1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network announces Sling TV, an online cable alternative that will feature ESPN, ESPN2, Disney C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good point.

2. what

what Member

It is cheaper, and more flexible. But not by much. And you really actually don't have to have the internet FOR cable or satellite.

So the way I look at it, I'm probably paying the same but I'm getting MORE. I get internet + dvd + lp + on demand for maybe $40.00 less.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Ppl just love trolling something they understand nothing about :rolleyes:

4. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

How long until you get the invitation? When is the launch date?

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Got Sling, it's pretty cool but I only really care for TNT.

Btw, stop paying for Hulu Plus monthly. Find yourself a reputable seller on eBay who has the 12 month codes for like $30.

$9 a month for Netflix
    $ 2.50 a month for Hulu (Payed $30 on ebay for the 12 month code)
    $ 0 - OTA Antenna (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX26, CW39) (gets me a good amount of nfl football, barclays premier league on the weekends, and college basketball)
    $10 a month for Ballstreams (60 dollars for 6 months)

Total= $21.50

Including internet (35.00 promo for 105mbps and no modem lease fee as i use my own) that is 76.50 a month.

Plus if you have a friend or family member with cable, using the cable log-in gets you more channels.

On my roku, i have ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN NEWS, and ESPN Deportes due to a cable log-in I use. Showtime (including Showtime Live), A&E, History/H2, FoxNow, etc

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The issue with the bolded part is now you are pirating. Im not judging :) Im on a couple of very large plex servers. Anything else I miss, I simply torrent to my local plex server. All I miss is HD sports broadcasts. I didn't miss the superbowl since it was on NBC in HD. All for a big $0.
    That said, I dont watch that much TV as it is. I wouldn't mind paying $20.00 a month for royalty fees for the few shows I do watch. I would even pay $1.50 for each Red Box blu-ray streaming if they had that service.

7. Scionxa

Is sling down for anyone else on roku? Wants me to log in as if I hadn't already and gets stuck at the sign in screen when you hit enter

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Watching on my Roku 3 with no problems

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what kind of roku do people have? does it run fast on all rokus? roku 1, 2, 3 and stick?

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Runs pretty well on my roku 2. Ironic that as soon as I sign up for sling, the two nba games are on espn3 which sling doesn't carry.

11. Scionxa

It's on abc via antenna in hd

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Isn't ESPN 3 based off of who your Internet provider is? You don't need to have a cable subscription IIRC.

13. BiGGieStuFF

Haha thanks, I'm an idiot then. Watched it on the Chromecast the entire time without realizing it.

14. BiGGieStuFF

Yeah you don't need one. I just felt cheated because I started a new subscription to watch more NBA games on sling and turns out the games weren't even on ESPN channel today. It will work out in the long run. I just haven't watched much on sling as of yet. It would have been nice to have during the NFL season for Monday night football.

15. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

I don't think it works with Monday night football because Verizon has some kind of exclusive rights.

16. BiGGieStuFF

AMC is being added to the line-up. That'd be great if it's video on demand. Man when did I get so lazy to download TV episodes.

17. Scionxa

No worries. Luckily for you, espn3 will now be available via sling. Well, technically not through Sling but you'll be able to use the WatchESPN app and use your sling tv credentials

18. Scionxa

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amc-will-be-added-to-the-20-sling-tv-plan/

19. VanityHalfBlack

Couldn't come at a better time. Next summer, my service for DirecTV expires and my bill with premium lineup without HBO channels will skyrocket to the $100s!!!!!! The only channel I watch is El Rey because I'm the King motherfukka! Plus Hulu and Netflix acct, it's like I never missed any of services.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Really seems like this is only a good deal for a one-person (or at least one-TV) household. Shucks.