1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network announces Sling TV, an online cable alternative that will feature ESPN, ESPN2, Disney C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 5, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It has the fastest processor. I got thr roku 1. It's kinda slow

2. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have had the Roku 1,2, 2XS, and 3, and the 3 is definitely the one to get. The 3 is much faster than the other Rokus and the headphone listening through the remote is great.

I'm not sure what other platforms Sling TV is available on, but I'm happy with my purchase of the Roku 3. It was about $80 recently at Costco.

Edit: I just saw this promotion. Get a free Amazon Fire TV stick or $50 off a Fire TV box. Looks like a good alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.h...7a690ed8dd02b7969f-20&linkId=3LY7FM7IDF4HJODC

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

yeah the promotion works on the roku stick and roku 3 as well. That's why i'm trying to decide between the 4 options.

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Thanks, I see it now. I have an Amazon stick at home that I never use, but I might use this to pick up an extra Roku 3 for my other TV.

https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am going to go with the fire stick - its free cant go wrong with that -- I saw they were going to release an app soon enough on LGTV's webOS for their smart TVs so once that is out I dont need the fire stick but at least in the meantime its a good alternative for me to have

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Getting the promo right?

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Any particular reason you'd choose it over the roku stick ?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How do I get the free roku? I already signed up before the offer.

9. BiGGieStuFF

Either sign up with new email or contact customer support.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

it's got more memory and you can sideload android apps

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Ah, interesting. I'm thinking of just getting the stick as I already have the 3, and the stick would be for my bedroom. Part of the reason I want the stick is because Ballstreams has a channel.

Thanks for the clarification.

Btw, i think the server issues are resolved. Last night's TNT games worked great.

12. The_Yoyo

do not contact customer support they are pretty useless. I think their call center is in the phillipines (not the reason why they are useless) but while the lady was trying to figure out a way for me to get the promo I figured out to cancel and re-sign up with a new email. She kept insisting there was another way but she couldnt find a way. I told her what I did and she was like then -- hmm it looks like this account is a cancelled account. Really frustrating a classic case of people hearing but not listening

#92 The_Yoyo, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  13. The_Yoyo

yeah I had to cancel my current account and re-sign up (i wasnt charged yet still under free trial)

I know a few people that have a fire stick and they all love it. I don't know anyone who has the Roku stick at that point I just went with the fire stick. I know its extra and I probably wont get it right away but the voice remote that amazon offers for the fire products is pretty cool so its a nice option to have in the future.

14. VanityHalfBlack

If you guys click on the billing history on your account you should get something like this:

Trial period for Sling 1 Week Promo + Extras

Which translate to, free amazon fire stick and promo.

15. Mr. Clutch

It shows that on mine.

So they'll just mail it at some point?

16. VanityHalfBlack

Pretty sure , yep. When you guys posted the link I clicked on it even after signing with 7 day free trial and it posted that they will send the stick. Not sure when though but they should mail it out eventually.

17. VanityHalfBlack

For those that have cable/sattelite/digital now, it's still a good back up cause you'll never know if you want to opt out of your cable provider. I think my contract ends like next summer, if I don't like the pricing I can just easily transfer to sling tv which is already in service. That and hulu and netflix, you won't be missing out on any important channels.

18. BiGGieStuFF

If you guys ever get one of those visa pre-paid cards, register it on the visa website to yourself. Once it's empty you can just use those cards for all the free-trial promos. That way if you ever forget to cancel, it can't charge. Saves the hassle of having to call and go..oh man i forgot to cancel can i get a refund.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Nice tip.

20. The_Yoyo

No they'll give you a promo-code to use at amazon and you can order the fire stick directly on amazon yourself and use the promo code to get it for free.

thats actually smart I should do that just put like 10-20 bucks on a card like that so I dont need to worry. Nice tip