1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

distance between Yao and Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfwrox, Nov 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Duncan has the best hands of any big man in the league. And I consider Yao's hands to be average, at best.

2. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

yao should keep learning from these great bigs in our league today such as TD and KG, their toughness, determination and be effective with the ball.

3. tsunami

tsunami Member

Agree. Stamina wise, though Yao has made great progress, but he still lacks it down to the stretch in Q4, I never see Duncan has such problem.

4. durvasa

Duncan has been slightly turnover-prone early this season, compared to previous years. His turnover-ratio, currently, is at a career-high. Yao's turnover-ratio is even higher.

Anyways, Duncan is averaging 4.0 turnovers per 40 minutes this season. But he's also averaging 3.8 assists in those minutes. Further, only 41% of his field goals have been assisted. Yao is averaging 4.5 turnovers in 40 minutes, while only getting 1.9 assists and having 65% of field goals assisted. So, Duncan's turnovers are only a little less, but he's also creating shots for himself and others more frequently than Yao.

5. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

case in point--he went to the line b/c harris supposedly touched him as he shot a 3....replay indicated harris touched td's hip well b4 the shot.

SO, the refs later swallowed their whistles when Dirk REALLY fouled Finley on his 3 pt attempt.

Typical refs trying to do their make-up call, err make-up no-call.

6. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

I agree, Yao wasn't treated equally as TD by the refs.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If you were watching the game closely you mighy have noticed that Duncan is a 6'11" Power Forward with decent athletic mobility.
    If you have watched the Rockets play you might have noticed that Yao Ming is a 7'6" Center with limited athletic mobility.
    Very different type of games, different positions and different body types. So different that one hardly can make a true comparison. Its almost like Shaq and Yao comparisons, each one will never be the other!:p

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

While Yao might have Ducan to look up to, dont forget Boozer is on the rise too. That guy is rock solid as of right now. Yao has some serious competition if he is going at the MVP title this season.

9. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

It's called superstar treatment. Duncan has 3 rings, been in many playoff wars, and MVP of the league. Yao on the other hand has never been out of the first round. I think I said enough and will stop here.

10. jlwee

jlwee Member

Big F to the so-called superstar treatment. I just hate NBA because of this superstar treatment. What the crap is all this about. Superstars players, like Duncan, Lebron, Wade etc etc, the defenders are not allowed to touch or breath them else is an automatic foul! Whereas those so-called non-superstar players, like yao, the defenders are allowed to hack, grab, push, rape them???
    A foul should be a foul, call it!!!! Why is the fouls are called depend on the certain players are beyond me! And i hate the make-up call too!!! :mad:

Look at TD, without superstar treatment in the World Championship 05, he struggled! I think part of the reasons, team USA struggles in the international competition is because without the special treatments, some of those "superstars" struggle without the referees to bail them out!

Back to the topic, like Yetti, mentioned both are different types of player so you can really compare them. But at the moment, Duncan definitely a notch above Yao, like many have mentioned, he is more athletic and with a better hands! I hope as Yao gained more experiences, he will reduce his turnovers!

11. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Hmm, what you mean by best hands? Yao can do just about everything TD can do with both hands, as well, AND is a better shooter. Ok, TD's hands may be better at grabbing rebounds but imo that's more to do with Yao's slow reaction rather than the quality of hands.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Forget about MVP. It's not gonna happen even if Yao posted 30/12/3 for the season. MVP's going to King James. It'll take Yao a couple seasons of MVP caliber performance at the least before he wins it.

13. tmacyaorox

tmacyaorox Contributing Member

TD fouled out in the semifinal 2000 Olympic.

14. durvasa

I disagree. Duncan catches passes and rebounds in traffic and on the move FAR better. And he doesn't get stripped nearly as easily either.

15. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I don't know about that. The MVP may go to a Jazz player especially if the Jazz keep their ridiculous pace and win 65+ games.

I don't think the distance between Yao and Duncan this year is too great except for the preferential treatment.

In my view, Yao has a greater potential to be a dominant scorer because he shoots a high % from the field and on the line and when he catches fire, he can string several shots in a row.

16. tsunami

tsunami Member

But I think Dirk has a potential to hit MVP.

17. durvasa

I think, right now, Duncan has the best chance of winning it. As good as the Jazz have been, I still think the Spurs will be the favorite to have the best record in the league. And Duncan is having a bounce-back year. That means he'll get a bunch of MVP votes.

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Yao can get the same kind of treatment. When the spotlight is on Yao he has to dominate and not be weak. Those 3 guys you mentioned above bring their A game when the spotlight is on them.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I am surprised as to the number of Spur's Fans posting on The Rockets Clutch BBS!! :p

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

What an excellent Superstar treatment rule in this league! Imagine we have a law like this: a law is not a law if you are super rich. So Bill Gates can rape a girl without any problem, while regular guys like you would go to jail for just saying some dirty words. Yeah I love this game.