1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO should post up more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Dec 9, 2014.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A lot has been made of Mchale and JB's coaching this year I think when the rest of the guys come back healthy will be the real test to see if Mchale has turned the corner as a coach...

I'm actually curious to see what happens when Dwight gets back. If we see at least a couple touches for DMO in the post while Dwight is on the court or DMO as the focal point of the bench group I will be fine with that.

It's just so tough finding the right balance when you have so many people that can contribute. It's a good problem to have.

2. dragician

dragician Member

i'd like to see how would react if he gets double-teamed. he's a great passer though.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dmo should've been getting developed from the get go. All young players make mistakes, but the ability has always been there. When tjones is healthy he should me moved with terry and kpap or just keep the team as is and hope mchale can find the right combo of guys on any given night.

Mchale needs to unclench and have more flexibility with his rotation. Don't play struggling players just because. We have options. If Garcia is struggling, maybe nick j can provide a quick spark. Even Troy Daniels maybe. If black or tjones struggles, maybe Dorsey can provide something. If beg isn't providing anything that night, maybe Canaan can do something.

Look at match ups. We have different guys good at different things. Use them. Keep them all hungry and let them know any given night you might be called on to help the team. Doesn't matter if it's just one or two minutes.

Or go with plan a to not make mchale have to work as hard and just give him guys he can just roll the ball on the court with.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

DMo should DMo more.

5. cruwinas_lawona

Such approach works in Euroleague or other international competitions. Coach is "The Boss", he can mix starting lineups, rotations.

NBA during the regular season is more like a show with player roles predetermined. And most coaches must suck up to their "stars" because "stars" bring the MONEY.

6. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Notice how he's been doing great since he's stopped hiding out behind the 3 pt line? D-Mo should stick to the post. I hope he knows now that he can't shoot

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't want to see Howard post up ever again .... He's just not good at that part of the game. Howard is a garbage man - an elite one but still a garbage man on the offensive end.

The only things I want to see him do are run the pick & roll or catching lobs or other easy passes on the baseline as a result of Harden & DMo running the pick & roll. Other than that , play defense & rebound .... stick to what you do best. He'd get a load of easy looks as a result of a Harden / DMo pick and roll combination as his defender will likely be the one who has to make the decision to double or not .... Dunk's , FT's & Layups for the three of them.

As for DMo posting up , I would like to see it continue on a limited basis , pending matchups that he can exploit but the staple of this offense should be the pick & roll with Harden as the facilitator and either Howard , DMo or Jones as the pick man.
    When Harden isn't on the court , things change .... and DMo in the post becomes a very attractive option Howard or no Howard.

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

apparently reading comprehension is a challenge for you based off your assertion. The question carries qualifiers (1) If Dmo can develop into a consistent above average defender (2) a guy like KD becomes attainable near the end of his contract.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Thank you!!!! Finally, more people are waking up! Howard needs to follow Too Short's advice and GET IN WHERE HE FITS IN!!!!

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Can we please stop accusing McHale and the Rockets of not developing DMo? DMo has played more than 2000 minutes in a little more than two seasons. He's been playing, and he has been developing. McHale even tried starting DMo his rookie season. The Rockets have Been fighting to win games and make the payoffs these past two seasons. They had to play the players that could produce. DMo seems to have found his groove, so he will now get even more minutes. Sometimes it just takes players a couple of years for the pieces to fall into place. It looks like DMo has figured it out. But, I don't have any problems with the way the coaches have "developed" DMo.

Just because DMo has finally started to produce, I don't think we need to be in a Rush to trade TJones. TJones is a pretty good young player himself. We can use both DMo and TJones.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've been saying this for months , even before he joined the Rockets it was apparent that he had no traditional post game and no touch on his shot.

You look at his shooting percentage and realize how many of those made shots are dunks , then you realize how poor a shooter he really is.

Then you factor in that ~37% of his post touches end in a turnover and then count the times he goes to the "charity stripe" and makes only 47.5% of those ..... Post touches for Howard are not efficient use of possessions. There is too high a percentage for something bad to happen.

12. oakdogg

Your numbers confirm what my eyes guesstimate. Unfortunately, I just don't see McHale doing what's right and taking those Dwight post ups away. :(

1 person likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Question: Does this mean Dwight should post up less?

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

McHale kept DMo in the rotation last year after for the longest time even though he was in a major slump and his play was hurting the Rockets.

15. jaychi

jaychi Member

Now we see how valuable Dmo is. The problem I see is when Howard comes back and what plays are given to him. He set picks a lot and he should be given more post ups. He is that skillful. I think he should alternate with Howard in post ups when they are both together similar to the time of Hakeem and Barkley.

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

DMO should swallow Luis Scola into his body and he would become a total beast. Hakeem is awesome but he played at the next level.

17. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I think it was on CFans that there was a video of Howard and DMO working with Hakeem. Not good at hunting that type of stuff up but some of you computer wizards can probably find it.

18. basketballholic

Agreed Dwight is not efficient on the post-up.

However, DMo still needs to mature further and become much more efficient with his post touches. He has entirely too many turnovers himself. And while better than Dwight at the stripe he still needs to improve more there as well. So DMO still got work to do to become a legit low post option.

In my opinion, the best play for both Dwight and DMo in the post is the simple pick-and-roll into the post-up. Dwight (and DMo when he is at the 5) should start in the pick-and-roll. If the finish is there, he should take it. And if it isn't, he should plant down low let Harden either finish or pass out and then Dwight should open up right there at the rim with the perimeter player looking to throw it back down low quickly. That is the post-up action we should give Dwight. That is unless we get a legit shooter at the 4 and we really spread the floor for Dwight to operate. Without that legit shooter at the 4, Dwight ain't got time to pound the ball and survey. The blocks are too congested with the smalls coming backside, etc. It's not efficient.

When James comes down and lobs the ball to Dwight in the post....it's not efficient. The floor is not spread enough. Gotta pick-and-roll into the post-up and make it a quick bang-bang, in-and-out play. Otherwise go get a legit stretch-4 so Dwight can go man-on-man in the low block.

19. oakdogg

I don't see how a stretch 4 will give Howard any semblance of a shooting touch. I have just given up on Dwight in the post.

20. oakdogg

Let me tell you a story. I was watching the Rockets one game, and I didn't feel that well already. I saw Dwight in the post, and I literally threw up all over myself. I cleaned myself up, changed clothes, and turned on the TV again. The Rockets game was still on. I saw Dwight post up once more, and I threw up all over again.