1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Disney Cinema] Beauty and the Beast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I saw this with the family this weekend (an extremely Disneyfied family), and didn't think it was great ... probably not even good. I second the critique of the rushed pacing.

I just don't see where they improved upon anything in the animated version. The songs felt like cheap knock-offs of the original Orbach/Lansbury versions. The payoff scene of
    everyone returning to human form
    works a lot better in an animated format. Here, it just seemed awkward and a bit creepy
    in the case of Ian McKellen

I think, for the most part, WD has done a pretty good job with its live-action reboots - Maleficent and Cinderella were pretty good, and I really liked The Jungle Book, but Beauty was a clunker for me. Given how well-done the Jungle Book was, I think Lion King should work, though I see fewer reasons for it to exist than any of the others that Disney has rolled out or queued up.

#21 Hammer755, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was okay. Frame by frame (+2) remakes make me question if the original really needed one.

Then again Disney will likely make a billion off of this

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Just saw it. Pretty cool.

Honestly don't think the term "live action" applies though. Not when 80% of the cast is CGI for all but 5 minutes. Maybe I'm just old school like that but I believe Disney has the money, time and wherewithal to do it real life live action.

Also I read that the "gay" thing was a big deal to some people...like, typical whiny outrage. I was expecting some pretty hardcore gay scenes and got barely an raised eyebrow worth of innuendo....about a dude in France, Gasp!