valanciunas does not play like that. so it is rare to see players like him. it's easier to replace guards.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

When D-Mo was taking the lead in the post and D-Ho was injured and not playing, the Rockets when on an impressive run. Now that D-Ho is back and Motiejunas is being marginalized again, the Rockets are losing games.

Hmmmm.

13. ling ling

ling ling Member

The problem with dmo's post game is, he passes out on too many of them.

14. conquistador#11

when you ask demo to be an outside shooter that's not doing anyone any good. dwight draws a ton of fouls though. wish he'd hit atleast 60% of them. how howard scores 20 plus with awkward post moves, to this day i still find quite fascinating.

15. Mr Chuck Norris

What I hate is when they pass it to Dwight or Dmo for some strange reason they run the passer down the baseline. That is so damn stupid and it looks like the only post set up play we have. Why would you run your guard down the baseline, where your big man may try to attack from bringing the defender along the baseline with you, causing more congestion in the paint. Then on top of that issue if we need to repost there is nobody out on the wing to pass it to. That wing man can either repost or shoot the three and Dwight can try to score on a rebound. It's so dumb to me. They may have worked on post moves, but they haven't got our players in the right position.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I have thought the exact same thing! that dribble hand of rarely works. Further, I think the whole rocket offense is becoming mind numbing and predictable. Its almost like defenders can just stand in the corners, because everyone in the building knows where the pass is going to go. We do the exact same thing on every possession! and to the OP's point, I do think all the screens dmo has to set wear him out. Hell, I get tired watching it. Just throw him the damn ball. The worst part is, they refuse give him a good amount of touches. He is an after thought, when in my opinion he should be a legitimate feature of the offense. Bottom line: Mchale's offense is terrible.

17. kevtse

kevtse Member

howard should post up less will work too

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

^ absolutely agree.

It makes no sense to drag down extra defenders through the low block.

1.) Dwight/DMo are prevented from making quick moves after receiving the entry pass.

2.) Extra defender is allowed to disrupt post moves and create senseless turnovers (obvious).

3.) Entry passer, turned slasher (usually Bev, Terry or Ariza) RARELY ever get a returned dump pass from Dwight/DMo when slashers cut to the lane so close to them. It's like they're just going through the motions of clearing out without looking to receive a pass.

4.) Entry passer 'clearing out' by diving into the post creates one less shooter on the strong side. How many times did we see Kenny, Horry, Maxwell, Cassell, Elie drill those open looks from Dream passing back out of the double team? Quick, crisp passes into the post. A hesitation move by Dream, then a quick kick-out to his shooters on the wing. It was a thing of beauty.

Instead we see turnovers in the post.

Or a cluttered mess inside followed by contested jump hook that's bricked badly (usually Dwight).

It's rare to see a kick-out from the post with an immediate open 3-pt shot. Those attempts usually converted at a much higher % than transition 3s.

Just saying...

19. jaychi

jaychi Member

D-Ho post up: He complicates his post up. Why don't just back down like Shaq and forget about doing pivots. He is so strong and not a finesse player. That's why Shaq thinks he is not good enough because he can score more if he want.

D-mo post up : He backs down eventhough he is not strong but it is right thing to do. When someone is guarding on his left side, he turns and shoots with his right and vice versa. He is actually good on both hands. Why does not he be given more touches? He'll lose his energy setting picks. He is not really a pick and roll guy but he is good. He need more touches or else he'll jack up more outside shots he is not capable yet.

Mchale's offense : I understand he wants to move the ball more and not too many post ups but he is giving more post up plays for D-Ho and less for D-mo. He should have recognized who is the better post up player.

Conclusion : We'll probably lose another good big player in D-mo if this keeps up.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Mchale is a better coach when his hand is forced. When he has to make decisions involving different options he usually screws up.