1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network announces Sling TV, an online cable alternative that will feature ESPN, ESPN2, Disney C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 5, 2015.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What would be the best non-Playstation device to use Sling/Vue on? I've heard a couple good things about Roku but anybody on here have a recommendation?

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Amazon Fire TV (don't get the stick for Vue. It's laggy AF). Roku 3 is good too but the GUI is not the same and very basic/unintuitive. I do personally think the Roku app despite that crap GUI offers the best picture quality.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Honestly, picture quality is the only concern for me. If Roku offers the best quality, that probably is what I'll go with. Thank you.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I'm ready to cut the cord. Probably going with Vue. For Rockets games, I'll get league pass. Even the most expensive Vue subscription plus League Pass is cheaper than my current DIRECTV bill (which is about to go up again after a 1-year discount expires in a couple months). I did notice that CBS was not included in the Vue channel packages. What do I do for Texans games? Any recommendations for setup to watch Rockets and Texans?

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

So I'm giving this a try. Right now I just have chromecast, which I know is compatible but has anyone used it? I want to make sure I'm giving myself a chance to like sling.

I know a few people that have gone with sling, and they either abandon it right away or love it.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You may already be aware, but Rockets games are blacked out on League Pass for us, so you'd need to use some sort of VPN or IP spoofing to be able to view the games. Unless that has changed.

As for Texan games, you have over the air antenna. That's what I use. Twitter if they play on Thursday night. Monday night is ESPN however you can get it (don't know anything about Vue).

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I had Sling and recently switched to Playstation Vue. Vue is so, so, so much better. It has local channels, better interface, recording capabilities, and better channels (ESPN and FS1 in one package for example). It's not even close.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But more expensive too. I don't need all that extra stuff, just the basics for $20-30

9. MystikArkitect

Do you need a PlayStation for Vue? Example I have a networked home (Ethernet from server room to 5 TVs) how would I get Vue to all 5 TVs? 5 Playstations?

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

No. I found the Vue app on my Roku TV.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What internet do you use?

12. clutch citizen

Vue has a package in that range, and it stacks up well against the other levels. In fact, I found the middle package to be not worth it at all because the extra channels were nothing special. The only package that included extra channels I would actually want is their top level package. So for me, it's the cheapest package ($30), or the most expensive package. The most expensive package without premium channels like HBO is $45. Add another $20 if you want to add HBO and showtime.

With Vue, you can also have more than one stream. I think it's up to five. It also has the best DVR-like functionality. These two features are what sold me on Vue over Sling. I don't think Sling even has DVR or similar capabilities if I read correctly.

13. MystikArkitect

How do you watch local channels?

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I messed around and installed Kodi in my Amazon firetv stick for one of my TV's. I see a bunch of channels but I can't stream most of them. Need to play around more at this point.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I wouldn't rely on Kodi for live TV, it's inconsistent. The only consistent showings is sporting events.

16. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I don't even have Vue lol I was just trying to help out.

17. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

You mean $39 right? I don't see a $30 package.

clutch citizen likes this.
  18. clutch citizen

Yes. My mistake. It's $39. Sorry about that.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Sports is my main purpose anyway. As a bonus, there are tons of movies and there is all the pron in the world. I think it's a winner.

Dave2000 likes this.
  20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Oh I agree, just hate how people using Kodi thinking it's good to watch live TV on. I prefer to watch my shows on demand through Kodi to bypass the commercials.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.